BBC2 The 80s Music's Greatest Decade? (minus The Smiths) by Dylan Jones

SeanTheFirst

Only The Lonely
Having bought and appreciated his Bowie books, I assumed I'd be looked after tonight in Dylan Jones' comprehensive oversight of eighties originals, alternatives, mavericks. Excitement paramount. Guess who was left out.
I watched this feeble video-clip un-narrated trawl of the usual suspects, i.e.Wham!, Duran Duran, Eurythmics, etc. As the clock approached the hour mark I thought surely he's saving the best/ Smiths till last. No. Madonna in a pink drag wig was left till last. What did I endure this for? Has Morrissey, even The Smiths, been officially cancelled? And by whom?. Total bollocks. I want to speak right now to the head of BBC2. Shame on you.

Having bought and appreciated his Bowie books, I assumed I'd be looked after tonight in Dylan Jones' comprehensive oversight of eighties originals, alternatives, mavericks. Excitement paramount. Guess who was left out.
I watched this feeble video-clip un-narrated trawl of the usual suspects, i.e.Wham!, Duran Duran, Eurythmics, etc. As the clock approached the hour mark I thought surely he's saving the best/ Smiths till last. No. Madonna in a pink drag wig was left till last. What did I endure this for? Has Morrissey, even The Smiths, been officially cancelled? And by whom?. Total bollocks. I want to speak right now to the head of BBC2. Shame on you.
They featured (briefly) last week - see:

Regards,
FWD.

Human League, Culture Club, Depeche Mode, all were given airtime and yes they all have their place in the 80s pantheon but to neglect the most influential group of an era is tantamount to... well, I think it's depressingly called Cancel Culture. It seems that this is the world we live in. Where do we go from here?

Human League, Culture Club, Depeche Mode, all were given airtime and yes they all have their place in the 80s pantheon but to neglect the most influential group of an era is tantamount to... well, I think it's depressingly called Cancel Culture. It seems that this is the world we live in. Where do we go from here?
Don’t some bands transcend the decade that bequeathed them? My favourite 80s bands are New Order, The Stone Roses and The Smiths, but I don’t inevitably think of them that way.

The Human League, Bros, Michael Jackson, Wham and Culture Club on the other hand seem inextricably bound up with the decade for me.

In short, if I was watching a UK TV show about 80s music I’d anticipate a peripheral role for The Smiths. And I’d be stunned if Wham, Jackson and Bros weren’t represented as gods.

In Dylan's latest book he wrote that Morrissey had turned out to be a disappointing person, that they were wrong to think he was a star & that Johnny Marr is the only good thing about The Smiths.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't that bad a read.
Dylan Jones : "Sweet Dreams - The Story of the New Romantics" Epub.
Several Morrissey & The Smiths mentions.
Regards,
FWD.

Cancel culture is at it again.
It's basically a witch hunting, artists are supposed to be flawless(or pretend to be)
They are trying to use Johnny marr as the heir of the smiths legacy but it isn't work very well since you can't talk about the smiths without talking about Morrissey(it would be way too dumb to do it)

It was very strange. Episode 1 (last week) was a fairly typical music documentary, fronted by Dylan Jones, with interviews, context, etc. While Episode 2 (last night) looked like an expanded edition of TOTP2. What a weird stylistic choice for this series.

Also, I once had a breakfast meeting with Dylan Jones. We both had porridge and found each other boring.

Cancel culture is at it again.
It's basically a witch hunting, artists are supposed to be flawless(or pretend to be)
They are trying to use Johnny marr as the heir of the smiths legacy but it isn't work very well since you can't talk about the smiths without talking about Morrissey(it would be way too dumb to do it)
The impression I got from watching 20-30 minutes of it, was that it was just showing the big multi million selling singles and albums from the 80s
Frankie,
Wham,
Human league ECT.
As we all know The Smiths have never came under that umbrella..
If there was a program about most influential bands from the 80s
Then the smiths wold be No 1,
And top 5 in Poland 😉

Back
Top Bottom