"Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 4

Updated list of Autobiography reviews / media reviews.

Funny, sad, bitchy, frustrating: it’s Morrissey, all right by Johnny Rogan - The Irish Times. Link posted by punky (original post).
Despite the fanfare, this pacy autobiography reveals little about the Smiths singer

Mein Camp Memoirs: Luke Haines Reviews Morrissey's Autobiography - The Quietus. Link posted by carnal artist (original post).
Mr Luke Haines, musician, author, artist and wearer of excellent hats, reviews Morrissey's autobiography

An Open Letter To Morrissey About His New Book… by John Robb - Louder Than War. Link posted by Famous when dead (original post).

Morrissey's Autobiography: The Dream Is Gone but the Book Is Real by Rob Sheffield - RollingStone. Link posted by @RollingStone / Twitter.

Manchester, So Much to Answer For by Sasha Frere-Jones - The New Yorker. Link posted by an anonymous person and also BrummieBoy (original post).

The Morrissey myth by Michael Henderson - The Spectator. Link posted by BrummieBoy (original post).
Not a seer, or a pioneer, or a free spirit — just a bore

Fame, fame, fatal fame by E.H. - Prospero blog / The Economist. Link posted by the_kaz (original post).

Popcast: Morrissey on Morrissey - The New York Times.
Slate’s Jessica Winter and The Times’s Ben Ratliff discuss “Autobiography,” the new memoir by the polarizing British pop star. (25:37 podcast)

Related items:

Last edited:
Luke Haines calls our hero "Stephen" (yeah, he's the vampire who keeps a diary.) :squiffy: Ha! But I just love this one:

"Every carnivorous dinner table walk-out is catalogued as Stephen makes the point, again and again, that he will not dine with murderers."

GO MOZ!!! :thumb:

THOSE CALLOUS, IGNORANT, STUPID MEAT EATERS. :mad:

And the callous, ignorant, stupid torture/slaughter dairy eaters like Morrissey? Who can't even organise a vegan birthday cake for Jessie whilst on tour? Morrissey does dine with murderers: himself. Each and ever time he eats cheese, dairy or eggs: he's a hypocrite, unless it's Ahimsa Hare Krishna dairy or from Liz Jones's farms.

"Meat is Murder. Beef is Biocide. Steak is Suicide. Dairy is Death"

There you go! In one neat line, I save you the nightmare of reading Morrissey's ridiculous ravings on human diet. He is locked within the cult of Carnism, raging against his own moral turpitude whilst imagining he's superior to those who eat burgers as he sips his latte. He's not. He's a rank hypocrite and a laughing stock: because I say so. And, trust me, my word is law.

Re: Article: "Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 4

I d

Dear Hater and Pre-judger, I hope Morrisssy doesn't let you into one of his concerts on his next tour, you are not moz worthy.

I think he is writing a nee

is this ironic? if not, it's hilarious.
yes, let's have pre-screening of ticket purchasers so Moz can use NSA/GCHQ date to find out who's behind these screen names (not me, he knows) and then subject them to profiling to see if they deserve to be admitted to the temple of a Morrissey concert. Obviously, David Tseng would fail, as would Skylarker and the rest, but some of you could shape up as loyal cult members and pass auditing by L.Ron Mozzizzey. You could set up a shop on Charing Cross Road next to the Scientologists selling "Autobiography" to the ignorant masses passing by. Do something useful with your lives! Spread the word of the gospel of Morrissey.

Morrissey actually calls Mike Joyce "Iscariot". Nurse...the screens..we need some strong anti-psychotics for this patient.

- - - Updated - - -

I would have to grow a penis and have Morrissey give me a BJ before I had the patience to read 9,896 lines in dactylic hexameter.

So, you're not going to read "Autobiography"?

I look forward to reading these things.

You have a computer. Get it on Kindle. Why are you waiting? You're not really very good at this Moz devotee stuff, are you? I'd read it in a few hours. It was a long night, but as I finished it I sang to the dawn birds "this night has opened my eyes, and I will never sleep again without LOLing about this book. The dream is gone, but the book is real". Actually, there was no dream. We knew he was a wanker from Cannock Chase when he started acting like he was Little Richard. "Little Dickhead" more like. How time has vindicated some of us in our initial dismissals of yet another tiresome Northern upstart trying to purloin Mercian culture. "Shakespeare's Sister". My arse.

"The dream is gone but the book is real." That should be painted on the kick drum next tour.

You have a computer. Get it on Kindle. Why are you waiting? You're not really very good at this Moz devotee stuff, are you? I'd read it in a few hours. It was a long night, but as I finished it I sang to the dawn birds "this night has opened my eyes, and I will never sleep again without LOLing about this book. The dream is gone, but the book is real". Actually, there was no dream. We knew he was a wanker from Cannock Chase when he started acting like he was Little Richard. "Little Dickhead" more like. How time has vindicated some of us in our initial dismissals of yet another tiresome Northern upstart trying to purloin Mercian culture. "Shakespeare's Sister". My arse.

Your certainly back with a bang brummie, you've obviously missed solo while you've been locked away, what were you in for this time?

Your certainly back with a bang brummie, you've obviously missed solo while you've been locked away, what were you in for this time?

Not crimes against literature, which is what Morrissey's now in the dock for...

I, erm, do have an actual life. I don't spend it thinking about Morrissey or his 'fans', other than to demolish the entire superstructure and meta-narratives of celebrity culture in post-industrial societies prior to Collapse and Singularity. But that's another topic.

I love being in prison, especially Mountjoy. So much cock.

I don't know why I bothered writing this. I must have thought it was still 2004 and there were still thoughtful people on this site. Apart from myself and BrummieBoy, it seems there is nothing but illiterates and those with communication difficulties.

The fact that some of you who can scarcely read and certainly can't write enjoyed the book is neither here nor there. The opinions of a few dim music journalists is also largely irrelevant. In order to justify 'Penguin Classics' one requires serious literary critics and the serious audience to concur with Morrissey's own lofty opinion of himself. Yet it's actually impossible to give the book a glowing review without apologising on its behalf and dismissing the importance of the writing itself. This negates its quality as a book.

When I say I haven't read it, I don't mean that I've read none of it; I mean that I haven't yet read it through properly. But perhaps I never will. It's appalling. And if flogging a few thou copies to idiots like those who live on this site is Moz's objective, fair enough. But it's a stunt, nothing more.

Crystal Geezer wonders how an autobiography can be narcissistic. Look up narcissism, you fool. Obsession with one's status; obsession with associating exclusively with people and institutions of high status (eg. Penguin Classics!); self-obsession; preoccupation with revenge against those who slighted one; self-importance and a self-referential style: these qualities are all flooding from much of the book in abundance.

Given the abject lack of intelligence of most Morrissey fans, the book is sure to be a roaring success. Unfortunately it's no classic. It is not even written competently. To think it took a decade...!

180! Spot on. Only caveat: it surely wasn't written over a decade? It's a rush-to-print last minute dash. That's why there's no index, structure, plot or anything else one would expect in a 'classic'. It was rushed out because the realisation is dawning that Morrissey's brand is near it's bargain bin date, and leaving it any longer might be a huge commercial error. Apparently, it was to have come out alongside a new album, but until recently, no one was interested in meeting Morrissey's inflated demands for payment for a new CD. Now? Who knows? It's a stunt, it's a bad book on first reading, but it gets worse under the microscope. However, it's important in relation to Penguin's collapse and capitulation to vacuous celebrity culture. They are now alongside The Mail and the celebrity magazines in terms of integrity.

Morrissey could have done a Bowie, retired to a prestigious university to study literature and the craft of writing, but he's just a fame whore, another bauble of flotsam and jetsam adrift on the sea of celebrity vacuity. He's not A-list, not Z-list, he's maybe C/D list, but having sacrificed the bulk of his life to a corporate music career, he can't bear that, hence raves at no-one wanting to sell his next few C/D List CDs. And the main thing that comes across in his rants about other celebrities is "It could have been me! It should have been me! Verse, chorus, middle 8, I am the victim of a dark 'tribal' conspiracy..."

A sad, undignified man, whose tragedy is to be forgiven once firmly outlined and admonished for his execrable writing, his seriously disturbing use of certain words, and his inability to see what's really staring him in the face about his Catholic upbringing and consequent (a)sexuality. He thinks he's escaped his religious indoctrination, but he's totally defined and enslaved by it. I knew it when I first saw him in the Hotel de Russie and "Cardinal Snowden" asked me "what's he doing here?".

Re: Article: "Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 4

is this ironic? if not, it's hilarious.
yes, let's have pre-screening of ticket purchasers so Moz can use NSA/GCHQ date to find out who's behind these screen names (not me, he knows) and then subject them to profiling to see if they deserve to be admitted to the temple of a Morrissey concert. Obviously, David Tseng would fail, as would Skylarker and the rest, but some of you could shape up as loyal cult members and pass auditing by L.Ron Mozzizzey. You could set up a shop on Charing Cross Road next to the Scientologists selling "Autobiography" to the ignorant masses passing by. Do something useful with your lives! Spread the word of the gospel of Morrissey.

Morrissey actually calls Mike Joyce "Iscariot". Nurse...the screens..we need some strong anti-psychotics for this patient.

- - - Updated - - -

So, you're not going to read "Autobiography"?

Apologies! Too many adult beverages at a Halloween party... pardon a thousand times.

180! Spot on. Only caveat: it surely wasn't written over a decade? It's a rush-to-print last minute dash. That's why there's no index, structure, plot or anything else one would expect in a 'classic'. It was rushed out because the realisation is dawning that Morrissey's brand is near it's bargain bin date, and leaving it any longer might be a huge commercial error. Apparently, it was to have come out alongside a new album, but until recently, no one was interested in meeting Morrissey's inflated demands for payment for a new CD. Now? Who knows? It's a stunt, it's a bad book on first reading, but it gets worse under the microscope. However, it's important in relation to Penguin's collapse and capitulation to vacuous celebrity culture. They are now alongside The Mail and the celebrity magazines in terms of integrity.

Morrissey could have done a Bowie, retired to a prestigious university to study literature and the craft of writing, but he's just a fame whore, another bauble of flotsam and jetsam adrift on the sea of celebrity vacuity. He's not A-list, not Z-list, he's maybe C/D list, but having sacrificed the bulk of his life to a corporate music career, he can't bear that, hence raves at no-one wanting to sell his next few C/D List CDs. And the main thing that comes across in his rants about other celebrities is "It could have been me! It should have been me! Verse, chorus, middle 8, I am the victim of a dark 'tribal' conspiracy..."

A sad, undignified man, whose tragedy is to be forgiven once firmly outlined and admonished for his execrable writing, his seriously disturbing use of certain words, and his inability to see what's really staring him in the face about his Catholic upbringing and consequent (a)sexuality. He thinks he's escaped his religious indoctrination, but he's totally defined and enslaved by it. I knew it when I first saw him in the Hotel de Russie and "Cardinal Snowden" asked me "what's he doing here?".

Wrong about Bowie (factual inaccuracies hardly inspire confidence), wrong about the publishing industry ("a last minute dash to print"), apparently unable to comprehend either the purpose of autobiography or the nature of artists (egocentricity? Wow - what a surprise! What the hell did you expect??), is there anything BrummieBoy and his anonymous sidekick can intelligently and objectively digest without being subject to the usual trollish prejudices about one particular man? There is nothing sadder or more undignified than these last desperate gasps of the dwindling band of trolls who populate this site, stubbornly insisting that black is white: in the face of a book that races to the top of the bestseller chart (obviously not just the acolytes buying it), in the face of a musical legacy that will last longer than this website, in the face of an obsessive worldwide fanbase, still these silly little boys of tiny intellect and enormous jealousy insist that Morrissey's career is over, that he is on the cusp of artistic oblivion, that his fans have deserted him (no evidence, naturally), that he's a vile human being (none of whom know him intimately, of course), that he "can't write" (an odd claim given that he's the one with the bestselling book and one of the greatest back catalogues of lyrics in the history of pop music). Face it, boys - you are WRONG, plain and simple. And that's not opinion, that's fact. While you may get a momentary thrill out of acting as though you alone have the "true" insight and unbiased perspective, it's clear to all that precisely the opposite is true: you are more prejudiced, more biased, more unwilling to see the bigger picture than all those "he can do no wrong" fruitloops at whom you frequently sneer. The only mystery, as always, is - if you truly despise a pop star to this ridiculous extent (itself a rather sad and infantile pose to adopt), is it really a meaningful and dignified use of your time to spend hours and hours on here, churning out endlessly repetitive, rambling, angry prose in support of your hatred and prejudice? What exactly do you hope to achieve by this? You never succeed in "proving" your point, you only succeed in demonstrating that you CARE enough to devote so many hours, so regularly, to such wasteful, undignified industry and to so little effect. I don't think any other artist on the planet inspires such a small, but dedicated (and impotent) group of haters, and such polarised opinion is of course emblematic of greatness. No one walks away from great art and great artists merely muttering "It was ok..."

BB, Morrissey is touchy enough without your sour puss comments, you also talk about your maleness quite often, there are ladies on this site. He will be the first one at the bar after these rants.

Oh Brummie Boy, I hate agreeing with your overall assessment of Morrissey..but I do. I feel let down by him; that about sums up my feelings about him.

I've loved his songs for so many years, but I can't love the person any longer. (As a fan of Lou Reed and David Bowie I'm no stranger to having to separate the man from the music). To admit that someone you love and admire does not seem to be a decent human being is heartbreaking. Those awful words 'devious, truculent, and unreliable' may be more accurate than I would want to believe...

P.S. Please be careful in Rebellion Boots Bar...not a place for the faint-hearted...

P.P.S Cannock Chase is a great place to take your dog for a ramble...not sure about the people though...

Wrong about Bowie (factual inaccuracies hardly inspire confidence), wrong about the publishing industry ("a last minute dash to print"), apparently unable to comprehend either the purpose of autobiography or the nature of artists (egocentricity? Wow - what a surprise! What the hell did you expect??), is there anything BrummieBoy and his anonymous sidekick can intelligently and objectively digest without being subject to the usual trollish prejudices about one particular man? There is nothing sadder or more undignified than these last desperate gasps of the dwindling band of trolls who populate this site, stubbornly insisting that black is white: in the face of a book that races to the top of the bestseller chart (obviously not just the acolytes buying it), in the face of a musical legacy that will last longer than this website, in the face of an obsessive worldwide fanbase, still these silly little boys of tiny intellect and enormous jealousy insist that Morrissey's career is over, that he is on the cusp of artistic oblivion, that his fans have deserted him (no evidence, naturally), that he's a vile human being (none of whom know him intimately, of course), that he "can't write" (an odd claim given that he's the one with the bestselling book and one of the greatest back catalogues of lyrics in the history of pop music). Face it, boys - you are WRONG, plain and simple. And that's not opinion, that's fact. While you may get a momentary thrill out of acting as though you alone have the "true" insight and unbiased perspective, it's clear to all that precisely the opposite is true: you are more prejudiced, more biased, more unwilling to see the bigger picture than all those "he can do no wrong" fruitloops at whom you frequently sneer. The only mystery, as always, is - if you truly despise a pop star to this ridiculous extent (itself a rather sad and infantile pose to adopt), is it really a meaningful and dignified use of your time to spend hours and hours on here, churning out endlessly repetitive, rambling, angry prose in support of your hatred and prejudice? What exactly do you hope to achieve by this? You never succeed in "proving" your point, you only succeed in demonstrating that you CARE enough to devote so many hours, so regularly, to such wasteful, undignified industry and to so little effect. I don't think any other artist on the planet inspires such a small, but dedicated (and impotent) group of haters, and such polarised opinion is of course emblematic of greatness. No one walks away from great art and great artists merely muttering "It was ok..."

Why do you bother BB? Just look at the volume of posts you've made over recent days... I don't think Morrissey's narcissism/egomania and "execrable writing" comes anywhere close to yours.

Thank you :sweet:

Why do you bother BB? Just look at the volume of posts you've made over recent days... I don't think Morrissey's narcissism/egomania and "execrable writing" comes anywhere close to yours.

As BB's newly-appointed anonymous sidekick, I shall address this rather odd post. First the tone: you write in the fashion of a psychotic drunkard at 8 am, just before popping his pyjamas off (his clothes) and sliding/wobbling naked into an unmade bed, having just spent the wee hours blaming the entire world for his predicament. Only, you're doing it all on Mozzer's behalf. Accusations of bitterness and jealousy directed at critics of this laughable book are hilariously inappropriate given the bitterness/jealousy/delusions of grandeur evidently smeared like peanut butter across much of his writing.

You think the sales figures prove "it's not only the acolytes" buying it? How few acolytes exactly do you suppose Mozzer has left? He's only sold half as many books in the UK as he sold copies of Maladjusted, despite the paperback first edition! Let's pause and see how many he sells over the coming weeks, since one presumes all the acolytes and former acolytes are likely to buy it up in the first week or two.

I can't comment on factual inaccuracies on BB's part. I can, however, tell that you have absolutely no literary education, formal or otherwise, glancing at your comment. You appear to have no opinion whatsoever on the literary merits or otherwise of 'Autobiography' (which was the basis of both our criticisms) and instead appear Hell-bent on arguing that its success (which is itself debatable) is the only criterion that matters, or could possibly matter. On this basis, is Jordan's multi-volume magnum opus also beyond criticism? What about Mills and Boon? Up your alley?

The only point I can see within your hastily-hammered words - if indeed there is a point, and I'm not sure - is that might is right and we cannot possibly find the literary standards deplorable, the plot non-existent, and the whining-angsty-teen-diary intonation numbingly wearying; NO! We must be jealous! - after all, how dare we criticise success in 2013?! In this post-modern world, the vacuous nature of the world is a given and we must simply accept this celebrity dross, however poor it is, because it sells!

Incidentally, given that I - and I'm in a small minority here - adored YOR and stated so in my opening comment, your folie-a-deux paranoid delusions about my intent to besmirch and demean the former object of my admiration rings a little hollow. Loved YOR. Hate the book. He is a genius lyricist and an awful, awful author of prose. Contradiction? No more than in the case of one who likes seeing Katie Price's blow-ups, but has no wish to read her life story, or one who adores Marr's guitar playing and song-writing, but feels nothing but aversion to his 'singing.'

Morrissey is the greatest artist in popular music in my opinion. However, he cannot write prose. The book is wearying, pointlessly bitchy, depressingly badly-written and desultory to the point of knight's move thinking; and what on Earth is it with all the puns and clang associations? Vile!

Instead of presuming imagined noxious motives drive us to critique this awful book, why not read it and give an opinion? Do you seriously think this is a great book worthy of a Penguin Classic, or even a very good one? Really? Can you even read?

As for the misguided notion that a healthy fifty-four year old with numerous properties, a hefty income stream, and over £20 million of assets needs his bedsitting, bedwetting fans to defend him from criticism on So-Low is risible. He is furious at criticisms of his weight on this site, yet his book calls half a dozen people 'fatso.' He cannot abide prejudice which affects him, yet more prejudice pours forth from the book, like rotting coleslaw. He is so precious about his 'professional reputation,' yet he has done more than anyone else to smear the reputations of countless artists and mere singers during his 30 year career. He mocks the McCanns and belittles mass murder in Scandinavia. Yet he cries self-indulgently into his muesli over criticisms of his session musicians (he is the one who removes them every few years, not me, or not I in MorrisseyWorld).

His hypocrisy demonstrates his intractable narcissism: one rule for him, and another for the cultural plebs.

The last thing he needs is useful idiots like you reinforcing his aberrant worldview and self-image.

The book is mediocrity itself. Period.

BB, BB side kick, you are driving me crazy, go do something useful, have "fun" clean fun or otherwise, you need a release.

Saturday Review, Radio 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay BrummieBoy, you got my attention (usually I skip over your posts, LOL.) I myself never understood why Moz would not be vegan, but I do just love his opposition to meat eaters and I agree with him; meat eaters are a-holes. Now, I never heard about Jessie's birthday, but I've had problems as an employee in the past where fatso workers used MY BIRTHDAY as an excuse to consume non-vegan cake. That kind of ignorance always disgusted me. Are you saying Moz gave Jessie a non-vegan cake or he simply gave him no cake at all? To me, the latter is not offensive at all. Birthday celebrations are kind of stupid. :D

And the callous, ignorant, stupid torture/slaughter dairy eaters like Morrissey? Who can't even organise a vegan birthday cake for Jessie whilst on tour? Morrissey does dine with murderers: himself. Each and ever time he eats cheese, dairy or eggs: he's a hypocrite, unless it's Ahimsa Hare Krishna dairy or from Liz Jones's farms.

"Meat is Murder. Beef is Biocide. Steak is Suicide. Dairy is Death"

There you go! In one neat line, I save you the nightmare of reading Morrissey's ridiculous ravings on human diet. He is locked within the cult of Carnism, raging against his own moral turpitude whilst imagining he's superior to those who eat burgers as he sips his latte. He's not. He's a rank hypocrite and a laughing stock: because I say so. And, trust me, my word is law.

They basically admit that the book is classic-worthy, but only after arguing what a terrible person he is. He already said in an interview ages ago that he didn't like himself. Ha!

Saturday Review, Radio 4

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom