"Boy, Interrupted" by Dale Hibbert available for pre-sale; Morrissey-solo Q&A request for questions

Mark from Pomona Books sends news of the pre-sale for "Boy, Interrupted" by Dale Hibbert now available at the link below.

In addition, Dale has agreed to answer some questions from site users for a Morrissey-solo Q&A. Please post any questions for Dale you might have in the comments below, I'll forward the top / most liked questions in a few days.

UPDATE Nov. 20:
Answers posted.

Boy, Interrupted by Dale Hibbert
- Pomona Books

Pub: November 2015
ISBN-13: 978-1904590309

"I have felt alone all my life." Dale Hibbert’s story reads like a song by The Smiths, which might not be a coincidence.

His mother died when he was eight days old. He was a latch-key kid. He has married four times and has eight children. He has ‘died’ twice. He is a depressive. He has been penniless. But he has also been a musician, producer, sound engineer, a millionaire and the owner of night clubs, cafés and successful businesses. He has lived in a car, and a mansion.

Hibbert was a member of The Smiths during their early days and privy to the dreams and outlandish ideas of young Morrissey and Marr. As the bass player and engineer at their first recording sessions, he helped shape their sound. With Morrissey’s arms around his waist, they rode the streets of Manchester.

Hibbert gives a compelling insight into the rain-swept, working class life that fuelled the creativity of The Smiths. He was also a witness to the Manchester music scene of the late-1970s and early-1980s that spawned, among others, Joy Division, Buzzcocks and The Fall.

All those people, all those lives, as Steven (‘Don’t call me Steve!’) Patrick Morrissey once said.

boy_interrupted.jpg

Related link:

Last edited:
Re: "Boy, Interrupted" by Dale Hibbert available for pre-sale; Morrissey-solo Q&A forthcoming

wonder how long itll be until some get answers

Re: "Boy, Interrupted" by Dale Hibbert available for pre-sale; Morrissey-solo Q&A forthcoming

Non-music question. I work in Manchester. The travelling is a pain, so looking to relocate halfway, and looking at Todmorden for a move. What attracted you to Tod, and what do you like about it?

Non-music question. I work in Manchester. The travelling is a pain, so looking to relocate halfway, and looking at Todmorden for a move. What attracted you to Tod, and what do you like about it?

Todmorden is a bit hippyish and cut off, look at areas like Bury/Ramsbottom/Rossendale valley with good motorway/trams into the city. Great countryside/outdoors away from the city. The Smiths Ltd are performing in Rawtenstall this wknd. Steven also used to hang out with a friend in nearby Haslingden in the old days as well.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I suppose the answer to a lot of the questions will be "it's in the book".

Anyway...

Dale, did you write any of what became the Smiths' basslines as we know them, or were they re-written by Andy Rourke?

And what, if anything, can you tell us about Annalisa, who did the female voice on Suffer Little Children?

What evidence is there that the bass lines were even written by Rourke?

What evidence is there that the bass lines were even written by Rourke?
"There was no drums there, it was just me and Andy jamming like we used to when we were 14 or 15. I know a lot of fuss has been made and Andy is, quite rightly, proud of that bassline, but, personally, harmonically I don't think it comes anywhere near Andy's other stuff. 'Nowhere Fast', 'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore', 'The Headmaster Ritual', all tower above it." - Johnny, on the bassline for "Barbarism Begins at Home." Per Smiths On Guitar.

Unfortunately, the quotation is unsourced. However, I've encountered a few other interviews with Johnny where he explicitly states Andy came up with basslines, and he would sometimes make suggestions or changes. I'm on my way out to see PIL at the moment so I'll see if I can dig them up later on. I'm pretty sure I have them saved in a text doc (the "Andy didn't write any of the basslines" myth irks me as a big fan of Rourke's bass work).

"There was no drums there, it was just me and Andy jamming like we used to when we were 14 or 15. I know a lot of fuss has been made and Andy is, quite rightly, proud of that bassline, but, personally, harmonically I don't think it comes anywhere near Andy's other stuff. 'Nowhere Fast', 'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore', 'The Headmaster Ritual', all tower above it." - Johnny, on the bassline for "Barbarism Begins at Home." Per Smiths On Guitar.

Unfortunately, the quotation is unsourced. However, I've encountered a few other interviews with Johnny where he explicitly states Andy came up with basslines, and he would sometimes make suggestions or changes. I'm on my way out to see PIL at the moment so I'll see if I can dig them up later on. I'm pretty sure I have them saved in a text doc (the "Andy didn't write any of the basslines" myth irks me as a big fan of Rourke's bass work).

I am as well and just don't care for the myth that johnny is responsible for all the music. Andy's bass lines at times are really what make some of those songs

Thanks for the info. Enjoy PIL.

Funny that. I thought Morrissey wrote all the bass lines.

;)

hmm i wonder what came first in headmaster, the bassline or the guitar part. i almost wanna say the bassline just from listening. marr has also mentioned in guitar world i think that a lot of people come up to him and say how much they love the guitar part and hum it with him having to tell them that its the bass part theyre refereing. i think ask was used as an example

Todmorden is a bit hippyish and cut off, look at areas like Bury/Ramsbottom/Rossendale valley with good motorway/trams into the city. Great countryside/outdoors away from the city. The Smiths Ltd are performing in Rawtenstall this wknd. Steven also used to hang out with a friend in nearby Haslingden in the old days as well.

Benny-the-British-Butcher ������

I'd say yes to all of that, but my wife needs to be on a rail route back towards Halifax. So we decided Tod was the best bet. Also - I have this image of Haslingden being nothing but rain and pie-shops.

I'd say yes to all of that, but my wife needs to be on a rail route back towards Halifax. So we decided Tod was the best bet. Also - I have this image of Haslingden being nothing but rain and pie-shops.

She could drive from Rossendale to Burnley ini twentyish minutes and pick up a train at Manchester rd station they go to Halifax and free parking all day

I read a book once. Will this be like that?

She could drive from Rossendale to Burnley ini twentyish minutes and pick up a train at Manchester rd station they go to Halifax and free parking all day

I lived just outside Burnley in a shat hole called Padiham for 20 years! Hassling don and surrounding area is nice, Bury might be a good shout for getting into Manchester not sure about getting to Halifax though. Saw Morrissey at the town hall there once, was a great gig.

hmm i wonder what came first in headmaster, the bassline or the guitar part. i almost wanna say the bassline just from listening. marr has also mentioned in guitar world i think that a lot of people come up to him and say how much they love the guitar part and hum it with him having to tell them that its the bass part theyre refereing. i think ask was used as an example

Accordingly to Marr, the guitar part as he was already playing it during the first album sessions.

Accordingly to Marr, the guitar part as he was already playing it during the first album sessions.

cool i could see it coming from the first album sessions as it kinda reminds me of hand in glove a bit with its circular bit. that riff is one of my favs of his so good to know

I lived just outside Burnley in a shat hole called Padiham for 20 years! Hassling don and surrounding area is nice, Bury might be a good shout for getting into Manchester not sure about getting to Halifax though. Saw Morrissey at the town hall there once, was a great gig.

You did well to get out of that area I've been through it a couple of times.

copyright is based on lyrics and melody only.
what would be the purpose of his paid royalties if his 'basslines' had to be written for him?

Oh good lord. I used to visit Padiham. Hotbed of BNP bell-ends. Nothing but bad memories of the place.

Oh good lord. I used to visit Padiham. Hotbed of BNP bell-ends. Nothing but bad memories of the place.

Yes its a proper shit hole, although when I lived there the BNP stuff hadn't started. I still go over now and again for birthdays, funerals etc. It really is like another world!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom