"Bulbous salutation in the otherwise festive zone" card

Posted by @mikejoyce / Twitter:

@mikejoyce: It was sent to me today.

festive_card.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Bulbous salutation in the otherwise festive zone" card

Can you imagine what he'd be earning if he was playing a Smiths gig though? He f***ed up.

moz would have them down to 100 quid a gig.

History tells us he'd be getting as little as possible.

Okay, put the money issue aside; if Joyce hadn't taken M&M to court, he might still be a Smith, or at the very least be drumming in a band with either Morrissey or Marr instead of playing Come On Eileen at weddings and christenings. Is Joyce really happy with the decision he made? Only he can answer that, and I doubt he would answer it truthfully (even to himself) because of self preservation.

Can you imagine what he'd be earning if he was playing a Smiths gig though? He f***ed up.

Oddly Morrissey has played far bigger venues than the Smiths ever did the UK, I think their biggest one was the Summer of the 10th Festival gig at Manchester G Mex, which New Order headlined. Was rammed though when The Smiths were on.

Okay, put the money issue aside; if Joyce hadn't taken M&M to court, he might still be a Smith, or at the very least be drumming in a band with either Morrissey or Marr instead of playing Come On Eileen at weddings and christenings. Is Joyce really happy with the decision he made? Only he can answer that, and I doubt he would answer it truthfully (even to himself) because of self preservation.

It was about money at the end of the day. A huge amount. A while ago, someone posted sales data showing that the Smiths back catalogue had consistently outsold Morrissey's solo material during the 90s and 00s. Mike has made millions from his decision to sue. I don't think anyone in their right mind would swap that for the prospect of waiting around in the vague hope of a Smiths reunion.

Oddly Morrissey has played far bigger venues than the Smiths ever did the UK, I think their biggest one was the Summer of the 10th Festival gig at Manchester G Mex, which New Order headlined. Was rammed though when The Smiths were on.

There would have been way more people at Glastonbury 1984 than at G Mex. And the Smiths *supposedly* played to 300,000 in Madrid (although I readily accept that is technically not in the UK).

Your basic point is true, though, but I think its generally to do with the way the concert business has changed, having middle aged fans and not doing 30-date UK tours.

No, that's not at all what I was saying. Go back and read it a few times over, or make someone read it for you.

Let me help you with your argument.
I don't personally agree with wishing death on someone. Also, when Morrissey does so in a song, it's different than when he says it in an interview or onstage. Art is like that. And even when Morrissey does say he wishes someone would die everyone knows who he is. He has been investigated and detained for these sorts of comments, particularly the George Bush comment he made when Reagan died.
That is different than repeatedly wishing death on someone, anonymously, on a fansite.

And thanks for killing the Smiths off proper.

You must be very privileged to have never needed anything owed to you. If The Smiths finished because Morrissey was spiteful about paying what he owed, which seems to be the case, it is not the fault of the person who was owed. Anyway, it's hilarious that you think he's just worth 10% because I'm sure your opinion is worth 0% to Mike. *thumbsdown* *frowneyface*

It was about money at the end of the day. A huge amount. A while ago, someone posted sales data showing that the Smiths back catalogue had consistently outsold Morrissey's solo material during the 90s and 00s. Mike has made millions from his decision to sue. I don't think anyone in their right mind would swap that for the prospect of waiting around in the vague hope of a Smiths reunion.

You are missing the point. If he hadn't sued, there is a very good chance that Joyce would now be drumming for Morrissey or Marr & still enjoying life as a musician instead of shuffling around reminiscing on the good old days. Instead of playing sold out concert venues, Joyce is deejaying in pubs. Who would choose that ahead of life as a rock star? Money is actually very unimportant in life's big picture, but Joyce was too blind/greedy to see that.

He is now in the press with this story ... and with this photograph :sick:

CWiWwyCUEAAgVtP.png

' Morrissey was spiteful about paying what he owed ' ?

' he owed' ?

Prove it. Of course it's funny how you don't mention Marr in this blaming game of yours.

'it's hilarious that you think he's just worth 10% because I'm sure your opinion is worth 0% to Mike'

Really ? :lbf: Why you wanna go and hurt me like that? boo-hoo! I'm sure my opinions about Mike are all that he has and will give him plenty of sleepless nights. Which is good because....

don't close your eyes
don't ever close your eyes
you think you've won
oh no

they are all on the stage every night why should he only get 10% this is thatcher all over again.

' he owed' ?

Prove it. Of course it's funny how you don't mention Marr in this blaming game of yours.

'it's hilarious that you think he's just worth 10% because I'm sure your opinion is worth 0% to Mike'

Really ? :lbf: Why you wanna go and hurt me like that? boo-hoo! I'm sure my opinions about Mike are all that he has and will give him plenty of sleepless nights. Which is good because....

don't close your eyes
you think you've won
oh no

I actually do mention Marr, maybe in this thread, maybe in one of the numerous others about the same subject. He was complicit, obviously. But he paid. If I hadn't mentioned Marr your argument would be, "If Morrissey is wrong so is Marr," then? I agree.

And yes, Morrissey is spiteful, and it was found in court that he owed. Are you saying Morrissey is not spiteful? How many songs does he have to write about it? How much of his life does he have to devote to his problem that the courts ruled against him? Right or wrong to keep it going this long, and to spend more and lose more than it would cost to pay the judgment, is clearly spite. What else is it?

Am I the only one who doesn't give one thin shit that Morrissey got sued by Mike and Andy?
Or that Barney and friends are getting sued by Peter Hook?

You go into a band as friends. Friends don't f*** friends when they bend over to tie their shoe.
Friends don't place themselves first, and take the largest piece of cake for themselves.

Unless they are devious assholes. End of story!

What an a**hole for posting this on twitter. He STILL has to get attention via Morrissey. Another hangers on. I hope he chokes on his crack pipe

'spite'? no. The need for justice were justice was not served? yes.

Revenge through words.. through song. Revenge as justice..and so he uses the tools of an artist. In this world as we know it..sick and cruel as it spins... There are those who must create an alternative to it in order to survive. This is called ART.

And I'm sure plenty of respectful judges have sent innocent people to their deaths just to make a name for themselves or to do a favor for someone that's hiding in the shadows.

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure Morrissey would not only agree that he is spiteful but claim spite as a virtue, not a vice. Sometimes I wonder if we even listened to the same records or read the same interviews. You can be spiteful when you're right just as easily as when you're wrong, can't you?

verb
verb: spite; 3rd person present: spites; past tense: spited; past participle: spited; gerund or present participle: spiting

deliberately hurt, annoy, or offend (someone).
noun
noun: spite

a desire to hurt, annoy, or offend someone.

You don't think he is deliberately annoying Mike Joyce when he writes songs like the one you quoted or makes posts stating that Mike Joyce tried to take away the home Morrissey gave to his mother? You don't think Margaret On The Guillotine was meant to annoy and offend? Now, I like that song and I'm not saying he shouldn't have written it. I can be spiteful myself as most humans can. But when you let it consume your thoughts to the point that he has with the legal problems of The Smiths, it can't be healthy and it can't lead to peace of mind. Of the part of his autobiography that deals with The Smiths a large part of it is about the lawsuits.
That is what spite does. It's when you hate someone you don't even know anymore, but the thought of them makes your blood pressure rise. I know this because I experience it myself, but I also try to see the bigger picture, to laugh at myself, to change and to let go. I don't actively keep it going intentionally and think it's a good choice to do so.
It has hurt his art, hurt his health, hurt his reputation, hurt his sanity to keep this thing going. Right or wrong, it was his decision to take more that started this, and his decision to do so in a way that did not hold up in court, and his decision not to accept the fact that he f***ed up, and his decision not to pay the price for it.
It doesn't even matter if he deserved 100% of the money, he didn't do it right. It didn't hold up in court. At that point any sane, reasonable person accepts the judgment, pays, and moves on with their life. Only a spiteful and unreasonable person lives in the shadow of this mistake for decades, only to have the person he has cast in the role of a stupid and greedy thief for all these years come forward in one two hour interview and explain this in a way that people like myself, who previously agreed with Morrissey. agree with. Mike Joyce put his heart into The Smiths and comes across as a reasonable person. He's not lying in that interview. He doesn't fudge and pause and choose his words carefully. He talks fast, he's consistent, he praises Morrissey repeatedly, and he comes across as very honest.

So yes, spite. The thing is, if you can't see this, I don't know how you can understand Morrissey at all. Some of his "negative" traits are what makes some of his art so entertaining.

The Smiths split in 87, the court case was 96 not sure why people think the two events are linked. He was awarded a million in cash as well, which in 96 was a lot of money, so the comments re: garages etc are a bit off the mark.

Last edited:

' he owed' ?

don't close your eyes
you think you've won
oh no

" PROVE IT ! "

It was proved in a British court of law you pin head ! Why don't you and the rest of the cult get a collection together "#Justice for Tosserrey " raise the cash and take it back to court ? ( the justice system will happily take your cash you know ).

I shall put a wager on Mr Mike Joyce winning the case and Lord Silly Steven of CrankFruad being found even more devious, truculent, unreliable as well as having a mental age of fourteen.

What is it you don't get ? Your always on the overtime shift getting yourself all worked up for Silly Steve, blood pressure is a killer you know ! Anymore of this nonsense and I shall have to refer to as "stupid".

God save the Queen and a big shout out for my main man judge John Weeks (love ya Bro).

Benny-the-British-Butcher

:thumb:

- - - Updated - - -

:thumb:

Dear Joyce,
Even with judge Weaks and luck on your side ..you'll always be just 10 percent in my eyes. And thanks for killing the Smiths off proper.

Dear Mike
Thanks for being the drummer in The Smiths - it was a great privilege to see the band live on 3 occasions and the rhythm section that you and Andy provided brought the songs to life at live gigs.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom