B Sides that *definately* should've been A sides. . .

devout

Sister I'm a Poet
Disappointed
Lost
The Never-Played Symphonies
No One Can Hold a Candle to You (The original is fantastic btw)
Nobody Loves Us

These ones come to mind.

How 'Lost' didn't get picked is just bizarre :crazy:

"Lost" is too long and slow to have been a good single. It's better suited to being on an album.

I'd add "Ganglord", or at least a shorter version. It's very un-Morrissey, and it would have been an interesting conversation starter.

"Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference" and "Interesting Drug" should have switched sides.

I'd add "Ganglord", or at least a shorter version. It's very un-Morrissey, and it would have been an interesting conversation starter.

yes, at least Ganglord on Ringleader. it is to good fo a b-side. :)
and I would have liked jack the ripper [Your Arsenal?] or the loop [kill uncle?] as albumtracks, or singels.

Disagree about Lost being too long.

Too many of Moz's singles follow the same formula.

Paris follows the similar pattern.

verse/chorus/verse/chorus music break verse/chorus/verse/chorus

That last around 3 mins, if your lucky.

Life is a Pigsty is another example of one that got away.

Sister I'm a Poet
Disappointed
Lost
Nobody Loves Us

These ones come to mind.

If there was one message (and one message alone) that I could transmit to the human race it would be (quite simply):

There is no 'a' in definitely!

No one likes a pedant :squiffy:

Well that's gratitude for you!

In response to the thread topic, the reason Morrissey has been so consistently rubbish at selecting singles is because a) he makes all the decisions (whereas in the Smiths, he and Marr would discuss these things) and b) he doesn't compose music or play an instrument, so he genuinely struggles to distinguish between wonderful musical compositions (e.g. Nobody Loves Us) and uninspired, third-rate, indie plod (e.g. Dagenham Dave).

Sister I'm a Poet
Disappointed
Lost
Nobody Loves Us

These ones come to mind.

I agree with your list with the glaring exception of "The Never-Played Symphonies". It's a b-side if there ever was one. I'll never understand why it's so popular.

I would also add "Hairdresser On Fire," "My Dearest Love" and "I Knew I Was Next". I'm probably alone in my love of "I Knew I Was Next" though.

"Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference" and "Interesting Drug" should have switched sides.

Sacrilege!! "Interesting Drug" is absolutely perfect. I like "Such a Little Thing..." too, but you cannot compare the two.

"Lost" is pure gold. One of the finest compositions to have accompanied Moz's lyrics.

You know it's an unjust world when "Pregnant For The Last Time" and "The Youngest Was The Most Loved" are considered good enough for single release whilst "Lost" is consigned to the b-side of a fairly unpopular single ("Roy's Keen").

This is one of those rare cases when I have to disagree with you. "Interesting Drug" is a throwaway ditty with few quotable lines. "Such a Little Thing", though, is a classic.

Most people keep their brains between their legs. ;) They are both classics!!!

Friday Mourning... all the way. And even more.. it should have been a single. It's superb and most of all, it's pure beauty.

I agree with your list with the glaring exception of "The Never-Played Symphonies". It's a b-side if there ever was one. I'll never understand why it's so popular.

I would also add "Hairdresser On Fire," "My Dearest Love" and "I Knew I Was Next". I'm probably alone in my love of "I Knew I Was Next" though.

No you're not alone! I love that song, it should definitely have been an A side.

Tags
b-side b-sides
Back
Top Bottom