Are recent fans more loyal to Morrissey than older fans?

Morrissey has definitely entered a new phase. For me, the "non-sung" aspect eclipses the music of it (though a few high points persist, such as The Girl from Tel-Aviv and Staircase at the University: "and if you breaks your legs then don't come running to me" is as fine as anything from 1984 or 85). I thought Autobiography revealed Morrissey as not only the greatest lyricist and singer of his age, but the greatest writer as well. List of the Lost confirmed it. And the interviews are more daring than ever: the tone is, if possible, even more heedless and combative; the utterances absolutely godlike.

Maybe he's separating the wheat from the chaff. The angry contingent of horrified former fans condemning him as racist verges on glorious (since many of them are bigger Nazis than Morrissey could ever be on account of their smug and blithe meat consumption). It's like when you watch one of those "creature feature" disaster movies, and you see all the panicked people shrieking in the streets—their comfortable lives upended! That's actually enjoyable. I always rooted for Godzilla or King Kong over the humans. Their rampages were magnificent. And I will always side with Morrissey, who at this point is clearly incapable of mortal misstep. Plus, he looks like a Russian mobster (also magnificent). We never would've thought thirty years ago that he might be improved by middle age and some heft—and yet. Those eyebrows were made for graying hair and a gentle tan. Rampage away, thou coolest person ever.

The new fans, if they're in it for the new music, then I guess I'm a little perplexed. But if they're in it for everything, then I completely understand.

Moz is that you???

A fan of Morrissey mentioned on twitter that they felt that recent Morrissey fans seemed to be more loyal. The recent fans seem to be able to give Morrissey the benefit of the doubt and focus on the music. They also said that quite a lot of the older fans were jumping ship and giving up on Morrissey. Do you think this is true? How do you feel about it?

Generally, I can't relate to old people. The way they think is just so different from how young people—and I mean people even younger than I am who might be getting in to Morrissey now or in the future—think. It's night and day. So I think part of it is, then, that younger people aren't going to get triggered when Morrissey says something "controversial" like the average 50-year-old fan might.

Recent fans are more likely to feel moved by the passion of the Moz to start threads about the bloody lefties, the bloody muslims, the bloody media, the bloody people who criticise him, etc etc than older fans, I think. And more likely to channel the great man's wit into devestating put-downs such as "look at this photo of an enemy, he's hardly James Dean, how can he expect us to take his rhetoric seriously?"

The Quarry era was a wonderful time (although quite a few older fans thought he’d already lost it).

Morrissey’s genius makes his current fall that much more distressing.

So you're becoming disenchanted about Morrissey's "fall" from his "genius" standard and yet you didn't get any hints from List of the Lost?

Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

At a time of historic peril, when the US government (such as it is) is attempting to stoke racial fears, destabilize democracies and align itself with a global racist, neo-Nazi, white-nationalist movement, it is supremely unhelpful (if not outright idiotic) to publicly parrot their language if you don’t agree with their aims.

LMFAO.

Thank you for the shining example.

A fan of Morrissey mentioned on twitter that they felt that recent Morrissey fans seemed to be more loyal. The recent fans seem to be able to give Morrissey the benefit of the doubt and focus on the music. They also said that quite a lot of the older fans were jumping ship and giving up on Morrissey. Do you think this is true? How do you feel about it?
Younger Morrissey fans find easier to deal with Morrissey's bad comments, because they haven't really known the young, clever, witty and charming Morrissey. They haven't lived The Smiths and early Morrissey stories. The older fans have seen the before and after, they have seen how Morrissey has become in a person almost non recognisable. He has loose most of his charm and eloquence. He just goes against anything and anyone no matter what, to the point that it has become a habit. Older fans find it difficult, because his songs and his persona have become part of their lives for many years. To refuse one of your all times idols is not easy task. The younger generations follow him, mainly because he is a cult music icon, but there's no much more than that in most cases.
Personally, I find difficult at times to listen to him, as he has become so square minded and he seems not to be reasonable and think before opening his mouth in such insulting way. However, I haven't divorced myself from him yet and at the moment I am not planning to do so. I am trying to be open minded, as he hasn't instigate anything bad or done wrong. He simply has views that lack compassion and, at times, even intelligence. Views that I don't share, with the exception of animals welfare.

Yes the heft of middle age bloat more like; having never turned down a slice of toast. Its almost too comically gushy to be sincere - surely its a wind up?

I'm not Fiona Dodwell, but I will absolutely cop to being "comically gushy" when it comes to Morrissey. I know no other way to be; it seems the only appropriate response. What I envy of Ms. Dodwell is that she can have a romantic and sexual crush on Morrissey. In a way, I think his gay obsessives probably have it the best because for sure there's always been something homoerotic in Morrissey's presentation (regardless of the Morrissey era, though in some more so than others). Unfortunately that door is closed to me, but it seems like it would be the most complete and fulfilling form of Morrissey adoration: to not only admire but to pine for him.

Younger Morrissey fans find easier to deal with Morrissey's bad comments, because they haven't really known the young, clever, witty and charming Morrissey. They haven't lived The Smiths and early Morrissey stories. The older fans have seen the before and after, they have seen how Morrissey has become in a person almost non recognisable. He has loose most of his charm and eloquence. He just goes against anything and anyone no matter what, to the point that it has become a habit. Older fans find it difficult, because his songs and his persona have become part of their lives for many years. To refuse one of your all times idols is not easy task. The younger generations follow him, mainly because he is a cult music icon, but there's no much more than that in most cases.
Personally, I find difficult at times to listen to him, as he has become so square minded and he seems not to be reasonable and think before opening his mouth in such insulting way. However, I haven't divorced myself from him yet and at the moment I am not planning to do so. I am trying to be open minded, as he hasn't instigate anything bad or done wrong. He simply has views that lack compassion and, at times, even intelligence. Views that I don't share, with the exception of animals welfare.

I totally agree with you that in interviews, Morrissey has become a totally different, and often unrecognizable person. I remember the old days, 80s and 90s, when a Morrissey interview was something to really be excited about. Now, I prefer not to read them anymore. He's not funny anymore, shows barely any empathy, and has generally adopted a harsher language that has become more accepted in other media as well. He has become a very withdrawn person too, with almost no appetite to talk to (music) journalists and a seemingly reduced ability to express himself.
I am not sure that he is more against everything now than he was in the earlier days, as he has always been the type to go against the flow, something which I found more attractive then than now. we have moved on in different directions.
But I also agree with FWD, at some point you have to separate the artist as a person from his art and move on. If you can still connect with the art, then you can hang in there, if not, then you can channel your interests towards other artists. I do both. That being said, Morrissey still has a uniqueness that lift him way above the average at his better moments.

I totally agree with you that in interviews, Morrissey has become a totally different, and often unrecognizable person. I remember the old days, 80s and 90s, when a Morrissey interview was something to really be excited about. Now, I prefer not to read them anymore. He's not funny anymore, shows barely any empathy, and has generally adopted a harsher language that has become more accepted in other media as well. He has become a very withdrawn person too, with almost no appetite to talk to (music) journalists and a seemingly reduced ability to express himself.
I am not sure that he is more against everything now than he was in the earlier days, as he has always been the type to go against the flow, something which I found more attractive then than now. we have moved on in different directions.
But I also agree with FWD, at some point you have to separate the artist as a person from his art and move on. If you can still connect with the art, then you can hang in there, if not, then you can channel your interests towards other artists. I do both. That being said, Morrissey still has a uniqueness that lift him way above the average at his better moments.

I agree. He’s hardened and doesn’t seem to really want to entertain in interviews he way he used to. Some of this is probably down to his negative experiences with the press over the years and some down to just not feeling the desire to impress or prove himself the way people do when they are young. He doesn’t seem to want the adoration of people the way he used to. In some ways despite the running off at the mouth he’s more closed off than ever. There have been some bits of humor in some interviews though. The Thomas Mann line for instance

None so loyal as Skinny.

He found Damon and is now realising that life as a gay man in a relationship is exactly as depressing as it is for a man living with a woman.
Can't live with them and so on....
He should find a young swedish lover and get some real Marabou on his rod.

I'm not Fiona Dodwell, but I will absolutely cop to being "comically gushy" when it comes to Morrissey. I know no other way to be; it seems the only appropriate response. What I envy of Ms. Dodwell is that she can have a romantic and sexual crush on Morrissey. In a way, I think his gay obsessives probably have it the best because for sure there's always been something homoerotic in Morrissey's presentation (regardless of the Morrissey era, though in some more so than others). Unfortunately that door is closed to me, but it seems like it would be the most complete and fulfilling form of Morrissey adoration: to not only admire but to pine for him.
Oh well mdear good luck to you and each to their own. If I confessed to now being sexually attracted to Moz people would worry I'm on a slippery slope to necrophilia.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

At a time of historic peril, when the US government (such as it is) is attempting to stoke racial fears, destabilize democracies and align itself with a global racist, neo-Nazi, white-nationalist movement, it is supremely unhelpful (if not outright idiotic) to publicly parrot their language if you don’t agree with their aims.
Quite right. I just wish people would describe Morrissey as 'supremely unhelpful' rather than 'racist', as it's entirely accurate and I suspect Morrissey would agree. Also, it would make a great title for his next album.

Last edited:
I agree. He’s hardened and doesn’t seem to really want to entertain in interviews he way he used to. Some of this is probably down to his negative experiences with the press over the years and some down to just not feeling the desire to impress or prove himself the way people do when they are young. He doesn’t seem to want the adoration of people the way he used to. In some ways despite the running off at the mouth he’s more closed off than ever. There have been some bits of humor in some interviews though. The Thomas Mann line for instance
I think he still loves the admiration from his fans. You can tell when you see him life. I agree that interviews now are not as good and he comes across like a 'grumpy old man'. It is true that some press has not been nice to him during many years, but now he is treating everyone like bad and that's not good either. Perhaps from now on he could just have a website and put videos with self interviews and when he is launching a new album.

Apropos of nothing, really:

My nine year-old daughter and I took a summer drive and popped in Low in High School, very loud. It is amazing. Her wee face as she sang along to every word was quite something.

I really miss talking about the wonderful music.

Well that was fun, swallowing my breakfast all over again when it tried climbing back out.

Apropos of nothing, really:

My nine year-old daughter and I took a summer drive and popped in Low in High School, very loud. It is amazing. Her wee face as she sang along to every word was quite something.

I really miss talking about the wonderful music.

I think he still loves the admiration from his fans. You can tell when you see him life. I agree that interviews now are not as good and he comes across like a 'grumpy old man'. It is true that some press has not been nice to him during many years, but now he is treating everyone like bad and that's not good either. Perhaps from now on he could just have a website and put videos with self interviews and when he is launching a new album.

Yeah he for sure does enjoy the live performance and the crowd reaction, I’ve seen him three times now, but I guess I mean he doesn’t seem as interested in gaining the general public’s respect. When you’re young you want to talk about yourself and impress but that fades the older you get. I wonder if he just questions the point of interviews anymore. I mean as nice as some of these question were compared to other interviews he’s still getting asked about the guitarist from his first solo album. For a man who doesn’t like most people or talking to people why would he want to talk to interviewers so he can supposedly speak to even more people. He seems to begrudgingly do it because of promo reasons but he doesn’t seem to enjoy it. I prefers the essays that used to appear on true to you much more and felt they were much more revealing than hese interviews have been. He’s always said everything’s in the songs and I think morrissey would probably wish that would be enough for people

Back
Top Bottom