Morrissey Central "BMG DUMP MORRISSEY" (November 16, 2020)

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/bmg-dump-morrissey

fin...

Excerpt:

BMG Records have dropped Morrissey. Following the March 2020 release of I AM NOT A DOG ON A CHAIN
(#1 Scotland, #1 Poland, #3 Britain, #3 France, #10 Spain, #13 Germany, #2, #9, #17, #18 U.S.A. - depending
on which official chart you follow), BMG have appointed a new Executive who does not want another Morrissey
album. Instead, the new BMG Executive has announced new plans for 'diversity' within BMG's artist roster, and
all projected BMG Morrissey releases/reissues have been scrapped.

"This news is perfectly in keeping with the relentless galvanic horror of 2020," said Morrissey, "we would be critically insane to expect anything positive."

Morrissey is once again in search of a new label willing to release his music.

"My three albums with BMG have been the best of my career, and I stand by them till death. Recording them has been a pivotal period in my life, and I thank the previous BMG team and everyone involved for that. It's still important to me to do music my own way, and I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave - especially when the word 'talent' is notably never mentioned."

Morrissey's duet with David Bowie is now available on Parlophone via Warner.

"There are too many cases of successful artists languishing at labels who are no longer interested in them." Alistair Norbury, BMG.

Morrissey's Las Vegas residency remains in place for 2021.

above quotes collected by V.Pearson for M.Central.
full interview will be printed shortly.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is as he's being devious again.

It's not a Morrissey quote - I presume Sam wrote it. He's been skipping around the internet finding the material, I wonder if he feels a tiny twinge of guilt that some of it is quite shoddy?

As always .....

It's still important to me to do music my own way, and I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave - especially when the word 'talent' is notably never mentioned."

:rock:

VIVA MOZ !!!

:cool:

I meant that's the reason for the interview.

I take it they were suggesting he behaved himself & did normal publicity & he's been refusing & it finally collapsed.
It's the same as it was with the other two interviews that were published on Central. Apparently he wishes to talk/vent once per year, but not to any real journalist.

It's not a Morrissey quote - I presume Sam wrote it. He's been skipping around the internet finding the material, I wonder if he feels a tiny twinge of guilt that some of it is quite shoddy?
Yeah, it's the same data they've posted on Central before.

It was #117 in France and #44 in the US independent billboard charts.

It was also #7 and not #10 in the official charts in Spain. 🤷‍♀️

Boo but hardly unexpected. I wonder how much labels are losing with no touring. Everything’s choices and when you’re older they matter more to you. Not hard to understand morrissey being unwilling to change in order to preserve his deal

Yeah, it's the same data they've posted on Central before.

It was #117 in France and #44 in the US independent billboard charts.

It was also #7 and not #10 in the official charts in Spain. 🤷‍♀️

All LEGAL charts must count! ;)

Ah, so that's the interview.

They did decide he was too difficult to deal with.

Defiance isn't going to help get him a new label, but at least he's not ready to die in a ditch yet.

He should just go it alone and release his own stuff. Lots of bands do this and still get their albums in the charts.

I believe we found SER to be using some 'industry only' music chart portal a while back and the figures for the US market have always been notoriously difficult to view accurately - so I'd be inclined to let him off on this occasion :)
That said, the quoting of something from 2016 to bolster a 'diversity' argument in 2020 - having been with BMG for 3 years after said quote is just plain daft. The terms of the contract were never clear and the assertions re: 2 record deals etc were never substantiated. That said, he's had a reasonable run with them and certainly released more product with them than most anticipated.
Personally, I think this is a 'usual' exit strategy - where blaming BMG is required. The fact that he's released 2 products via 2 other companies in the last couple of months and how that might sit with BMG doesn't appear to get any consideration.
Regards,
FWD.

"My three albums with BMG have been the best of my career,"
I think part of the problem is that no, they weren't. And whilst 'Dog' did indeed enter the charts at no. 3 on a Friday, by Monday it had sunk without trace, never to be seen again.
Never mind. Perhaps Infowars could start a record label?

I believe we found SER to be using some 'industry only' music chart portal a while back and the figures for the US market have always been notoriously difficult to view accurately - so I'd be inclined to let him off on this occasion :)
That said, the quoting of something from 2016 to bolster a 'diversity' argument in 2020 - having been with BMG for 3 years after said quote is just plain daft. The terms of the contract were never clear and the assertions re: 2 record deals etc were never substantiated. That said, he's had a reasonable run with them and certainly released more product with them than most anticipated.
Personally, I think this is a 'usual' exit strategy - where blaming BMG is required. The fact that he's released 2 products via 2 other companies and how that might sit with BMG doesn't appear to register.
Regards,
FWD.
I understood the quote differently (without knowing it was an old one). I thought it was used because Morrissey/Central actually agreed with the statement and were sort of saying that they're ready to move on.

Otherwise I completely agree with your post.

It's the same as it was with the other two interviews that were published on Central. Apparently he wishes to talk/vent once per year, but not to any real journalist.

It will either get entirely ignored or he'll use an unfortunate turn of phrase & it will drift around Twitter as another reason why you should be done with him esp if 'diversity' is going to be in quotes.

He's diverse, his band is diverse - this is a potential pitfall that doesn't need to be there.

If Val's a professional (🙄) she needs to take over Central & give Sam a photography project to work on.

It will either get entirely ignored or he'll use an unfortunate turn of phrase & it will drift around Twitter as another reason why you should be done with him esp if 'diversity' is going to be in quotes.
Why do I feel like I know which of the two it will be?

If Val's a professional (🙄) she needs to take over Central & give Sam a photography project to work on.

In Val we trust. :pray:

@Valerie Pearson: The layout and the randomly inserted pictures in the original post on Central make me seasick. o_O

I understood the quote differently (without knowing it was an old one). I thought it was used because Morrissey/Central actually agreed with the statement and were sort of saying that they're ready to move on.

Otherwise I completely agree with your post.
I took it as sarcasm as it is below the Parlophone bit. Also, as his job role was meant to prevent existing artists 'languishing', I believe it was put there to ridicule him. With his old quote added to the prior 'BMG now want diversity...' - it appeared to be a dig IMHO.
Regards,
FWD.

He should just go it alone and release his own stuff. Lots of bands do this and still get their albums in the charts.

Yeah. I think he craves the validation of a label though. Plus he seems terrifyingly disorganized... Maybe he'll be pushed into it by time though - he might not want to waste his 60s.

í take it this means that étienne has left the building...?

Yeah. I think he craves the validation of a label though. Plus he seems terrifyingly disorganized... Maybe he'll be pushed into it by time though - he might not want to waste his 60s.
Validation is a fair point.
I think the logistics side of record making requires the might of someone like Warners these days and his ego couldn't take Boz using one of his 2 studios to create the product to only have limited routes to market.
The prestige of Decca, EMI, Attack et al - even things where he can indulge himself like:

20201116_143444.jpg

They all probably go a long way to explain why self-publishing hasn't happened - not to mention his chart fixation and how becoming 'very' indie might tarnish things for him (from his POV).
Regards,
FWD.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom