Article: "List of the Lost" reviews in The Guardian (#2), Emily ReyNOlds; TTY UK bookshop photo; med

An anonymous person posts the link:

List of the Lost by Morrissey review – 'verbose, tangential, unfocused' by Alex Clark - The Guardian
There’s so much inelegant confusion in this story of a teenage relay team that a short novel feels far too long. Moz has dropped the baton and what he needs is an editor

"Some sentences are pure gibberish."

Detritus posted the link:

"List of the Lost" review by Emily ReyNOlds (1 out of 10) - Medium

Morran sends the link:

Morrissey's 'List of the Lost' is launched in the UK - true-to-you.net
24 September 2015

morrissey_s_list_of_the_lost_is_launched_in_the_uk.jpg

Morrissey's debut novel, List of the Lost: the 10 most embarrassing lines by Michael Deacon - The Telegraph. Link posted by an anonymous person (original post).

Morrissey's debut novel: not one, but two outrageous sex scenes
by Alice Vincent - The Telegraph. Link posted by an anonymous person (original post).

Morrissey Debut Novel Savaged In First Reviews - Sky News

Morrissey's debut novel has got everyone talking - but not for the right reasons - Irish Examiner

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read it and absolutely love it, so not everyone else says it's shit after all. I will write a review tomorrow. You were never going to like it - you'd made up your mind before it was even written.

R

Stop being a f***ing dick. I read it and made up my mind, just like you did. I could equally allege that you made up you loved it before you even read it, and quite rightly you'd say the allegation was nonsense. Listen to yourself. You're quite literally ridiculous - worthy of ridicule. Now stop being such a bulbous salutation.

Last edited:
I am still stunned he even found the time to write anything. I am going to love it. Hey haters who can never see anything positive about Morrissey....I don't see your novel on Amazon so F$$$ off.

Agreed!

:thumb:

I have just finished the book. I approached it having read some of the early reviews so I was expecting the worst. Sure there are some editing issues etc but on a whole I enjoyed the book and felt some of it was entertaining. I enjoyed it and it felt different to any other novel I have read as Morrissey has such a unique writing style - I think some of the early reviews (The Guardian one in particular) were premeditated hatchet jobs...but at the end of the day it is a piece art, like a picture or a movie an album or a song....what speaks to some people doesn't speak to others...some people start a fire in your heart some people you don't ever think twice about...ultimately the only review that matters is your own personal opinion and there is no point in criticising a person because their own view doesn't align with yours.

I have to say, regardless of your stance on the book, the comments of one commentator here, belittling mainstream public opinion and the importance of the artist makes me chuckle.

DOES THIS PERSON KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MORRISSEY?, HAVE THEY NOT READ AUTOBIOGRAPHY?

He would love public acceptance.

"I am a universal artist"

He is also clearly obsessed with chart positions for his music - releasing statements on TTY telling the world how much airplay he received on German college radio, where "List of.." has charted in pre-orders sales in the Gothic Romance charts!.

Since the day and hour he became involved in recorded music, he has bemoaned record companies not promoting him enough.

The LAST thing Morrissey wants is artistic obscurity.

'For every reviewer reeling off why it just isn’t that good, there’s a fan crying that Morrissey’s genius isn’t understood. Award-winning author and poet, Tim Clare, writes a blog called Death of 1000 Cuts, where he critiques the first page of new authors’ work and explains (in no uncertain terms) what they can do if they are serious about improving their writing. We asked him to have a look and see if the criticism for List of the Lost is justified.

'.....hang like a grisly totem over the entrance of the novel, asserting to all who enter ‘NO EDITORS SHALL PASS’.'

The internal rhymes of ‘hand’/’command’ and ‘expressions’/’possession’ resound with the unmistakable clank of a gigantic tin ear for prose. I haven’t read a sentence this gloriously foul since the opening to Amanda McKittrick Ros’ Delina Delaney, which Northrop Frye diagnosed as suffering ‘a kind of literary diabetes’.

"Look at them now in their manful splendor and wonder…"

You’ve switched to the present tense! I can’t believe it! Actually laudable in its wretched majesty.

'There’s nothing wrong with ambition, Morrissey, and we must remember that the ability to write a novel is not a referendum on one’s value as a human being. Prose this garishly purple implies a lack of confidence. Try to execute a simple declarative sentence before moving onto more complex constructions. Verbosity does not make you James Joyce. It makes you a boor.'

https://www.list.co.uk/article/7503...slices-and-dices-morrisseys-list-of-the-lost/

Despite a few diehards on the forums who would gladly accept a warm stinking turd hurled directly into their mouths by Morrissey as a tremendous honour, this...well, let's charitably call it a book...has only further cemented his reputation as a deluded has-been to the wider world.

And so be it. It's a reputation he's worked his damndest at for many years now, surrounding himself with yes men and talentless collaborators, each new album being greeted with successively less interest, his inability to meet anyone halfway or adjust to the modern music business rendering him unsignable, his every juvenile shock-value demanding outburst now met with little more than a shrug and an eyeroll by a public whose only remaining interest in him is as a laughingstock.

And really, what else of interest is left to this sad old man whose glory days are decades behind him. A man who's absolutely colossal ego long since eclipsed his ever diminishing talent. A man who doesn't need an editor because, dammit, he can do it all. Boz and his boyfriend told him so. Bulbous salutations to you all.

Despite a few diehards on the forums who would gladly accept a warm stinking turd hurled directly into their mouths by Morrissey as a tremendous honour, this...well, let's charitably call it a book...has only further cemented his reputation as a deluded has-been to the wider world.

And so be it. It's a reputation he's worked his damndest at for many years now, surrounding himself with yes men and talentless collaborators, each new album being greeted with successively less interest, his inability to meet anyone halfway or adjust to the modern music business rendering him unsignable, his every juvenile shock-value demanding outburst now met with little more than a shrug and an eyeroll by a public whose only remaining interest in him is as a laughingstock.

And really, what else of interest is left to this sad old man whose glory days are decades behind him. A man who's absolutely colossal ego long since eclipsed his ever diminishing talent. A man who doesn't need an editor because, dammit, he can do it all. Boz and his boyfriend told him so. Bulbous salutations to you all.

Sir (or Lady) I deeply respect your view. But,
When words aren't enough to describe the way someone else's words set to music/novel(a) make you feel, you know you are dealing with a genius.
LIST OF THE LOST - majestic book

Sir (or Lady) I deeply respect your view. But,
When words aren't enough to describe the way someone else's words set to music/novel(a) make you feel, you know you are dealing with a genius.
LIST OF THE LOST - majestic book

Are you going to do this with every single post you disagree with? You're on the losing side. Mate. And now on block. Goodbye.

I am pretty sure there is supposed to be something hypnotic/spellbinding/lullabyish about this. From what I can tell he's being intentionally non-prosaic. I cannot believe how angry people are getting, or upset.

Where do you get the idea that "people are angry or upset"? I compared the sentence I selected to a children's book because that is how I read it. Why is it that when anyone writes anything here that doesn't praise and laud what Morrissey does they are immediately angry or out to get him? This forum is for a free exchange of ideas. I think you are reading more into things than actually exist. A deep breath might help.

Where do you get the idea that "people are angry or upset"? I compared the sentence I selected to a children's book because that is how I read it. Why is it that when anyone writes anything here that doesn't praise and laud what Morrissey does they are immediately angry or out to get him? This forum is for a free exchange of ideas. I think you are reading more into things than actually exist. A deep breath might help.

God you are tiresome.

I think people preconceived this book as a writing they could escape into using their imagination while reading. For me this book is to be read like poetry. You have to go slow, think about what you've read, absorb your thoughts and then the visuals will follow. That's how it appears to me from the excerpts I've read.

"Reader, meet Author with the hope of hearing sense, but you may be feeling let down, by the words of defence..."

Last edited:
That's how it appears to me from the excerpts I've read. "Reader, meet Author with the hope of hearing sense, but you may be feeling let down, by the words of defence..."

With respect, I think you should read the book before criticising it. Taken as a whole, it is - sadly - far worse than a few clumsy lines taken out of context. I wish it were otherwise, I really do.

I think people preconceived this book as a writing they could escape into using their imagination while reading. For me this book is to be read like poetry. You have to go slow, think about what you've read, absorb your thoughts and then the visuals will follow. That's how it appears to me from the excerpts I've read. "Reader, meet Author with the hope of hearing sense, but you may be feeling let down, by the words of defence..."

Ironically, the message of "Reader Meet Author" is anything but supportive of the position of the "Author."

Ironically, the message of "Reader Meet Author" is anything but supportive of the position of the "Author."

Thanks, you got why I posted that at the end. Things seem to always fall ironic with Morrissey :)

With respect, I think you should read the book before criticising it. Taken as a whole, it is - sadly - far worse than a few clumsy lines taken out of context. I wish it were otherwise, I really do.

The Reader quote was an added after thought. I wasn't criticizing the book, I was interpreting the feel of the book from the excerpts...but I may be wrong in my view. I'm awaiting my copy for delivery.

Reads like William Burroughs by way of James Joyce.

neat i was thinking of joyce but im not to into burroughs to much and the two novels of his i do own are the more boring straight ones junkie and the one whos name i cant remember now. that line is for sure gonna be stuck in my head when i read it now

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom