Dallas Texas Area Moz Fans are Pathetic - a Red Lightining Review

F

faffyface

To sum this up: GO SEE RED LIGHTNING - You won't regret it. Anyone that calls themselves a Morrissey fan MUST see this band.

Well I was one of the maybe 10 people there to see them play and coming from a town that supposedly sports lots of Moz fans it was pathetic. If Johnny Marr's band was playing I am sure they'd all come out. Sure Marr did great music for the smiths, but what has he done since then - nothing. Case in point - RL played the BEST version of Bigmouth I have ever heard. AMAZING sound from only a 3 piece band.

Anyway on to the show. Me and my buddy showed up early, as we walked up we heard them soundchecking - heard Bigmouth and This Charming man. We couldn't figure out why no one was there, sure it was 27 degrees, but come on its a guy who wrote tons of Moz's music over the past almost 10 years. I felt bad for the band due to the turn out, but they where still in very high spirts - bye the way this place had no heat so it wasnt much warmer inside.

While waiting for the doors to open, the side door opened and out came the band. I was a little concerned because they were loading things up. I asked them if they were loading up and they said no. Apparently they were just storing some equipment in the truck. Met Alain, he just walked up to me and introduced himself. I did see that Johnny the bassist does look very similar to Alain as someone else has stated, but I have seen Alain live with Morrissey too many times to not recognize him.

The put on a great show playing almost everything from the EP and all the tracks they have sampled on their website and some new ones. High light of the show was Sign Up - excellent song, you can hear Johnny's (basssist) Agent Orange influence. The Edges are No Longer Parellel wasn't played, but that was ok, as I enjoyed hearing Red Lightnign's original music .

After the show me and my buddy spoke with Alain in some detail, and asked him alot of questions, he was very forthcoming. Spoke to him about the new Moz album, the forthecoming tour, and even shared a smoke with him.

I URGE anyone that has a chance to see them play to do it, you won't regret it.

After the show they signed cds which were for sale - its an 8 track EP and is excellent - can't wait for the rest of the album. Got the CD/shirt combo for only 20 bucks - great deal.

Overall I could get over how friendly and down to earth the band was. The must have thanked us a hundred times and really appreciated us coming out. GO SEE THEM! trust me. Even if you don't like the music, the chance to meet Alain is well worth it - he's an amazing guy.

Thank you so much for posting this, a great review. Luckily, tons of folks showed up at the OKC show, and the band is really thrilled about it. Tonight, Tulsa!

> Thank you so much for posting this, a great review. Luckily, tons of folks
> showed up at the OKC show, and the band is really thrilled about it.
> Tonight, Tulsa!

Awesome!

> Awesome!
.....uhhh sorry, I was totally out of touch with the RL tour, else I surely would have come!! damn it! damn me!

that's not good...

i've thought about it and after looking at the roster of their booking agency, i think that they need to get a new one.

seriously. it's like, nearly every band they send through Austin is sent to Momo's regardless of what kind of band they are. that just sounds lazy, like the person who runs that agency knows that one phone number and can't be bothered to cultivate new contacts.

Red Lightning is not for Momo's crowd. the very few times i've been there, i've mainly seen ex-frat boys who are now selling insurance but who still wear the khaki pants and baseball hat (but actually not turned around backwards like they did in college) and women that are in their late 20's but look much older because they've over-tanned themselves and are now stumbling around, drunk and giggling in their little party dresses while some knockoff of the Scabs is up on stage yelling "wave your arms in the air!"

i think that was the first time i've stepped foot inside Momo's in a few years.

what they should have done was move them closer to the actual 6th street clubbing area where they have venues where people show up because that's their normal hang out and also added a couple more bands to the line-up so that they get more people in.

very good investigative work! I have no idea how that whole booking agent/venue thing works. I just hope they have better luck touring in the Spring with their full length album!

While we're here - great kudos and thanks to Suzanne for the CD. Much appreciated, and it's pure class. How many of those are in the UK? Thanks again.

Cheers,

Sk./Peter

> While we're here - great kudos and thanks to Suzanne for the CD. Much
> appreciated, and it's pure class. How many of those are in the UK? Thanks
> again.

huh?

> huh?

Ha ha! I just realised my mistake - it's t'other Susan! So sorry! Nevertheless, the sentiment remains!

Best Wishes,

Sk./Peter

> Ha ha! I just realised my mistake - it's t'other Susan! So sorry!

there's another one of ME running around?

> Nevertheless, the sentiment remains!

yeah, sorry. couldn't buy a CD because i was too busy fleeing the scene.

> Best Wishes,

> Sk./Peter

agreed! not to mention the marketting for the tour was non existent.... If i didnt happen upon their tour info here, i'd have no idea they were coming.

> agreed! not to mention the marketting for the tour was non existent.... If
> i didnt happen upon their tour info here, i'd have no idea they were
> coming.

last night, i went to go see a friend's band. the band that came on after them had an original idea for collecting email addresses for their mailing list:

somehow, they had gotten a hold of an autographed Lionel Richie album (the one with "All Night Long") and had a giveaway. to enter, you filled out a little card with your name and email address.

i thought that was fun.

> agreed! not to mention the marketting for the tour was non existent.... If
> i didnt happen upon their tour info here, i'd have no idea they were
> coming.

I must not be doing my best at beating people over the head to go see them!

> To sum this up: GO SEE RED LIGHTNING - You won't regret it. Anyone that
> calls themselves a Morrissey fan MUST see this band.

> Well I was one of the maybe 10 people there to see them play and coming
> from a town that supposedly sports lots of Moz fans it was pathetic. If
> Johnny Marr's band was playing I am sure they'd all come out. Sure Marr
> did great music for the smiths, but what has he done since then - nothing.
> Case in point - RL played the BEST version of Bigmouth I have ever heard.
> AMAZING sound from only a 3 piece band.

> Anyway on to the show. Me and my buddy showed up early, as we walked up we
> heard them soundchecking - heard Bigmouth and This Charming man. We
> couldn't figure out why no one was there, sure it was 27 degrees, but come
> on its a guy who wrote tons of Moz's music over the past almost 10 years.
> I felt bad for the band due to the turn out, but they where still in very
> high spirts - bye the way this place had no heat so it wasnt much warmer
> inside.

> While waiting for the doors to open, the side door opened and out came the
> band. I was a little concerned because they were loading things up. I
> asked them if they were loading up and they said no. Apparently they were
> just storing some equipment in the truck. Met Alain, he just walked up to
> me and introduced himself. I did see that Johnny the bassist does look
> very similar to Alain as someone else has stated, but I have seen Alain
> live with Morrissey too many times to not recognize him.

> The put on a great show playing almost everything from the EP and all the
> tracks they have sampled on their website and some new ones. High light of
> the show was Sign Up - excellent song, you can hear Johnny's (basssist)
> Agent Orange influence. The Edges are No Longer Parellel wasn't played,
> but that was ok, as I enjoyed hearing Red Lightnign's original music .

> After the show me and my buddy spoke with Alain in some detail, and asked
> him alot of questions, he was very forthcoming. Spoke to him about the new
> Moz album, the forthecoming tour, and even shared a smoke with him.

> I URGE anyone that has a chance to see them play to do it, you won't
> regret it.

> After the show they signed cds which were for sale - its an 8 track EP and
> is excellent - can't wait for the rest of the album. Got the CD/shirt
> combo for only 20 bucks - great deal.

> Overall I could get over how friendly and down to earth the band was. The
> must have thanked us a hundred times and really appreciated us coming out.
> GO SEE THEM! trust me. Even if you don't like the music, the chance to
> meet Alain is well worth it - he's an amazing guy.

Of what little ive heard of Red Lightening, they are good. Alain has always appeared a very down to earth bloke, I must say. And quite under-rated too.

What did he say about the new Moz album/tour then?

> Of what little ive heard of Red Lightening, they are good. Alain has
> always appeared a very down to earth bloke, I must say. And quite
> under-rated too.

> What did he say about the new Moz album/tour then?

he said he wrote about 6 of the songs on the album and that it was f-ing amazing.

he also mentioned he'd like to tour with moz to support the album, but hasn't been asked to. i guess Moz would have to get rid of his replacement - Tobias.

i sure hope he asks Alain.

> he said he wrote about 6 of the songs on the album and that it was f-ing
> amazing.

i too would have that same reaction if i got to record an album in rome and had ennio morricone doing a bit of work on it. the end result could be a pile of pooh and i'd still think it was amazing.

so, he got to do 6 songs out of 12, so i wonder if that means boz and jesse split up the rest or what.

> he also mentioned he'd like to tour with moz to support the album, but
> hasn't been asked to. i guess Moz would have to get rid of his replacement
> - Tobias.

either morrissey hasn't started planning the tour yet, or alain knows for sure that they're practicing without him.

> i sure hope he asks Alain.

> he said he wrote about 6 of the songs on the album and that it was f-ing
> amazing.

> he also mentioned he'd like to tour with moz to support the album, but
> hasn't been asked to. i guess Moz would have to get rid of his replacement
> - Tobias.

> i sure hope he asks Alain.

Tobias, *shudders*

I will surely have gone...if I lived in the United States!
Someone who meet them, Please tell him there is the girl who live in distant country loves Red Lightining and loves your songs. I will get their coming soon album in some wise.

Live recordings

Would it be too much to hope that someone recorded some of the songs during this tour? Would've loved to see them, but couldn't make it out.

Back
Top Bottom