Elvis / Morrissey appreciation thread by Eric & TTC

Yet more catchy tunes following the two previous posts of catchy ones of which included 'Good Luck Charm' and 'Panic' in the mix. There are many of these all around, to be sure. Too many. Here, yes, many will say, "What about 'Rusholme Ruffians'?" I think the following selections in the order that they are played (from the top down) will pay off with that ironic 'introductory twist' intended to lead into the next selection. Again, I alternate one with the other as I do with every selection when the two artists are paired together. Elvis is willing to delegate his authority this one time and one time only as the 'king' of rock 'n roll is more than gracious enough to let it go for this selection and this selection alone. After all, there is only one 'king' of rock 'n roll and he has spoken graciously. :) In fact, you can substitute 'Don't Be Cruel' by Elvis in the last selection if one so desires. I think it also follows the Morrissey selection just as nicely with good results just the same.

Introduction...

Morrissey

Elvis

-- Eric

Still these two from two great albums:

Elvis

The Smiths

-- Eric
By the way, I think it is interesting that 'Good Luck Charm' could also be an excellent 'square dancing' song just as well and ahead of its time in that regard.

-- Eric

I'm going to throw a curve ball at you. Here are three female singers off hand:

By the way, I don't necessarily agree. Yes, it is a Morrissey fan site and not a Christian forum...but it sure is a whole lot of other things, too, the least of it being Morrissey related topics, do you not agree? Like this so-coined Elvis topic we, ourselves, presently discuss as an example...at the minimum? By the way, regarding many of the problems Elvis dealt with...most certainly Priscilla Presley's association with the Church of Scientology needs to be thrown in the mix. Priscilla's timing when she had joined the 'church' is most peculiar. So, it is stated in 2017, that she quit the 'church.' Honestly, I could not see Priscilla Presley 'quitting' this cult willy-nilly without any ramifications. Consider Leah Remini. Other present members, of course, include Tom Cruise (is it not interesting -- Elvis dashboard bobblehead dolls?), John Travolta and Kelly Preston, Kirstie Alley, So, "Hmm," is all I can say. How money really moves around the Church of Scientology is something I recommend you research. You will be surprised what you find out. I think of this often when I consider post-Elvis royalties, if you know what I mean. You kind of slipped there by the way when you said "...Vegan Cro Spirit" they...," heh-heh. I wasn't born yesterday, of course, haha. So, hmm. I do wonder about a lot of things. Well, I got to go now. I think you will find these selections surprising at the top of my head. Siouxsie Sioux is one of those singers whose vocal range is practically unlimited. Very talented singer. Here, you hear her singing relaxed and without any effort yet the result is still powerful. You easily hear her talent. It doesn't take much for Siouxsie. Hey, you take care now.

-- Eric
By the way, Tom Tom Club, the previous song, "Me Has Olvidado" is translated "You Have Forgotten Me." The singer is Denise Gutierrez of the group, Hello Seahorse! Yes, this is the name of the band. This is her below in a unique concert performance with the Mexican 'cumbia style' band, Los Angeles Azules. The song is roughly translated, "The Ribbon of Your Hair:"

An other singer at the top of my head is Ann Wilson of Heart. Like Siouxsie, her vocal talent is practically unlimited but unique as her own in the way Siouxsie is unique in hers. Of course, you don't have to view the entire video (and can fast forward/skip much of it) but you get the idea.

Again, these are female singers with unique vocal talent that draw my attention. I do not necessarily listen to these artists much as there are other groups I listen to far more often. But, then again, I do not listen to music in general all that much anymore. Like I said in a previous post, most of this (i.e., what I write) is spoken in the past tense. But still, there are many greats with great vocal talent, both male and female, that I will listen to from time to time. In any case, I hope you find this all interesting. I think this is about it. I really can't stay here much longer and I really don't plan on doing so much longer either. But I do hope you enjoyed the Elvis-Morrissey information regarding many of the similarities between them, in the short time I've posted them, that make the two comparable in many ways. I've always found it interesting in the past when I began to observe many of the similarities between the the two back then. That 'persona' of Morrissey was a big draw initially and more the case it turns out. But still comparable nevertheless. I hope you enjoyed the You Tube music and video links of the two. I may post a few more as I listen to a few more songs in between as well. But, otherwise, I think I may be done here.

By the way, here is a little something for you: Do you recall the 2013 Tom Cruise science fiction film, "Oblivion"? If you have seen the film, there is a scene in the film where Tom Cruise is carrying an Elvis bobblehead doll on the dashboard of his bubble ship. This is where it gets interesting. Of course, he calls the bobblehead 'Bob' (as the name 'Bob' is obviously seen on the bobblehead and not Elvis). Of course, one can assume that 'Bob' is short for 'bobblehead.' But 'Bob' is also the name of Pastor Bob Joyce coincidently. Heh-heh. Does he know something we don't? Take your pick on this one, Tom Tom Club. Haha. Hmm. Conspiracy, Conspiracy! Church of Scientology connection or not, it is very interesting nonetheless. What do you say? How is this for interesting? Interesting indeed. Well, I best be going now. Hey, you take care of yourself and God bless you. Just remember who you are and where you stand. One day, we may find out the hard way how 'narrow is the way' indeed as persecution increases. (Matthew 7:13-14). The struggle between the flesh and the spirit the apostle Paul speaks of is indeed difficult. We, as believers, often wonder why it is that one always wins out over the other. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Well, the answer is an easy one: The one we feed the most. I remind myself of this truth all the time. As believers, we know which one needs to be fed. ;) It is a no brainer. You take care now and the Lord bless and keep you. God bless now.

Yours Truly in Christ, Eric

You hear the bell at the end of the Morrissey selection and shortly thereafter in the beginning of the Elvis selection very briefly after the piano. You may not hear it as well here in the You Tube link however.

Morrissey

Elvis

-- Eric

On a humorous note, I have to admit...this particular Smiths selection drew me laughs back when my Dad sang it, humorously, as it was how he heard it and I don't blame him. That is, given the history of melancholy often associated with The Smiths and Morrissey, of course. He had substituted the word "Old" with "Out." It takes on a whole new meaning and certainly sounds like it, heh-heh. Yes, sing it: "Back To The Out House." Haha. There may be a laughing version for Elvis on this selection too possibly. Either way, both of these songs are pretty low in the morale category and, yes, I thought even Morrissey could uplift Elvis on this one but not likely.

Elvis

The Smiths

-- Eric

Somewhat 'alternate' takes of the familiar originals as both are live versions of two great and true classics by both.

Elvis

Morrissey

-- Eric

A little different in departure and diversion.

Elvis

Morrissey

-- Eric

Back
Top Bottom