Could this be the Carol of "When I last Spoke to Carol"?

The Seeker of Good Songs

Carol Clerk

I add my voice to those shocked and saddened by the news that journalist Carol Clerk passed away on Saturday 13 March. Carol’s name will be familiar to anybody who read Melody Maker in the 80s and 90s where she edited the news section and was also frequently dispatched to interview all manner of rock’n’roll reprobates, be it Anti-Nowhere League (who I recall being photographed in the paper wearing Carol on their heads) or Hanoi Rocks (whose bad company almost got her a two-year stretch in an Israeli prison).

I knew Carol much later on during the years I wrote and worked for Uncut magazine. The legendary “Clerkie” was usually among the first to arrive whenever there was a drink-up, and often among the last to leave. With her dyed pink hair, leather jacket and walking stick she forever looked like she’d recently discharged herself from some sort of Punk Rock Hospital. Carol was everything you could ask of a drinking buddy: a great raconteur, an effortless comedian, a good listener and possessed of the superhuman stamina of the Irish. To a young rookie like myself she was endlessly inspiring and extremely kind, passing on priceless advice about publishers and book agents which I’ve never forgotten.

Being the sad fan I could always count on Carol to humour me by repeating the nobody-else-would-care yarn about the day Morrissey rang her up at the Maker with his own news story. But my most treasured memories involve hearing her many dealings with the criminal underworld as ghost author of several villain memoirs. I feel privileged to have spent just a few hours of my life listening to her scandalous gossip about Janie Jones, Mad Frankie Fraser, Cynthia Payne and The Krays, all of which I’d inevitably forgotten the next morning when sobriety resumed.

I knew Carol only briefly, but enough to recognise and admire her tremendous spirit, one which will be missed by all fortunate enough to walk in its path. A Facebook page has been set up in her memory here.

http://simongoddardwords.blogspot.com/2010/03/carol-clerk.html

I think I'm gonna need to buy one Mozipedia to me.
I have been fighting against buying one, but I can't stand to wait anymore....

I think I'm gonna need to buy one Mozipedia to me.
I have been fighting against buying one, but I can't stand to wait anymore....

The book is a must have for info, for every human whose addicted to
the Smiths/Morrissey ...>

it's not a book you gonna read from page one, but lies around, and
always handy when your thinking of something and can't remember it
concerning Morrissey's life,music, also The Smiths members, producers
It's a real encyclopedia, but never complete:lbf:

as I read in this thread, good scoop Seeker:thumb:

Last edited:

I think it's just a coincidence. Looking at Facebook Carol Clerk was born in 1954, not 1975. To me it just reads like an obituary for a friend but being Goddard he can't help but mention anything Morrissey-related whenever he gets the chance. If he thought the song was about her he would be the first to come out and say it in his book so I wouldn't read much into it.

I still think the Kristeen Young theory is the best for that song.

I think it's just a coincidence. Looking at Facebook Carol Clerk was born in 1954, not 1975. To me it just reads like an obituary for a friend but being Goddard he can't help but mention anything Morrissey-related whenever he gets the chance. If he thought the song was about her he would be the first to come out and say it in his book so I wouldn't read much into it.

I still think the Kristeen Young theory is the best for that song.

But few people will say "the day I was born in 1975", unless they were jockingly taking years off...
I just don't want it to be KY, sorry :(

But few people will say "the day I was born in 1975", unless they were jockingly taking years off...
I just don't want it to be KY, sorry :(

I bet it's probably not about KY nor even about anybody called Carol in real life! Certainly not this thread's Carol anyway.

in Britain, arent there dudes named Carol too? :straightface:

not just in Britain
20.jpg

I don't think that the 'day I was born' actually refers to a d.o.b. rather an awakening or an enlightenment that happened during that year.

I also think it is a experience that the narrator & Carol shared - perhaps when they met & started a relationship, one out of convenience. Furthermore they hid there true emotions from each other until now.

No matter how I slice it I can't think it's about anything other than Morrissey's public falling out with Kristeen Young. Look at their chronology, compare it to the lyrics, think.

Morrissey's really not that obscure when it comes to writing songs about people in his life. In fact he's quite obvious about it -- it's the presentation that's enigmatic.

No matter how I slice it I can't think it's about anything other than Morrissey's public falling out with Kristeen Young. c.
just wondering..
is kristen still together with mr visconti?

Back
Top Bottom