England Is Mine: the making of Morrissey, or a portrait of the artist as a young wimp? -Tracey Thorn

England Is Mine: the making of Morrissey, or a portrait of the artist as a young wimp? - New Statesman
By Tracey Thorn.
(of Everything But The Girl fame).

Excerpt:

"It is with some trepidation that I write about the new Morrissey biopic, England Is Mine, knowing that it’s not hard to say the wrong thing about Morrissey and fall foul either of his lawyers or his legions of still-adoring fans. Journalists have come a cropper and even I, after a throwaway remark* made donkey’s years ago, found myself added to the list of scores that had to be settled in his recent Autobiography, a book that reminded me of nothing so much as Father Ted’s Golden Cleric acceptance speech: “And now we move on to liars…”

Regards,
FWD.

* = Tracey is referring to:
"I am criticized by singer Tracey Thorn for ‘singing about people in wheelchairs’, and John Peel opens his radio show by playing the song in full, and once it dies away he breaks the silence with: ‘Well, what do you think of that, then?’ as if a roasting on an open fire is all that will cure me." - from Autobiography.

Last edited by a moderator:
If she writes "with some trepidation" she shouldn't wrîte at all. Write bravely or nothing, just as Morrissey does. That's why he has a "legion of still-adoring fans".

Tracy's just a MtF London luciferian with an axe to grind. These wicked "indie" deceivers always turn on each other, sooner or later.

If she writes "with some trepidation" she shouldn't wrîte at all. Write bravely or nothing, just as Morrissey does. That's why he has a "legion of still-adoring fans".
I don't find "kiss me a lot, kiss me all over my face" particularly brave. Even if he's a closet germaphobe with deep rooted intimacy issues. Maybe he'll brave up again on the next one.

I have a feeling that a lot of you getting upset didn't actually read the review. It's more than fair and it's well written. And I'm sure that Moz would agree with most of it.

I have a feeling that a lot of you getting upset didn't actually read the review. It's more than fair and it's well written. And I'm sure that Moz would agree with most of it.

What proportion of two people would be "a lot"?

"It is with some trepidation that I write about the new Morrissey biopic, England Is Mine, knowing that it’s not hard to say the wrong thing about Morrissey and fall foul either of his lawyers or his legions of still-adoring fans. Journalists have come a cropper and even I, after a throwaway remark* made donkey’s years ago, found myself added to the list of scores that had to be settled in his recent Autobiography, a book that reminded me of nothing so much as Father Ted’s Golden Cleric acceptance speech: “And now we move on to liars…”

:sleeping:

I don't find "kiss me a lot, kiss me all over my face" particularly brave. Even if he's a closet germaphobe with deep rooted intimacy issues. Maybe he'll brave up again on the next one.

As long as it results in a catchy, uplifting love song like Kiss Me A Lot is, I don't mind what it is about. I am not sure what kind of bravery you want to hear or see from Moz.

I can see why anybody is critical about the lines you quoted, but I just really very much like and appreciate the first lines of the song.
The "Bastille, mausoleum, stock yard, churchyard, your mammy's backyard" lines.

Doesn't that expresses very well the passion, the love you can feel for another person?
And isn't he a master at giving that million times explored cliche of the lovesomg his own heartfelt expression?
I'd say, yes he does.
And the bravery will be there in other songs.
Cheerio g23! :thumb:

Love Tracey Thorn, I recommend her book Bedsit disco queen its a fantastic account of her life especially the 80 s, Jonny played harmonica on their fabulous Native land single and in 84 Morrissey went to see them play at Hull uni and referred to them, Tracey and Ben as kittens. She comes right out and says Morrissey was a gay man back then but does not give any reasons but why would she ? he just is.

I think you're right. The review is pretty fair and doesn't disrespect Moz. It seems fairly balanced. Like I've said before: I'll wait for the film to be on TV. I'd say it'll be televised in the not too distant future.

As long as it results in a catchy, uplifting love song like Kiss Me A Lot is, I don't mind what it is about. I am not sure what kind of bravery you want to hear or see from Moz.

Chlamydia is catchy too. I wouldn't enjoy that either!

As far as lyrical bravery- I could do without songs referencing "the one I (you, we, they) love" for a change. Make me feel something! Other than curious as to whether he's just on autopilot. Give us something to chew on!

Chlamydia is catchy too. I wouldn't enjoy that either!

As far as lyrical bravery- I could do without songs referencing "the one I (you, we, they) love" for a change. Make me feel something! Other than curious as to whether he's just on autopilot. Give us something to chew on!

Did it occur to you, you might have a bit too high expectations, due to some of his songs that gave you that feel before?

And which songs made you chew on them and appreciate them because of it?

As for me, I appreciate some of the popsongs Moz created and tried to explain it by describing them as "catchy".
I do realize it is only one side of his songs and there are interesting other sides too which I also appreciate.

Especially, the ones that as you could say might "grow" on you as happened a lot with his songs, to me, anyway.

I reckon I'm going with portrait of the artist as a young wimp. What a piece of shiteeee "film". I'm waiting for lil' Sammy to write a proper movie showing his real teen age years at the Grand Canyon and Disneyland during one of his many trips to America during his "working class factory" upbringing. I reckon lil' Sammy can call it "Steve's Endless Summer" it will showcase him riding his jet ski around Malibu and at Dodger games with Snoopy Dog and David Beckham.

Did it occur to you, you might have a bit too high expectations, due to some of his songs that gave you that feel before?

And which songs made you chew on them and appreciate them because of it?

As for me, I appreciate some of the popsongs Moz created and tried to explain it by describing them as "catchy".
I do realize it is only one side of his songs and there are interesting other sides too which I also appreciate.

Especially, the ones that as you could say might "grow" on you as happened a lot with his songs, to me, anyway.
I've wondered if my expectations are too high. But why shouldn't they be?
I know the first time I heard Alsatian Cousin (Which was the first M song I'd heard) I was floored by the language and phrasing. I remember losing my breath at the end of Speedway.

Not denying I hum along to the pop songs though. They are catchy. In a good way, most of the time.

I've wondered if my expectations are too high. But why shouldn't they be?
I know the first time I heard Alsatian Cousin (Which was the first M song I'd heard) I was floored by the language and phrasing. I remember losing my breath at the end of Speedway.

Not denying I hum along to the pop songs though. They are catchy. In a good way, most of the time.

Of course nobody can influence your expectations, gladly so, they are yours and I only meant it in the way you realize you could feel a bit disappointed as the expectations compared to the music didn't match. But that is always in hindsight.

I am a fan of WPINOYB and it creates some expectations for me.
Could be I feel slightly disappointed with a new album but my experience is that the average quality of his albums is quite high.

Even on his albums that I consider to be lesser than average (Moz standard wise) like Kill Uncle and Maladjusted there are still some gems on it.
:thumb:

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom