Arthur Lee & Love - "Five String Serenade"

dallow_bg

the one he left behind
Long after his creative peak had gone, he managed to write this gem.
I believe Mazzy Star covered it on one of her albums.

Please download, what do you think of it?

http://savefile.com/files/58312

Last edited:
You were right, this is a gem and thank you for sharing it with us. I've never listened to Love so I can't compare it with his earlier work. The first notes are captivating. Later I thought it's too flat but after listening to the whole song it felt like even the repetitiveness makes sense.
I love the vocalist too. Pardon my ignorance, that's not Arthur? Sounds like he has a really powerful voice. Reminded me of William Topley a bit.

It really is Arthur.
Yes, I noticed the flatness in voice in the second half, though I'm not sure if its on purpose, or due to his age. I'm glad you liked it though.

Compare his voice to these tracks from circa 1967, all are beautiful.
http://savefile.com/files/59451

Orange Skies & She Comes In Colors
from their second album, Da Capo

You Set The Scene & Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale
from the third album, Forever Changes

Thanks, haven't heard of it but will check it out.

by the way, you once posted a Libertines-song here, and it's so great!!!! (music when the lights go out)

First I played Orange Skies, and it was like I was teleported to a Carribbean beach. It reminded me of "Ask" . I needed a cocktail!
She Comes In Colors lacks something... "u" in the tittle, possibly? No, hooks. I have a distinctly commercial taste, you see. :p
I loved Maybe The People Would Be... , it has a great rhythm, you just can't sit still when you listen to it. The whole instrumentation is great, and the horns make it sound a little Carribbean too. If not Spanish. Something Latin, anyway. (I may be getting the clue to your taste if you also posted Music When The Lights Go Out ;) ) You Set The Scene is a classic. All in all they seem to be well rooted in their time and there's the prospect of having them in my playlist next to The Zombies. :)
Anyway, it's surprising how similar in certain ways Five String Serenade is to them. Less exuberant though, but I guess it comes with the age. (And so does the better production!) At last - the voice. It can't be the same person! And the style of singing seems to be different too. But you're the expert :D
Thank you for chosing the best of the best - I always prefer it when someone else does the hard work for me.

Back
Top Bottom