"Back On The Chain Gang" official video via Rolling Stone interview

Morrissey Covers the Pretenders’ ‘Back on the Chain Gang,’ Talks ‘Pop Classic’ - Rolling Stone
“It’s a pop classic,” singer says. “Of the brain as well as the loins”
By Kory Grow

Excerpt:

"When Morrissey decided to cover the Pretenders’ “Back on the Chain Gang” for an upcoming double-vinyl reissue of his Low in High School album, he wanted to play it loose with the lyrics. “I didn’t ever see the lyrics correctly printed because I wanted to sing them as I had always thought they were,” he tells Rolling Stone via e-mail. “This is tricky with [Pretenders singer] Chrissie [Hynde] because sometimes she’ll sing into a misty wobble. So, I decided to wobble also.”

Other than a few switched-up words, though, it’s mostly a reverent cover. He croons Hynde’s lyrics, wobbling his voice, along with a jangly guitar line that sounds like a mix of his solo music and the Pretenders. He recorded it this past April at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles. The song will also be available as a 45 with cover art, out November 23rd, which features Gilbert O’Sullivan’s “I Didn’t Know What to Do” on the flip side. Morrissey proudly points out the single sleeve features writer and feminist Germaine Greer, with the expanded LP out December 7th."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...etenders-back-on-the-chain-gang-cover-748605/

Studio & video versions are different to the live arrangements.
Moz on guitar!
Rolling Stone got the scoop, then linked to by 'Official' with the pre-order advert for the deluxe:

MP3:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pkc1ce

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited:
Just shows what Moz can do when he has a good song. He looks great. His voice is great. And he fake plays guitar better than his band does.
He needs to move on and get a new band. They've made some great music together but its now or never. I assume it will be never.
So where is Boz?

Boz couldn't make it.. that's why Morrissey pretended to play guitar while covering The Pretenders.

Article says he's "strumming a Rickenbacker" but no way is that a Ricky. Looks like a custom Gibson Firebird to me.
I was watching the video again and Mando's bass neck is on screen briefly and it's a Rickenbacker.. Perhaps the writer can't tell a lefty from a right and thought it was Moz.

I liked it a lot, the video is OK, I could've done without the wobbly pound shop Veruschka-type models in the background. Who directed this?

Last edited:
Well, it is what it is. I’m pleased but not impressed. A bit pedestrian on all fronts...but even a half-hearted Morrissey is better than most other artists.

Every video and tour I am still in shock the guy is still around and it makes me feel weird and sad. Imagine when he was young and had something to say. No one could have guessed that this man would become a tribute band singer and my god is his taste in music bad.
He must be much older than most of us realise. Pretenders, I mean can anyone take that sorry band seriously?
No talent or anything just some american woman who turned british going oooohhhh woooo like some distant war alarm echo.
How annoying is she with that hair getting in the way of her eyes?
Jeez.......

I think its a throwback to top of the pops,its got a sepia tint to it as well.pep nothing wrong with dancing bimbos,thats the only reason I still go out at the weekend.ps nothing against any dancing bimbos who frequent this site.
Yes they are lovely dancing bimbos.

Love the guitar playing, Moz. super sexy.

Clint Curtis
Lookout for my new release
Suicide Of Whores

Yeah, it's a good song/video but it's retreading an old song that really doesn't excite me much. Hopefully, there's better covers on the horizon.

i want to marry that girl in the video.. god she’s beautiful!!!

It's OK, but I can't help feeling that this should be some throwaway B-side, like 'Skin Storm' etc. The fact that a fairly straight-forward cover version is getting a single release, and was also the highlight of the live shows on the most recent tour (certainly all the casual fans around me reacted to it well), just makes me feel that Mozzer's own recent songs aren't quite up to standard.

Seeing this video in the early hours of Friday morning and I now have to go out and celebrate later. Trust my Morrissey to send me back off the rails. Enjoyed it though. If his guitar playing is a playful dig at Johnny, more please. Mind you, knowing Morrissey it may have been one of his impromptu whims. He knows everyone else will do the interpretation for him, and cheeky as he is, he's probably mindful that there may be newer fans who now think he plays guitar! Mischievous as ever. The attitude of the girls put me in mind of the Addicted To Love video

I liked it a lot, the video is OK, I could've done without the wobbly pound shop Veruschka-type models in the background. Who directed this?
veruschka-type? they wish. more like "sears catalogue type" :lbf:

Seeing this video in the early hours of Friday morning and I now have to go out and celebrate later. Trust my Morrissey to send me back off the rails. Enjoyed it though. If his guitar playing is a playful dig at Johnny, more please. Mind you, knowing Morrissey it may have been one of his impromptu whims. He knows everyone else will do the interpretation for him, and cheeky as he is, he's probably mindful that there may be newer fans who now think he plays guitar! Mischievous as ever. The attitude of the girls put me in mind of the Addicted To Love video
I love how you always call him "my Morrissey" :lbf:

veruschka-type? they wish. more like "sears catalogue type" :lbf:
I would've thought the 'pound shop' quip might've given it away. I'm pretty confident anyone with a semi functioning brain would've caught that ;-)

I don't know what the f*** a pound shop is, I aint british, am I?!?!?!
Neither am I yet I know you goofy canuck :lbf:

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom