Andy Rourke

It's not the first time Andy's played with Los Esmiths. Here he is playing Barbarism Begins At Home in 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is amusing,
some of you are being rather hash though.
You can like the music of a band and not like the people themselves- which is why reading band interviews in the NME when your young can ruin the music, at least for a while.

I love The Smiths but it is embarrassing for any member of any band to be reduced to playing with a tribute of their own band- well it is if you have standards.
In my mind all tribute bands are naff.

I think Rourke's bass is fantastic and so is the drumming.
Truth be told Morrissey and Marr would have got on quite well, thank you very much, with out them- indeed they both have.

Last edited:
n125404617498786_272.jpg

LOS ESMITHS with ANDY ROURKE of THE SMITHS on bass

Is that real? Next it'll be the working mens club playing bass for Smiths karaoke

God, there are some fecken idiots on this site....Morrissey became FAMOUS with The Smiths! He would never have got as famous without Johnny's lead guitar and Andy's bass because they wrote the Smiths music. Morrissey only wrote the lyrics and they are amazing, but he didn't write any music in The Smiths.
There's nothing wrong with Johnny Marr because he and Morrissey are friends and also Morrissey hasn't said anything bad about Andy Rourke as far as I've seen or heard. Whoever says that Morrissey was the only "good member" in The Smiths has a problem and needs to get it checked out! If you listen to The Smiths there's far more to the music than to most of Morrissey's solo's stuff, obviously because NOBODY can beat Johnny Marr's guitar lead guitar parts (and he was voted top 10 guitarest in the world for gods sake) and Andy's bass lines !
The Smiths 1 - Morrissey solo 0

"They" Rarely wrote the music it was mostly Marr.
Morrissey didn't just do the words and sing, he came up with "emotion ideas"- ie make it like this, add that.

Oh and lets not forget, Morrissey also, created "The Smiths World", the mindscape, the cover art, he carried out the PR- with some of the better interviews ever given, to the music press at least.
He really did throw himself into his art, in a way very few people do.
To make out he just walked into the studio with a notepad, sang and that it is, is a rather limited view on things

Last edited:
God, there are some fecken idiots on this site....Morrissey became FAMOUS with The Smiths! He would never have got as famous without Johnny's lead guitar and Andy's bass because they wrote the Smiths music. Morrissey only wrote the lyrics and they are amazing, but he didn't write any music in The Smiths.
There's nothing wrong with Johnny Marr because he and Morrissey are friends and also Morrissey hasn't said anything bad about Andy Rourke as far as I've seen or heard. Whoever says that Morrissey was the only "good member" in The Smiths has a problem and needs to get it checked out! If you listen to The Smiths there's far more to the music than to most of Morrissey's solo's stuff, obviously because NOBODY can beat Johnny Marr's guitar lead guitar parts (and he was voted top 10 guitarest in the world for gods sake) and Andy's bass lines !
The Smiths 1 - Morrissey solo 0

Are you having a laugh mate?

By the way, just what songs has Marr done in his solo life that are up there with The Smiths songs or Morrissey's best solo songs for that matter?

None I say.

Apart from a couple of half descant The The songs there is nothing Marr has done of any interest at all.

It's always Morrissey that is to blame for everything, he is always made out to be the awful one and yes he may have his moments but he isn't all bad.

Morrissey may have decided to take a bigger share of The Smiths royalties (which I think he deserved) but so too did Marr and Andy was Johnnys mate from school.
Johhny was also closer to Joyce than Morrissey was, Morrissey really only classed Marr as a friend, i think.

Last edited:
By the way, just what songs has Marr done in his solo life that are up there with The Smiths songs or Morrissey's best solo songs for that matter?

None I say.

Apart from a couple of half descant The The songs there is nothing Marr has done of any interest at all.

I liked we share the same skies. Or am I not allowed to admit this?

I added a bit more since that quote.
I pressed the submit button by mistake

Yes I really agree with you mentioning that 'smiths' was infact all Morrissey with regards to them as a whole and the way they were seen artisticly. I'm still cringing at Joyce doing this tribute thing, really embarrassing

Andy was a guest and it's not such a humbling thing to do. I think he likes to play together them, if he doesn't, he won't join Los Esmites.

I don't see how Rourke appearing with a Smiths tribute band is any worse than Ian Brown fronting the Clone Roses like he did a few years ago. And thousands went to that!

And for sure, for those who never got to see The Smiths live, this certainly adds more to the legacy than when the rhythm section played with Vinny Peculiar or when Marr attempts coolness by joining bands like The Cribs or Modest Mouse.

In defence of Marr, he wrote Walking Down Madison with Kirtsy MacColl & Sexuality with Billy Bragg. I happen to think those two amongst a few others, stand up to the best of The Smiths & Morrissey solo.

To be in a faux band is bad enough. To once have been a genuine member and find yourself at the only gig you can get to play is as a novelty act, is pathetic.

It's not like The Smiths were ever going to play together again anyway, but that poster guarantees it. :lbf:

Morrissey didn't just do the words and sing, he came up with "emotion ideas"- ie make it like this, add that.

Oh and lets not forget, Morrissey also, created "The Smiths World", the mindscape, the cover art, he carried out the PR- with some of the better interviews ever given, to the music press at least.
He really did throw himself into his art, in a way very few people do.
To make out he just walked into the studio with a notepad, sang and that it is, is a rather limited view on things

Morrissey was also coming up with the vocal melody to Marr's music ...

Even Andy's supporters must see that this is a bit of a comedown surely?

Andy had a lot of opportunities to work with decent artists after the Smiths, but you need to be reliable to keep getting work like that. Even with his djing he seems to think he can just turn up late, drink vodka all night and pocket the cash. It's not the way to get repeat bookings.

Where are you getting your information? Johnny never wrote the bass part, that was all Andy. Johnny never came up with the drum patterns, that was Mike.
Marr still praises Andy and Mike for what they contributed to the Smiths.

Is there a reason that you don't like the members? Did you read an interview that made you not like any of the three? Do you not like the way they look?
How can you like someones music and not like them? Please tell specifically and individually, what you don't like about Johnny, Mike or Andy?

Maybe he thinks they're boring.

And he'd be correct.

Back
Top Bottom