Eighth Track - A-Bomb

mcrickson

Reckless Endangerment
Was thinking over this lyric in "Bobby," and I wondered what pulling together the eighth track of every solo studio album would sound like as a playlist. Needless to say it'd be a weird compilation. But maybe someone would like it.

1. Break Up The Family
2. The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye
3. Seasick Yet Still Docked
4. Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning
5. Southpaw
6. Roy's Keen
7. First of the Gang to Die
8. I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now
9. One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
10. Kiss Me A Lot
11. The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel
12. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets

Was thinking over this lyric in "Bobby," and I wondered what pulling together the eighth track of every solo studio album would sound like as a playlist. Needless to say it'd be a weird compilation. But maybe someone would like it.

1. Break Up The Family
5. Southpaw
6. Roy's Keen
10. Kiss Me A Lot

Interesting thought process...but these are good selections, not one bad track there at all, except maybe the last one (debatable) as it's on CS I think, which I've paid very little attention to.
You could repeat this starting from 1 thru to 12 (missing out 8 as you've done it), & see how the track compilations map out.
Interesting.

I had the same thought when I first heard that lyric and checked every 8th track on every Morrissey and Smiths album. But I have learned since then that it's another drug reference. (Apparently an "eigtth" is a measure for marijuana.)

1. Break Up The Family
5. Southpaw
6. Roy's Keen
10. Kiss Me A Lot

Best set list ever.

1. Break Up The Family
5. Southpaw
6. Roy's Keen
10. Kiss Me A Lot
would make a good album.

Greightest Hits, or Gr8est Hits. It's a Winner, I'd buy it, but then I do buy everything.

I've just been playing around with this idea, although I want to get it into a spreadsheet to make it easier to select tracks.

The great thing about this approach, is that it forces you to include much loved, but less obvious selections, e.g. Billy Bud as a #3 track & Papa Jack as a #5 track, if you stick to the 'rules'.

Issues arise though when there are differing versions of a certain album, e.g. original version, legacy, deluxe, or remastered versions, where the track structures differ, &/or where albums have more tracks than others. For example, WPINOYB deluxe has 18 tracks vs Southpaw legacy which has 12 tracks.

Nothing's ever straight fwd is it in the land of Moz.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've thrown Bona Drag (both versions) into the spreadsheet as well as Swords (to get some B-sides in), also MEBY, Maladjusted Re-Issue, SG (Legacy) & Suedehead...some interesting track mixes come out of it all.

Back
Top Bottom