"Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 3

Updated list of Autobiography reviews / media reviews.

A Plain Life Becoming a National Treasure by Ben Ratliff - The New York Times

This Not-So-Charming Man: GQ’s Morrissey Bureau Chief Reviews Morrissey’s Autobiography by Chris Heath (5 pages) - GQ. Link posted by Uncleskinny.
There isn't a bigger Morrissey fan alive, but our own Chris Heath finds the crooner's autobiographical epic to be just as dour, over-the-top, and frustrating as even the man's staunchest devotees might expect

Miaow! It's Morrissey's maliciously memorable memoirs by Michael Deacon - The Telegraph. Link from Jase.
Autobiography by Morrissey – reviewed in the style of Autobiography by Morrissey

Related items:

Last edited:
I also couldn't believe that there was no mention of Swindon, nor the Liverpool Echo Arena! I understand that he may very well want to forget about the whole Liverpool incident, but the collapse on stage in Swindon was surely one of the most frightening/emotional disturbing incidents that has occurred in the last decade. It was pretty astonishing to have that happen, and then come back several days later to a triumphant and emotional return at the RAH. It seemed a shame to not discus that.

Michael Deacon's review was funny in parts, buy why mock the poor and oppressed?

I also just finished reading it and absolutely adored it! Loved every minute! I only wish there was more!

I'm stunned by the minority of negativity attached to it as I feel Morrissey explains himself whilst being quite frank and open about his decisions in the past good and bad.

I think as ever he will always have jealous people out there that want to, or feel they can do, what he can when they actually can't.

Living well is the best revenge and he is living the best of all it would seem.

Bring on a new album!

Morrissey is a sad little man. In the end, that's all he is. Sad. Little.

To think he used to be a star!

I've just finished reading it. I have to agree with some of the reviews I've read, the first third is at times just beautiful. I expected much more from the Smiths section, I was hoping for background info on the songs and their meanings. For me, the end of the book just seems rushed, it ends with what seems to be extracts from his tour diary, and is there just to pad things out.
Mozmal

Unfortunately Autobiography reads like all the TTY press releases cobbled together. Brilliant in places but frustrating in others. I must say I enjoyed the severed alliance and Mozipaedia a lot more.

errrr no, it doesn't.
the fact you enjoyed the comic and the fantasy novel more says enough about your tastes.

Re: Article: "Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 3

oh shut up. IS what he is!!! he does not need picking apart....he is a beautiful genius talking in his own voice. \I L:OVED this book even though he shows himself up a but...but he IS the man!! it really is in HIS VOICEW,,and that is what we have all been waiting for.he is weird and mental and angry about the court case and all that but I fetlt I was there with him...it was brilliant. He is exactly as brilliant ad I always knew he was

Read More http://www.gq.com/entertainment/books/201310/gq-reviews-morrissey-autobiography#ixzz2imIErHZG

- - - Updated - - -

I just loved being with hio andf sharing his journey....he is the f***ing POPE!
]

he used to write letters tyo the NMe about roxy music at the sometime as me

Re: Article: "Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 3

oh shut up. IS what he is!!! he does not need picking apart....he is a beautiful genius talking in his own voice. \I L:OVED this book even though he shows himself up a but...but he IS the man!! it really is in HIS VOICEW,,and that is what we have all been waiting for.he is weird and mental and angry about the court case and all that but I fetlt I was there with him...it was brilliant. He is exactly as brilliant ad I always knew he was

Read More http://www.gq.com/entertainment/books/201310/gq-reviews-morrissey-autobiography#ixzz2imIErHZG

- - - Updated - - -

I just loved being with hio andf sharing his journey....he is the f***ing POPE!
]

he used to write letters tyo the NMe about roxy music at the sometime as me

Try harder. Your spot is taken by the lovely creature that uses the colored fonts and colorful misspellings. Midnite? Something like that.

I've read nearly 100 pages and skimmed good chunks of 3/4 of the book. Without digesting everything, I think the New York Times review seems to be a fair assessment. Some editorial intervention would have polished it to a higher gleam. At odds with that sentiment, it definitely feels rushed at the end - and it is a bit disingenuous to say that it covers his life up to "the present." It clearly cuts off at the end of 2011 and, as we know, 2012 and 2013 sized up to be fairly tumultous. Obviously, there are going to be publication deadlines and cut-offs to consider - but, even so, it's very hard to not envision the events over the past year and a half having had a significant impact on his life, his outlook, and how he feels about some of the things he covers in the book. Some form of postlude would have been nice to have.

Don't worry. Autobiography 2 & 3 will arrive in due course, the same time period but a completely different narrative, different people and covering Metal Peru-Poo. At least that's what my spies in Penguin tell me now it's a bona-fide Kerching! thing. "reissue, re-package": haven't we seen this movie before? LOL!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom