Morrissey Central "BE DRUM, BE FOOLISH, BE HAPPY" (October 14, 2021)

Mr. Krupa kinda made it sound like his drums
was tap dancin', durin' the piano part.

First heard of Mr. Krupa when I seen Taxi Driver.

More stuff like this, but preferably with comments. Love it when he shares with us stuff he’s into.

Maybe this is the direction he’s going in on Bonfire. :lbf: :cool:

Ha ha Krupa !

I like it because thanks to Moz and through the Solo I can learn from the existence of other talents, that is positive, the positive part of the Solo that Moz must take into account, he publishes and the Solo reflects it, and by the way this drummer is possessed

I like it because thanks to Moz and through the Solo I can learn from the existence of other talents, that is positive, the positive part of the Solo that Moz must take into account, he publishes and the Solo reflects it, and by the way this drummer is possessed

All true.

Why? Who's next? We could do this forever Moz. When did Roddy McDowall die?

Perhaps Morrissey is finally realising that The Drummer is very much NOT a 'lawnmower part' and that a clear signal of unexamined unconscious racism is to denigrate or devalue the contribution of rhythm to music. Rhythm is one of Africa's most profound gifts to humanity. World Is Africa. Etc. There was nothing poisonous about 'Panic' until Morrissey ramped up the trolling by dissing black dance music specifically and utterly uneccessarily. Johnny Marr should've walked out there and then. "Reggae is vile". No, it isn't. But you are, my child. 10 x Our Fathers and a Hail Mary pass for your career 'comeback' plans, Steven...

I'm in lovely Stockton-on-Tees preparing for another Steve Hackett show at The Globe. Of numerous blistering highlights, the drum solo by Craig Blundell is up near the top. He has something of the berserker blitzkrieg storm und drang of Krupa. To think eejits once thought drum machines were a replacement, rather than an entirely novel and complementary rthymic universe.

RIP Neal Peart
'The Drum Professor '

Best
BB

#rhytmnisadancer

“Gene Krupa was the first rock drummer in very many ways. Without Gene Krupa, there wouldn’t have been a Keith Moon,” and, it would seem, no Neil Peart too. Speaking to Zildjian in 2003, Peart went further to describe seeing such a powerhouse drummer. “The first time I remember feeling a desire to play the drums was while watching the movie The Gene Krupa Story, at the age of eleven or twelve,” remembers The Professor.

“I started beating on the furniture and my baby sister’s playpen with a pair of chopsticks, and for my thirteenth birthday,” recalled Peart, “my parents gave me drum lessons, a practice pad, and a pair of sticks. They said they wouldn’t buy me real drums until I showed that I was going to be serious about it for at least a year, and I used to arrange magazines across my bed to make fantasy arrays of drums and cymbals, then beat the covers off them!”

There is also, of course, room on the list for the influential jazz drummer Buddy Rich, who, we would bet, has influenced nearly all of your favourite drummers of all time. “I would often see Buddy Rich play on television, on the ‘Tonight’ show, but I would just shake my head—he seemed too far out of reach. As Gene (Krupa) said about Buddy, ‘There are all the great drummers in the world—and then there’s Buddy.'”

'When he gets home, Gene finds that his father has died. Feeling obligated, he goes to study for the priesthood, but at the seminary he feels lost and unable to devote his whole self. He imagines “syncopated versions” of Ave Maria when he should be listening to hymns in a quiet, penitent reverie; even after a year there, he cannot shake his dreams of becoming a musician. The priest who is his advisor suspects Krupa's interest is waning and reminds him that the priesthood is "a fulfillment, not a penance". He advises Gene to take summer vacation at home to consider if this life-choice is "meant to be".

At home, his old pals are playing in a local speakeasy. Krupa gently rubs the drum set's crash cymbal between his thumb and forefinger; his friend Eddie asks him to sit in with the gang for the summer. Gene struggles with this, still feeling he should be committed to the church. He does quit the seminary, though, and plays with the band. His mother stops in one evening and expresses her disappointment in him. Ethel suggests Krupa's and Eddie's music is better than the dives they play in, that they should go to New York...'

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom