Buy Nothing Day!

What a stupid idea.

I'm a pretty frugal person, and very conservative when it comes to spending money....but I think that this is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

What kind of idiotic nonsense is this? Yes, not spending money (something essential to the economy and our very way of life) for one day will really make a difference! People will stand up and take notice, just like with those internet signature protests that get like 1,000 people signing them!

You go, brothers and sisters of peace and love! Bring down the man! Death to capitalism!

Friday I will be going out to the stores and probably buying a book, coffee at Starbucks and several bottles of wine. I'm afraid I won't be 'taking it to the man' with the rest of the stupid hippies who think they will be making any difference whatsoever with their completely insignificant act of defiance.

Nice idea in theory, but most people are shallow and fickle, hence it'll never work...

anyhows i can go WEEKS without buying a thing, do i get an award?

What kind of idiotic nonsense is this? Yes, not spending money (something essential to the economy and our very way of life) for one day will really make a difference! People will stand up and take notice, just like with those internet signature protests that get like 1,000 people signing them!

You go, brothers and sisters of peace and love! Bring down the man! Death to capitalism!

Friday I will be going out to the stores and probably buying a book, coffee at Starbucks and several bottles of wine. I'm afraid I won't be 'taking it to the man' with the rest of the stupid hippies who think they will be making any difference whatsoever with their completely insignificant act of defiance.

Yep.... I think I'll spend plenty of money on Friday, just to counter this idiotic protest.

Nice idea in theory, but most people are shallow and fickle, hence it'll never work...

anyhows i can go WEEKS without buying a thing, do i get an award?

WTF is shallow and fickle about spending money and buying something when you want it or when you need it?

I'd think it a better idea if people taking part gave some of the money they saved to charity... :)

I'd think it a better idea if people taking part gave some of the money they saved to charity... :)

I agree, give money or time. We worked at a food pantry a couple of weeks ago, and my kids really enjoyed giving their time for a good cause...They said they wanted to do it again soon.

Just because money is essential to our economy and current way of life it doesn't make it a good thing. Obviously not buying things for one day doesn't make a difference, but it's not about that. It's about being free from money for 24 hours.

I agree, give money or time. We worked at a food pantry a couple of weeks ago, and my kids really enjoyed giving their time for a good cause...They said they wanted to do it again soon.

Most of the people who will do this already give lots more time to causes than probably anyone you know, it's not an either/or thing. It's good you're doing stuff like that with your kids, though. :)

The problem with this demo is economically it will alter nothing.

People have for a few years in the UK said 'lets boycott buying petrol for a day'.
So no one buys petrol that day..... but they would stock up in advance the day before and spend exactly the same as if they had bought petrol that day.

I actually didn't buy anything today - I made sandwiches for lunch and all my food was in the fridge from shopping on Sunday that I needed to eat tonight. The local paper is free in the city centre. So I haven't bought anything but have still contributed to the economy by buying in advance.

Someone above mentioned the right idea.... don't eat for the day or walk to work / school and the money you saved, give to Oxfam or some other charity.

Jukebox Jury

Tags
hand it over hand it over
Back
Top Bottom