"England Is Mine" reviews (Hollywood Reporter, The List, Scotsman, HeraldScotland + more)

'England Is Mine': Film Review | Edinburgh 2017 - The Hollywood Reporter
By Neil Young

EIFF 2017: This unauthorised Morrissey biopic has its moments but will frustrate fans - The List
by Emma Simonds (2 of 5 stars)

Edinburgh International Film Festival review: England is Mine - The Scotsman
By Alistair Harkness (3 stars)

Alison Rowat Edinburgh International Film Festival review: England is Mine - HeraldScotland
by Alison Rowat (3 stars)

UPDATE:

England Is Mine: Film Review - The Skinny. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Rachel Bowles (3 stars)

England Is Mine(2017) - The Fan Carpet. Link posted by an anonymous person
by Jen Scouler (4 of 5 stars)

England Is Mine': Edinburgh Review - Screendaily. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Wendy Ide

England Is Mine: Reviewing ‘Mr Hard To Get’ - Julie Hamill. Link posted by Famous when dead.

EIFF 2017: England is Mine Review - SeenSome. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Adam Mulgrew (4 of 5 stars)

Movie review: An angsty insight into the birth of Morrissey myth in England Is Mine - The National. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Ross Miller

Edinburgh 2017: England Is Mine review - Cinevue. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Jamie Leish (3 of 5 stars)

REVIEW: ENGLAND IS MINE - Geek Ireland. Link posted by an anonymous person.
by Tracy Sayers ( 4.5 of 5 stars)

England is Mine - entertainment.ie. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Gavin Burke (4 of 5 stars)

Movie Review: England is Mine - Comic Crusaders. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Garth Cremona (3 1/2 of 5 stars)

#Review: England Is Mine - Scannain. Link posted by an anonymous person.
by Garth (4.0 of 5)

Reviewed: Morrissey biopic, England Is Mine: William, it was almost something - Uncut. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Michael Bonner

--
Links posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer:

Review from the September 2017 issue of Mojo - there isn't a link so the review is below (there is also a nice interview with Jack Lowden in the issue):

Young Winsome: Can a Morrissey biopic make us fall in love with Steven Patrick all over again? Well, I wonder
by Andrew Male (4 of 4 stars)

England is Mine - The Independent Ireland
by Hilary A. White (4 of 4 stars)

England is Mine - The Guardian
by Peter Bradshaw (3 of 5 stars)

Film Reviews Roundup - England is Mine - The Independent
by Geoffrey Macnab (3 of 5 stars)

England is Mine - Little White Lies
by Bojana Duric

England is Mine Review - Hey U Guys
by Linda Marric (3 of 5 stars)

At last! Morrissey goes down in celluloid history - RTE
by Alan Corr (4 of 5)
--
England Is Mine review: dull Morrissey biopic is like being crushed in a vice of angst - The Telegraph. Link posted by Famous when dead
by Tim Robey (2 of 5 stars)

England Is Mine reviewed by Robbie Collin - BBC 5 Live / YouTube. Link posted by an anonymous person.

The New Morrissey Biopic Returns to a Time Before He Was Problematic - VICE. Link posted by Calamine Lotion.
by Phoebe Hurst

England Is Mine review: This much-hyped Morrissey biopic doesn’t do the great man justice - Metro
by James Luxford (2 of 5 stars)

England is Mine: Lifeless - Financial Times. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Nigel Andrews (2 out of 5 stars)

England Is Mine': The Morrissey Biopic That Might Make You Give Him A Second Chance - Esquire. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Olivia Ovenden

Morrissey biopic England Is Mine – a quiet portrait of a star’s growing pains - The Big Issue. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Edward Lawrenson

England Is Mine review – a Morrissey mope-fest - The Guardian. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Wendy Ide

Film Review: The Morrissey Biopic ‘England Is Mine’ - Variety. Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer.
by Owen Gleiberman

Film Review: England Is Mine - Trust The Wizards. Link posted by Rebel Rikkit

England Is Mine review - Slant Magazine. Link posted by an anonymous person.
by Derek Smith (1 1/2 of 4 stars)

Last edited:
It seems strange to expect Smiths songs to feature in the film when they've not yet been written...

Exactly my thoughts, I can't see what the problem is with that. Actually it would have been really weird if any Smiths music could be heard at all considering those songs didn't even exist at the time.

THIS FILM MUST BE STOPPED !!!! :mad:

though,can't wait to see it.

By asking kind permission to the owner(s) of the rights and in return give "something" back?
Couldn't the movie profit from it too and have a bigger promotion?
I mean it didn't need to be completely authorised by Moz but they should not be surprised he will respond to it very criticality now.
What do you think marred?
Just interested in your opinion.
Cheers

the Legacy of the Smiths lays in Shambles. Morrissey and Marr produced and made the songs, along with Andy and Mike. If one song
of the Smiths would be in, you get the whole Court case/Royalties back.

I'm 100% sure, all the Smiths members were aware of making this film, and the producers would loved to enter the the first year of The Smiths in it,...Joe Moss, Geoff Travis, Rough Trade signing, too many to mention.

I'm glad we have this, sir Quando, and I dearly hope it will be aired in our country too, even if it's a film festival.

have a great start of the week

No but if I'm being morbid perhaps ninety more years. I'm just saying I don't think morrissey or marr owns the songs or gets a say in what they're used for

I went along on Sunday night, and was pleasantly surprised. I think everyone is afraid of their hero being shown in a negative light, or even in a badly made film, but this was neither. Those of us who grew up in that time and place are fully aware of the poverty of living standards in which the film was set, and it rang true. We are aware of the lack of opportunity that was available to us, and again, what we are shown is authentic. Manchester was f***ing grim in the seventies, violence was around every corner, people were mean, the film portrays that, without making a point of it.
Morrissey is portrayed as a shy, frustrated young man, wrestling with the perception, commonly held at the time, that the right thing to do was to get a job, any job, work hard, and 'get on'. The development of any particular talent was rarely even considered, and the more humble your background, the greater the pressure to stop f***ing around, pull yourself together, and 'get on'. In retrospect, the fact that the lad didn't cave in to that mindset is all the more remarkable.
If you want to see a film of the budding genius being lauded by Mancunian luminaries as he takes in the Manchester music scene, this is not the film for you. If you are interested in the formative years of an important artist, and the crippling disappointments and banal life from which he sprang, you are in for a pleasant surprise.

eberts statue is only there for the duration of the festival which is a few weeks,nice try though.

eberts statue is only there for the duration of the festival which is a few weeks,nice try though.

yes true. At the end of 4 weeks the statue will be taken down, melted and returned to the earth from where it came, that's if the earth still recognizes it as it's own, but I have my doubts.

By asking kind permission to the owner(s) of the rights and in return give "something" back?
Couldn't the movie profit from it too and have a bigger promotion?
I mean it didn't need to be completely authorised by Moz but they should not be surprised he will respond to it very criticality now.
What do you think marred?
Just interested in your opinion.
Cheers
No record company in this world is going to let a film use it's content for free, especially in this climate. Smiths music has no place in this film anyway so it's a moot point. I can't say I'm desperate to see the film but I am curious.

bit strange the first two reviews above both used the phrase ANGSTY YOUNG MAN,do these people read other reviews and steal a line that jumps out at them.not a phrase iv heard before.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I freshly liked it. It&#39;s about norma Jean not Marilyn. Absorbant Morrissey. Morrissey in the waiting room I thought.</p>&mdash; mark cousins (@markcousinsfilm) <a href="">July 2, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TOP5EIFF?src=hash">#TOP5EIFF</a> <br>1. Last Men in Aleppo<br>2. Final Portrait<br>3. A Quiet Heart<br>4. Snow Woman/Amazona<br>5. I Dream in Another Language/England is Mine</p>&mdash; mark cousins (@markcousinsfilm) <a href="">July 3, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I can't be bothered with more useless reviews - which I'm not reading - of Norma Jean .
I want to know what is Morrissey doing in Hawick .

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom