BMG's Korda Marshall on "Low In High School" first week sales

My apologies if this already was posted here or in another thread. I thought this was a nice little blurb on the LIHS first-week sales that BMG posted, complete with an accolade by Korda himself:

UK: Morrissey's Low In High School marks eleventh consecutive Top 10 UK album - BMG
BMG UK
24 Nov 2017

Morrissey’s latest album Low In High School, his first released through BMG, has landed at number five on the UK Album charts, marking his eleventh consecutive Top 10 album in the UK. The album also topped the Independent Album charts, Vinyl chart, and Cassette chart.

Released on November 17, Low In High School is Morrissey’s eleventh studio album and first since announcing a partnership with BMG on launching his new label Etienne Records.

Korda Marshall said, “This is an incredible result. It’s the first Morrissey album of his career to be released in the fourth quarter and not only he has shown he can compete in the busiest time of the year, he has exceeded first week sales of his last album. Morrissey is back in a big way.”

Leading up to the release of the album, Morrissey announced his first UK tour since 2015 and the Los Angeles City Council declared November 10 as “Morrissey Day” in LA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I have a lot of experience of these disorders. Several members of my family have Asperger's syndrome, and two have ADHD in addition. I have also had close friendships with two people with clinical narcissism. So I have spent a great deal of time, over many years, reading, researching and living with neurological disorders, and I see lots of similarities with Morrissey's character and behaviour. That's actually a sympathetic point of view. Many people look at his behaviour and simply say he's a knob. You must surely be aware of this. I'm saying, I think there are biological reasons why he's as he is.

I was saying that my 15 year old son has a more sophisticated world view than Morrissey. You keep insisting this is an insult to my son, which is rather funny, because it's like you're insisting that Morrissey is mentally deficient. And I'm fairly sure that's not what you mean.

Anyway, feel free to carry on being insulted/outraged/angry/offended/whatever. That's your prerogative. You see? That's how it works - respect for different points of view. Just don't try to tell me what I can and can't say.
I never did and was never insulted/outraged/angry/offended by whatever you said, just thought your post was off-topic, like the above is again.
But continue making more off-topic posts if that’s your chosen path on this forum, I will continue to rate them accordingly.

Hi CC, it is indeed a complex subject, and I think it's this childlike simplification of it that I find so distasteful. I can't forget young boys like Lee Rigby, hacked to death in the street for his profession - young brave men who have signed up to serve and keep us safe, in an increasingly unsafe world. There are indeed many facets to this argument, but for me, the human one trumps the political.

I do think Asperger's is a definite possibility. I lived with someone for 10 years with it. They simply don't read the social cues in the same way, or have the usual levels of empathy, so tend to cause tremendous upset with insensitive remarks, and not understand what the fuss is about - even when it's explained to them. I also think narcissism is possible. The people I knew both had the same illusions of grandiosity - they really did believe they were more special than other people - yet no amount of love and attention were ever enough. Sooner or later there would always be something wrong, and it would always be someone else's fault, and invariably you would never hear the end of it. But it's really all about rage and self-loathing - a very interesting topic. Very destructive disorder, and very sad.

But what would have happened to the German identity then? You know, the one that Morrissey was so worried in the Der Spiegel interview.

'the one that Morrissey was so worried in'

was Morrissey talking about Nazism when he referred to 'German identity' ? Germans have fought many wars, probably even before the written word.

And the German soldiers fighting in WW 2, were they fighting for Nazism? I mean,did all of them even know what Nazism really was? Soldiers are trained and given something to believe in even if they don't understand it or care, they may believe in a country as 'their country'/patriotism as a way to get through the fighting by giving themselves a 'reason' to why they are in that situation, killing children, being killed, etc.

Honor mad .....

was Morrissey talking about Nazism when he referred to 'German identity' ? Germans have fought many wars, probably even before the written word.

And the German soldiers fighting in WW 2, were they fighting for Nazism? I mean,did all of them even know what Nazism really was? Soldiers are trained and given something to believe in even if they don't understand it or care, they may believe in a country as 'their country'/patriotism as a way to get through the fighting by giving themselves a 'reason' to why they are in that situation, killing children, being killed, etc.

Honor mad .....

So true.
His remark had nothing to do with the German identity, as if the German identity is infected with nazism.
It has to do with Mozzers wish every country should be different and holding on to it's own culture.

It is just unbelievable people are trying to portray him at any instance as rightwing, fascist, evil and nuts.

He referred to Germany regarding cultural indentity which has a great history, just like the French, the Italian, the British and so on. And mentioned the possibility it might be at danger, just like with other European countries.

Anybody not seeing this is either stupid or ignoring it on purpose and twisting his words for their own not to hidden agenda of portraying him as evil, rightwing, racist and nuts.

Last edited:
I never did and was never insulted/outraged/angry/offended by whatever you said, just thought your post was off-topic, like the above is again.
But continue making more off-topic posts if that’s your chosen path on this forum, I will continue to rate them accordingly.

wouldn't worry about it, some people are not going to get the song, and it is such a simple song ... a simple message.

And I'm sure Buffy Saint-Marie got hell for writing 'Universal Soldier'

'You’re the one who must decide
Who’s to live and who’s to die
You’re the one who gives his body
As a weapon of the war – And without you all this killing can’t go on.'

http://buffysainte-marie.com/?p=809

Never could understand how anyone can call a murderer a 'hero', for killing is what soldiers are trained to do, that is their job.
And I'm sure there is a larger percentage of people who enlist not because of their patriotism or some romantic idea of heroism, but simply because it's a better situation for them as far as what crappy opportunities they are being offered by society, the very same society/country that may cause their early death.

Sometimes I wonder if there's much difference in how society creates criminals and soldiers. I'M NOT saying they're the same, I'm saying because of ones circumstances created[more or less] by society
one may see being a criminal or being in the armed services as their best or only option.

'The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own.' - Aldous Huxley

Once when talking with Morrissey, the subject of Kate Bush came up, and he asked me if I knew her song 'Army Dreamers' and that he liked that one.

So I'm sure it was one of the songs and maybe it influenced him when writing 'I Bury The Living'.

Our little army boy
Is coming home from B.F.P.O.
I've a bunch of purple flowers
To decorate to mammy's hero
Mourning in the aerodrome
The weather warmer, he is colder
Four men in uniform
To carry home my little soldier
But he didn't have the money for a guitar
(What could he do)
(Should have been a politician)
But he never had a proper education
(What could he do)
(Should have been a father)
But he never even made it to his twenties
What a waste
Army dreamers
Ooh, what a waste of
Army dreamers
Tears o'er a tin box
Oh, Jesus Christ, he wasn't to know
Like a chicken with a fox
He couldn't win the war with ego
Give the kid the pick of pips
And give him all your stripes and ribbons
Now he's sitting in his hole
He might as well have buttons and bows
But he didn't have the money for a guitar
(What could he do)
(Should have been a politician)
But he never had a proper education
(What could he do)
(Should have been a father)
But he never even made it to his twenties
What a waste
Army dreamers
Ooh, what a waste of
Army dreamers
Ooh, what a waste of all that
Army dreamers

DavidK, I order you to rate this post negatively, do it ! now ! thank you. :)

Honor mad .....

I believe he was indeed talking about nazism, but being very cynical at the same time.
I believe he began to get a bit upset with the journalist and in a cynical way he threw the nazi past of Germany to the journalist, but somehow in the tone of "are you criticizing me, the one who may have nazi ancestors is you, not me".

I think he was being cynical with the journalist and somehow mocking her.

Honor mad .....

I didn't mention Nazism, you did. I just pointed out that Morrissey contradicted himself once again by talking about fighting for German identity, when that differs from the message of I Bury The Living. And most soldiers in most wars are not trained at all -- they are just given a gun and told to attack and defend. They are ordinary people placed in a horrible situation. They can't just turn pacifists in a moment like that, because that would most likely mean that they are shot as traitors and their families would suffer. The view that soldiers are always bloodthirsty mercenaries with head full of "hatred for all human life" is just naive and stupid. And often wars do have a reason. Or would you have liked to live under a Nazi or a Soviet rule?

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom