"And Goodbye To 2018" - Morrissey Central (December 27th)

JasonKing_sj3oeh.jpg
images-1_bza0os.jpg

Ken_Dodd_2_tda3wm.jpg Unknown-1_bocaig.jpg Unknown-3_d12eer.jpg a8ba7e2145f81cc90a3712e93ab1043f0b80d2f8_t9y2r6.jpg

(P. Wyngarde, L. Fraser, K. Dodd, P. Shelley, F. Fielding & B. Reynolds).

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/and-goodbye-to-2018

A pictorial look at some of the losses in 2018.
Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Had no idea about the proposed Bowie duet for ROTT. What a missed opportunity.

Had no idea about the proposed Bowie duet for ROTT. What a missed opportunity.
From TTY, Jan., 2014:
(in a Morrissey response to a TTY Q&A).
"Who inspired you to sing?
KARICACSARY, Fontana.

Bobby Hatfield. He was the smaller of the two Righteous Brothers, and his falsetto swoop made me jump backwards over the settee. You should You Tube their You've lost that lovin' feelin', and you'll see what I mean. When I made the record Ringleader of the tormentors, the producer (Tony Visconti), who is a very close friend of David Bowie, tried to get both Bowie and I together to do our version of You've lost that lovin' feelin', with David doing the deep Bill Medley parts, and me doing the Bobby Hatfield shrieks. I loved this idea, but David wouldn't budge. I know I've criticized David in the past, but it's all been snotnosed junior high ribbing on my part. I think he knows that."

(This was the source of that song information that was then passed around by the press as Morrissey wanting to end his 'feud' with Bowie).
Regards,
FWD.

Of course Bowie was featured in pre show videos this year

He fell out with Bowie over Bowie's idea to have him fade off stage while he came on in a kind of partial duet. After all, he was the support band.

Hardly something to use the nuclear option over. He then sought Bowie out for inclusion on Ringleader Of The Tormentors, but Bowie never responded. Morrissey dismissed his abandonment of the Bowie tour as some kind of coy game he was playing; as if everyone Morrissey encounters gets off on that.

He was trying to play his usual catty hard to get game, imagining that it would project some kind of playful, artistic defiance, but it backfired. It turns out, most adults don't like mind games. They've grown up.

The reality is, he wanted to say no to Bowie's idea, but he didn't have the guts to do so, so, once again he disappeared like the flaky schizoid that he is.

You judge a person's character by how they treat other people, and Morrissey has a lengthy track record of not treating people very well; unless they cow to his ideals.

I thought Linder said that he was really depressed, popping anti-depressants because he really wanted to do it, but ultimately it was too much pressure. Anyone have that quote?

I thought Linder said that he was really depressed, popping anti-depressants because he really wanted to do it, but ultimately it was too much pressure. Anyone have that quote?
Not written, it was via this:
(at the 4:38 mark).

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:

Few were surprised when Morrissey soon pulled out of the tour (citing "illness"), but accusations that Morrissey found the experience of supporting Bowie too humiliating were cruelly wide of the mark.

"He was very ill with depression," says Jo Slee. "He wasn't really fit to go on the road, although I didn't know how ill he was until he really began to come apart at the seams."

Jo won't say what Mozzer was depressed about.

"I really couldn't say," she insists. "Morrissey's suffered from depression all his life, more than anyone else I know. It's about repressed feelings, repressed emotions, repressed pain. It needs treatment. He was taking anti-depressants at the time because he was desperate to get out on the road, he really wanted to do the dates. But it was just too much for him."

I think that it is amazing that Morrissey has paid tribute to Pete Shelley (from the group the "Buzzcocks") in spite of his McDonald's campaign, Pete implying that Morrissey was a racist and Pete Shelley's association with people like Mike Joyce, Tim Burgess (from the band "The Charlatans") and Peter Hook.

Morrissey is clearly the better man! Morrissey is prepared to let bygones be bygones. Morrissey is such a loving and forgiving person.

Pete Shelley was living in the Estonian capital Tallinn with his Estonian wife Greta before he died. Pete Shelley was open about his bisexuality. Pete Shelley was first married to a lady in 1991 and divorced in 2002. His son was born in 1993. Pete Shelley moved to Tallinn, Estonia, in 2012 with his second wife, Greta, an Estonian, preferring the less hectic pace there to life in London, England where he has been living previously. Pete Shelley died in Tallinn, Estonia of a suspected heart attack on the morning of 6th December 2018 at the age of 63. Pete Shelley formed the "Buzzcocks" with Howard Devoto in 1976. It is a sad loss for his family, friends and fans.

From TTY, Jan., 2014:
(in a Morrissey response to a TTY Q&A).
"Who inspired you to sing?
KARICACSARY, Fontana.

Bobby Hatfield. He was the smaller of the two Righteous Brothers, and his falsetto swoop made me jump backwards over the settee. You should You Tube their You've lost that lovin' feelin', and you'll see what I mean. When I made the record Ringleader of the tormentors, the producer (Tony Visconti), who is a very close friend of David Bowie, tried to get both Bowie and I together to do our version of You've lost that lovin' feelin', with David doing the deep Bill Medley parts, and me doing the Bobby Hatfield shrieks. I loved this idea, but David wouldn't budge. I know I've criticized David in the past, but it's all been snotnosed junior high ribbing on my part. I think he knows that."

(This was the source of that song information that was then passed around by the press as Morrissey wanting to end his 'feud' with Bowie).
Regards,
FWD.
Now I remember! Thank you FWD! A gem as always!

I think that it is amazing that Morrissey has paid tribute to Pete Shelley (from the group the "Buzzcocks") in spite of his McDonald's campaign, Pete implying that Morrissey was a racist and Pete Shelley's association with people like Mike Joyce, Tim Burgess (from the band "The Charlatans") and Peter Hook.

Morrissey is clearly the better man! Morrissey is prepared to let bygones be bygones. Morrissey is such a loving and forgiving person.

Pete Shelley was living in the Estonian capital Tallinn with his Estonian wife Greta before he died. Pete Shelley was open about his bisexuality. Pete Shelley was first married to a lady in 1991 and divorced in 2002. His son was born in 1993. Pete Shelley moved to Tallinn, Estonia, in 2012 with his second wife, Greta, an Estonian, preferring the less hectic pace there to life in London, England where he has been living previously. Pete Shelley died in Tallinn, Estonia of a suspected heart attack on the morning of 6th December 2018 at the age of 63. Pete Shelley formed the "Buzzcocks" with Howard Devoto in 1976. It is a sad loss for his family, friends and fans.

If anyone’s interested, he was buried in Estonia on 13th December with his family and close friends in attendance.

YES MOZ IS VERY GOOD PERSON....he forgives all the twats that have given him grief.:rock:

If anyone’s interested, he was buried in Estonia on 13th December with his family and close friends in attendance.
Thank you for this info: "If anyone’s interested, Pete Shelley was buried in Estonia on Thursday 13th December 2018 with his family and close friends in attendance."

Was he buried in the Estonian capital Tallinn? Pete Shelley moved to Tallinn, Estonia, in 2012 with his second wife, Greta, an Estonian, preferring the less hectic pace there to life in London, England where he had been living previously. Pete Shelley died on Thursday 6th December 2018 at the age of 63.

Pete Shelley (born Peter Campbell McNeish; 17th April 1955 – 6th December 2018). Pete Shelley was born to Margaret and John McNeish at 48 Milton Street, in Leigh, Lancashire. His mother was an ex-mill worker in the town and his father was a fitter at Astley Green Colliery. He had a younger brother, Gary.

One of the most famous songs from the "Buzzcocks" is "Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)". They also did "What Do I Get?". Morrissey covered the Pete Shelley composed Buzzcocks song, "You Say You Don't Love Me".

Thank you for this info: "If anyone’s interested, Pete Shelley was buried in Estonia on Thursday 13th December 2018 with his family and close friends in attendance."

Was he buried in the Estonian capital Tallinn? Pete Shelley moved to Tallinn, Estonia, in 2012 with his second wife, Greta, an Estonian, preferring the less hectic pace there to life in London, England where he had been living previously. Pete Shelley died on Thursday 6th December 2018 at the age of 63.

Pete Shelley (born Peter Campbell McNeish; 17th April 1955 – 6th December 2018). Pete Shelley was born to Margaret and John McNeish at 48 Milton Street, in Leigh, Lancashire. His mother was an ex-mill worker in the town and his father was a fitter at Astley Green Colliery. He had a younger brother, Gary.

One of the most famous songs from the "Buzzcocks" is "Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)". They also did "What Do I Get?". Morrissey covered the Pete Shelley composed Buzzcocks song, "You Say You Don't Love Me".

Never heard of him.:paranoid:

They say you can't take it with you but Pete Shelley took his feud with Morrissey to the grave due to his sudden departure. Morrissey has now laid the feud to rest with this loving remembrance and has closed the chapter on one of the most bizarre feuds in rock history.

Sam has a very odd way of writing.
Retarded In fact

The above quote from Slee was sourced from the long, incredibly informative Uncut article (1998):

Manchester's Answer To The H-Bomb
How it all blew up for Morrissey and The Smiths.

Part 1:
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/uncut0898a.htm

Part 2 (the part the Slee quote is from).
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/uncut0898b.htm

Essential reading IMHO.
Regards,
FWD.

Thanks for posting the fascinating article - it's been a long time since I read it. Love the information on Morrissey's relationships with people and the court case.

Bowie and Shelley aside (he bad-mouthed both but only recognized Shelley's death), I think Moz had a man-crush on Burt. Reynolds that is! Just look at the shirt-less wonder pic he selected. Should've went further and posted the bearskin rug photo but his animal-rights got the best of his sexual fantasy!

You can discuss the whys and wherefores of previous omissions, but I can’t see what’s not to like in this tribute to the year passed. GG Moz.

How tall was Pete Shelley? He looks like a midget in that picture. I think he must've been pretty short, because he looks short in this group picture from the same shoot:

BUZZCOCKS-3_1250.jpg

Although, to be fair to the man, he is posed a step or two back from his fellow band members. Nevertheless. I don't know; he just looks pretty short. Nothing against shortness. Roman Polanski was short (presumably still is) and he was a great director. The Buzzocks were no The Smiths, of course. Morrissey was right to criticize Pete Shelley for licensing a song to a McDonald's ad. I liked it in Autobiography when he noted the death of Neil Aspinall: "well, that's what you get for being so nasty."

:lbf:

How tall was Pete Shelley? He looks like a midget in that picture. I think he must've been pretty short, because he looks short in this group picture from the same shoot:

BUZZCOCKS-3_1250.jpg

Although, to be fair to the man, he is posed a step or two back from his fellow band members. Nevertheless. I don't know; he just looks pretty short. Nothing against shortness. Roman Polanski was short (presumably still is) and he was a great director. The Buzzocks were no The Smiths, of course. Morrissey was right to criticize Pete Shelley for licensing a song to a McDonald's ad. I liked it in Autobiography when he noted the death of Neil Aspinall: "well, that's what you get for being so nasty."

:lbf:
5 ft 4 inches

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom