Can Morrissey keep his most hardcore fan contingent - Latino Americans - on side? - NME

Can king of controversy Morrissey keep his most hardcore fan contingent – Latino Americans – on side? - NME

The musical icon's forthright opinions are losing him fans at home, but the passion famously runs deep among his Latino fanbase.

By Bob Chiarito.

Excerpt:

"Former Moz fan Dave Haslam recently helped organise an anti-racism party during the singer’s scheduled Manchester concert in July, a concert that Morrissey claimed on his website was cancelled “Due to logistical circumstances beyond our control.”

“He had to cancel his shows in Manchester because of our boycott,” said Lois Browne, coordinator of the UK-based group Love Music Hate Racism that teamed with Haslam.

“It showed the solidarity of people and that the majority do not accept racism or fascist ideas. Of course, he gave a different reason for the cancellation,” Browne said. Morrissey refused to comment for this article.

While the issues that Haslam and Browne protested Morrissey’s shows for can arguably be described as more pertinent to the UK than to Latino-Americans, racism against any group is often viewed harshly by all minority groups."

A selection of people quoted on the topic.
Nothing staggeringly new asserted.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as they dont move to England and stay in their wartorn/gang infested areas he will be fine with them.

I love Xanadu,it will never happen but would love mozzs angle on it.would rather he took on roxys the thrill of it all,which is johnboys favourite roxy song.
I'd like to hear him cover Belle and Sebastian
maybe....
The state I am in
Fox in the Snow
If you find yourself caught in love

Sadly this is true - I heard it from a friend who works at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh. Less than a third of the tickets were sold a day before the concert was due to go ahead. I hate the thought of it - but our guy has committed career suicide. He should learn to keep his mouth shut. Certain views are not appreciated - like it or not you can't say some things in public.

He scheduled the tour too soon after the earlier concerts in Feb/Match. Its as simple as that.
Dave Hasbeen has an overinflated sense if his own importance.
Morrissey will never keep his mouth shut and why should he!
Theres enough self-serving lily livered artistss and wannabees like Haslam keeping on the right side of the PC media, lest they smear their lovely careers.
The bland leading the bland.
Morrissey has said nothing wrong. There is such censorship of the truth at present that there is no room for civilised discussion in the mainstream media or socal media for that matter, without resorting to knee jerk reactions and name-calling.
How could morrissey be such a shameless liar and racist.
Tommy Robinson was treated wonderfully.
Halal slaughter sends the lucky animals off to sleep with lullabys.
Under Sharia law little girls go to sleep safely every night with no fear of their childhood being taken away.
And anyone who says otherwise is a racist.

They write all the time the same thing just in case somebody missed the previous articles.

Sadly this is true - I heard it from a friend who works at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh. Less than a third of the tickets were sold a day before the concert was due to go ahead. I hate the thought of it - but our guy has committed career suicide. He should learn to keep his mouth shut. Certain views are not appreciated - like it or not you can't say some things in public.
Will you and your kind promise to do the same?

Mexican-American Morrissey Fans Abound - Chill Magazine.

For years, a love affair has existed between Mexican-Americans and sad music — but are these Morrissey T-shirt wearing sensitivos a dying breed?

By Desiree Guerrero.

Excerpt:

"I am certainly not the first to wax philosophical about the ongoing love affair between Morrissey and his Latinx fans, and even about the very specific connection between Mexican-American fans and the singer. In fact, Crowell’s keen observation comparing this type of music to the “whiney” ranchera music popular in her parents’ generation has been made by others who are deep in the scene.

“As in ranchera, Morrissey’s lyrics rely on ambiguity, powerful imagery, and metaphors,” Gustavo Arellano writes in his book Ask a Mexican, based on his popular, long-running weekly column of the same name in the OC Weekly. “Thematically, the idealization of a simpler life and a rejection of all things bourgeois come from a populist impulse common to ranchera.”

Morrissey often sings of being an Irish immigrant in an imperialistic society (England) that looks down on his people yet relies on them to supply cheap labor. Naturally, that strikes Mexican-Americans as a familiar experience. There are other cultural similarities Irish and Mexican people share, as well: a strong work ethic, a love of boxing, and being devout Catholics."

A longer examination with contributions by several Morrissey linked people.
Included in this thread as it is along the same lines.
Regards,
FWD.

Since when are his Latino fans the most hard core contingent anyway? Is there a competition I don't know about?

Is it possible some people are so stupid? "Latinos" are not a minority in Latin America.

South America doesn't have huge racial or religious problems, at least until now. We have big problems derived from economical inequalities and poverty. Racism is an imported ideology here. Maybe we are too poor to care for non existent entities like human races, when the realities of hungry and misery are affecting a lot of human beings.

Castlefield Bowl gigs/weekend had only sold out if Morrissey did not add the the other dates in the UK, maybe London. Haslams would have been pointless if Catlefield was sold out or close to, anyway again backflas from the eNeMEy.

While you do have certain amount of far left regressives who bend over backwards for Islam in North America, it’s mostly a European mentality. North America is obsessed with gender identity as their pet clause lately.

While you do have certain amount of far left regressives who bend over backwards for Islam in North America, it’s mostly a European mentality. North America is obsessed with gender identity as their pet clause lately.
Was pet clause a slip of the tongue? Was a clever one regardless.

Is it possible some people are so stupid? "Latinos" are not a minority in Latin America.

South America doesn't have huge racial or religious problems, at least until now. We have big problems derived from economical inequalities and poverty. Racism is an imported ideology here. Maybe we are too poor to care for non existent entities like human races, when the realities of hungry and misery are affecting a lot of human beings.
Is ISLam big in Latin America?

He cancelled for logistical reasons, which translated means not enough tickets were sold.
The guy cancels his tour, not one or two concerts, the entire tour.
All this for a question of logistics ...... But what can be this problem of logistics ???
Of course, he did not sell enough tickets, it's clear!
But so much easier to talk about a dark problem of logistics (like "it's not my fault), to admit that we have not sold enough ticket (like, it's because of me) , that would be to admit that the fans disavows his opinions ....

And it's also the fault of vegan cro spirit, who did not buy enough seats.
If the concerts were canceled, it's all his fault.
vegan cro, you're not a real fan. A real fan would ruin himself and sell father and mother for his god! :ahhh:
DTC

This is true. As if Latinos in Latin America view themselves as minorities through a Eurocentric lens and as such have a natural affinity with Muslims. There’s no racism in Latin America or the Middle East. How could there be, it’s full of maybe minorities

Asking that shows little understanding of the world and partially explains the racist labelism shortcut.

This is true. As if Latinos in Latin America view themselves as minorities through a Eurocentric lens and as such have a natural affinity with Muslims. There’s no racism in Latin America or the Middle East. How could there be, it’s full of maybe minorities

Until now, South America has ZERO affinity with muslims. There's an overwhelming christian majority here, and links with muslims are instantly related to Venezuelan dictatorship, which is a tremendous failure in every sense, and represents a huge human tragedy, at least from our southern point of view. I know corporations that are making big business with Venezuelean oil are paying mainstream media to diminish the image of this tragedy. PR wins human rights.
Believe it or not, American continent is a entirely western society, from Canada to Patagonia, since those are the values of dominant classes. European descendents are mostly mixed with native descendents, that is the best way to avoid racism. Seriously, we already have our own macho women's torturers here, hope we don't need to add muslims to our bestiary.

Until now, South America has ZERO affinity with muslims. There's an overwhelming christian majority here, and links with muslims are instantly related to Venezuelan dictatorship, which is a tremendous failure in every sense, and represents a huge human tragedy, at least from our southern point of view. I know corporations that are making big business with Venezuelean oil are paying mainstream media to diminish the image of this tragedy. PR wins human rights.
Believe it or not, American continent is a entirely western society, from Canada to Patagonia, since those are the values of dominant classes. European descendents are mostly mixed with native descendents, that is the best way to avoid racism. Seriously, we already have our own macho women's torturers here, hope we don't need to add muslims to our bestiary.

Ayatollahs will send Chezz over there to do some missionary work.:straightface:

Ayatollahs will send Chezz over there to do some missionary work.:straightface:

Oh, they tried. Until now, chinese are winning the new colonization battle, one shop every 100 metres in my city. The problem with them is they don't integrate. It's only work and work for them, maybe just a little gambling and more work. My mother wants to save a chinese man she thinks is a slave in the market where she buys, but he doesn't speak our language so she can't do anything. The woman who owns the shop shouts at him all the time and my mother found him crying once. I'm afraid my mother reacts and she have a problem with the rising chinese mafia.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom