Anonymous Users

So you'd rather not engage with that person to begin with? You can choose not to. It's likely they wouldn't be posting if it weren't for the ability to post anonymously.

The point is that it's next to impossible to have any kind of ongoing conversation with anonymous posters, since there's no way to distinguish them from one another. I think this leads to LESS participation, especially among registered members—not more.

Of course, I'm not concerned with page views since this isn't my site. I'm interested in quality of conversation.

So you'd rather not engage with that person to begin with? You can choose not to. It's likely they wouldn't be posting if it weren't for the ability to post anonymously.

You're right. Some of these anonymous posters are good and I would like to engage with them. It just becomes confusing and then you don't know who you are talking too.

I don't know what to do, other than encourage them to join. Some of your members don't exchange with them and I can understand that too. It's a tough one.

If your implication is that decisions are made based on page views then there isn't any point talking further. Just know this site has been around 17+ years and not everyone uses the site the way you want to.

The point is that it's next to impossible to have any kind of ongoing conversation with anonymous posters, since there's no way to distinguish them from one another. I think this leads to LESS participation, especially among registered members—not more.

Of course, I'm not concerned with page views since this isn't my site. I'm interested in quality of conversation.

If your implication is that decisions are made based on page views then there isn't any point talking further. Just know this site has been around 17+ years and not everyone uses the site the way you want to.

Yes, I know the site has been around for 17+ years, and I also know that not everyone feels the same way about everything as I do, from the latest Morrissey album to the taste of cilantro to anonymous posting. I'm a big girl.

So are you saying you aren't at all concerned about forum traffic potentially declining if you were to disallow anonymous comments? I find that hard to believe, and that's not a criticism. It's just factual: I don't have to worry about that stuff, because this isn't my site. It's normal (and wise) for site owners to care about traffic, especially when that traffic translates into revenue that can be used to at least in part cover the expense of running said site without having to charge its users.

I guess if you're going to shut down the discussion completely because I dared suggest such a thing, then that's that. I don't think anyone in this thread is attacking you, being unkind, or even trying to tell you what to do, though. These are all just suggestions, and they come from a standpoint of wanting to improve the community.

These suggestions have already been made and addressed as I mentioned previously. Glad to know you are a big girl and can handle different people having different preferences.

http://allyouneedismorrissey.com seems to have exactly what you want, have you tried using it?

Yes, I know the site has been around for 17+ years, and I also know that not everyone feels the same way about everything as I do, from the latest Morrissey album to the taste of cilantro to anonymous posting. I'm a big girl.

So are you saying you aren't at all concerned about forum traffic potentially declining if you were to disallow anonymous comments? I find that hard to believe, and that's not a criticism. It's just factual: I don't have to worry about that stuff, because this isn't my site. It's normal (and wise) for site owners to care about traffic, especially when that traffic translates into revenue that can be used to at least in part cover the expense of running said site without having to charge its users.

I guess if you're going to shut down the discussion completely because I dared suggest such a thing, then that's that. I don't think anyone in this thread is attacking you, being unkind, or even trying to tell you what to do, though. These are all just suggestions, and they come from a standpoint of wanting to improve the community.

These suggestions have already been made and addressed as I mentioned previously. Glad to know you are a big girl and can handle different people having different preferences.

http://allyouneedismorrissey.com seems to have exactly what you want, have you tried using it?

Holy dramatics. I didn't think you'd have such a problem with having a normal discussion. Why does everything have to be perceived as an attack? Why are you being so defensive and condescending? I wasn't aware that the solution proposed by Librarian On Fire was already addressed, or when and why you concluded that it's a terrible suggestion.

But never mind, dude. You've succeeded in putting me in my place by trotting out the old reliable AYNIM response. Congratulations! :rolleyes:

David, you've always been the voice of reason - yet your reply to Chickpea makes you sound like a whiny teenage girl getting ready to start her period.

Most of us come here because we love the site and think highly of you.
We presented suggestions for what we believe would improve the dynamics here. That's all.
Sheeesh. Go take some Midol.

She's the one that started with:

I'm open to suggestions but they have to have some backing. These suggestions have already been made several times before. I asked how it is different from AYNIM, and she doesn't have an answer. Do you have experience running a site or can you show me some examples of what you are suggesting (like a URL or three)? No, ok, why should I listen to you then?

David, you've always been the voice of reason - yet your reply to Chickpea makes you sound like a whiny teenage girl getting ready to start her period.

Most of us come here because we love the site and think highly of you.
We presented suggestions for what we believe would improve the dynamics here. That's all.
Sheeesh. Go take some Midol.

I asked how it is different from AYNIM, and she doesn't have an answer.

You did? I don't see that question anywhere here, sorry. Even if you did ask it somewhere, I wouldn't have been able to respond as I've never visited that website or used its message board. I've been a Solo member off and on for well over a decade, though, and I like this place. I've never looked for a substitute, because I don't think one is needed. That doesn't mean I don't think there are ways to improve Solo, though—and again, that's not a personal attack on you or on the site.

I can't give you one or three examples of forums that require users to log in after making 10 anonymous posts, because I don't visit any other forums. You'd have to ask Librarian On Fire.

I do have many years of experience running several high-volume websites, but that's neither here nor there as far as this discussion is concerned—why would I mention it? Sometimes the best ideas come without any precedent, though, so it's not always possible to provide backing via example. That doesn't make the idea invalid or worthless, it just means it's new.

I'm being tough because this is actually a big change that is suggested. I've spent years refining this kind of stuff so when someone comes with a suggestion to completely change it, it has to be more than just something someone got frustrated with because it doesn't fit their ideal. I need clear a clear illustration of how it would be better. That's why I wrote that page on posting policy and included arguments for anonymous comments. I'd like to see counterarguments to what is there before making a change to get rid of it.

Right, something doesn't necessarily need a precedent but it helps. If I want to learn about the stars I'm going to an experienced astronomer, not the local bootmaker who says he knows how it works.

You did? I don't see that question anywhere here, sorry. Even if you did ask it somewhere, I wouldn't have been able to respond as I've never visited that website or used its message board. I've been a Solo member off and on for well over a decade, though, and I like this place. I've never looked for a substitute, because I don't think one is needed. That doesn't mean I don't think there are ways to improve Solo, though—and again, that's not a personal attack on you or on the site.

I can't give you one or three examples of forums that require users to log in after making 10 anonymous posts, because I don't visit any other forums. You'd have to ask Librarian On Fire.

I do have many years of experience running several high-volume websites, but that's neither here nor there as far as this discussion is concerned—why would I mention it? Sometimes the best ideas come without any precedent, though, so it's not always possible to provide backing via example. That doesn't make the idea invalid or worthless, it just means it's new.

Is there a way an anonymous poster can be tagged as a "likely" repeat poster based on their posting location? That's probably beyond the capability of the software, but a way they can remain anonymous yet we can say "Oh look, it's likely this person also had this idea.."

You know how you have two minutes to correct a post before it says "Edited" on the bottom? Can anonymous posts run the last ten digits of their posting location (I can't think of the word for it) on the bottom?

Something like that was discussed earlier, displaying a hash of a user's IP address instead of the actual address. My conclusion was that it would add some clutter to every post and not worth it for the few people that would actually use it. Also, with the use of proxies it can be manipulated.

Anonymous posts are good for information or commentary on a topic, but not necessarily conversation. I encourage anonymous users to log in if they want to converse with other users.

Is there a way an anonymous poster can be tagged as a "likely" repeat poster based on their posting location? That's probably beyond the capability of the software, but a way they can remain anonymous yet we can say "Oh look, it's likely this person also had this idea.."

You know how you have two minutes to correct a post before it says "Edited" on the bottom? Can anonymous posts run the last ten digits of their posting location (I can't think of the word for it) on the bottom?

Something like that was discussed earlier, displaying a hash of a user's IP address instead of the actual address. My conclusion was that it would add some clutter to every post and not worth it for the few people that would actually use it. Also, with the use of proxies it can be manipulated.

Anonymous posts are good for information or commentary on a topic, but not necessarily conversation. I encourage anonymous users to log in if they want to converse with other users.

Please provide one to three examples of how it would add clutter to the posts and that not everyone would use it? :D

Personally I dont mind anonymous posts. I also don't think the issue of proxie abuse would play into what these people are talking about. The goal is not to say this anon came from this location, just that this anon is different from that anon.

I know you are sort of joking but I did provide an example earlier (previous post):

Example of a post with added IP info on every post:

http://www.gamersoul.com/forums/showthread.php?270868-Shumi-JQ-CLB

From experience, most people do not use 'advanced' features so it's best to keep things simple.

Edit: it doesn't seem difficult to do, perhaps it can be added to anonymous posts without being too intrusive.

Please provide one to three examples of how it would add clutter to the posts and that not everyone would use it? :D

Personally I dont mind anonymous posts. I also don't think the issue of proxie abuse would play into what these people are talking about. The goal is not to say this anon came from this location, just that this anon is different from that anon.

Last edited:
IP hash has been added to anonymous posts in the left side info section, in the forums only (not in main page article comments). Now you can at least tell which posts came from the same IP address. This is only visible to registered users by the way. Not too much clutter after all :)

Thanks for the suggestion CG.

I've sort of followed this debate and would like to contribute -other than in a silly way. Why I bother I dunno. :D

I noticed a sharp decline in traffic on this site too. And when? Right around the time when a certain person started wearing a certain T. shirt. Suddenly, everyone vaguely interesting, and a few great people, just upped and left. They just left. And I don't think they ever post anymore, even anonymously?
They didn't just give up on this site. Some tried AYNIM for a while, they dropped the surface of the virtual earth.
They didn't just give up on websites, they gave up on Morrissey himself.
That's true even on some foreign websites, on which the administrator, who is far from being banned from Morrissey gigs, can never be bothered enough to post any kind of info or gig account himself to keep his site alive.
So, just like climate change, I'd say it's an accelerating phenomenon.

As far as "the sense of community" is concerned, well, I've been on Solo since the late nineties, with different usernames. I never really felt this was a community. This site has always had "characters" that were louder and more visible than others. They came and went. This never gave birth to a "community", just little clusters of like-minded people at times, taking over threads. I did that myself when a few nutty people were around, and we often turned the most serious topics into the Silly Olympics. That spirit is still alive within a few very naughty posters here :D

I remember a particular thread someone started that was called "say something nice about someone on Solo." Well I checked every page of it and nobody ever said anything nice about me. :p So I thought nobody would mind if I became anonymous :D

Besides, I had another reason. Yes, I won't hide it, I wanted to confuse some people. Be less immediately identifiable. Why I did is really none of your business (lol) but if you've ever paid enough attention to me when I was alive and not anonymous, you may have an idea why.

Now, if there's some way of identifying me again, I will be deprived of that choice and probably won't post much anymore.

I think that will suit plenty of people fine, including people who think Solo (and himself) are f***ed.

I just hope there'll always be funny or cute pics of pets to look at, and that the people who make me laugh continue posting even after Morrissey dies.

Also, I think I've contributed plenty to this site in my more energetic days, and, although everyone is entitled to their opinion, they might want to consider that we anonymouses are people, too.

Lastly, I want to thank David again. Not for keeping this site alive no matter what, but for having the guts to put up with all the shit he's been through. Once again I compare him with other site administrators who are nothing but touchy immature selfish tards who rarely engage positively with their users. On the other end of the spectrum we have mild-mannered administrators with a traffic of about 30 people on their site... (plus I get a virus alert everytime I try to check it, which makes me lol.)

So I for one think David is a very special and patient guy.

the end.

Thank you very much, David. That will certainly help us to distinguishing one anonymous posters from another.

Great idea, CG.

IP hash has been added to anonymous posts in the left side info section, in the forums only (not in main page article comments). Now you can at least tell which posts came from the same IP address. This is only visible to registered users by the way. Not too much clutter after all :)

Thanks for the suggestion CG.

Great idea David. Thanks. Although I need to get the hexadecimal converter out. :p

P.

Back
Top Bottom