Fake promo poster

I recently bought a promo poster for Bigmouth Strikes again and believe it to be fake. The seller is totally reliable; however, at the very bottom there is an extended blue line as if there were an ink run on the print and it looks lighter than some.

Anybody have a 12 x 24 Bigmouth promo poster that could either post a photo or else tell me how sharp the image is supposed to truly look?

Last edited:
I don't have my camera. This is the best I can do with a phone:

big1s.jpg

big3q.jpg

big2a.jpg

I was always disapointed by the picture quality on this poster - too washed out.
I think my poster is on Vulgar Picture (unless Flax has changed it since he bought one?) but it has been touched up with photoshop so it is hard to tell.
There are photos / scans of one on the Manchester District Music Archive http://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/archive/showartefact.php?aid=2928&bid=882
400-2928.jpg

And on http://www.rock-explosion.com/images/bigmouth.jpg
bigmouth.jpg

So you begin to get an idea of how different they can look

Dave

It's hard to tell but it looks faded and more pink than purple (similar to the one Dave posted from MDMA), which you can see in these photos. My key concern is the very prominent purple ink line at the bottom of the poster.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
It's hard to tell but it looks faded and more pink than purple (similar to the one Dave posted from MDMA), which you can see in these photos. My key concern is the very prominent purple ink line at the bottom of the poster. The paper too seems thinner and more pixelated.

From your photos, it looks legit to me. The correct hue is nearly impossible to capture with a digital camera, so none of the photos you see online will ever match the color of what you see on the paper in front of you. My poster

But you shouldn't see pixels. Are these small scattered dots or actual pixels? If you could scan with high quality a small area that seems pixelated, it would be easier for us to see what's going on.

I don't know the seller, but there's nothing that indicates this might be a fake. I'd go for it.

These adverts smell slightly of Mike Heaton and Morrissey Madness (under a different guise). Not sure about the "cancer" reference, however...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That is Mike from Morrissey Madness - I've had him as a saved seller for ages - but he hasn't listed anything for months. Always been happy with the stuff he has sold me, if it is less than mint he is honest about it. But, £500???

Dave

I just bought some posters from Mike (under the guise of adeb8ter, as per Sidwell4's post above). They're fine, I think, but why the nonsense about his wife having cancer etc., a pretence he continued to maintain through the course of his correspondence with me? It just arouses suspicion doesn't it?

Re:

I just bought some posters from Mike (under the guise of adeb8ter, as per Sidwell4's post above). They're fine, I think, but why the nonsense about his wife having cancer etc., a pretence he continued to maintain through the course of his correspondence with me? It just arouses suspicion doesn't it?

Have you read this thread?

Re:

I did thanks Kewpie, subsequent to my post. I also exchanged correspondence with one of the other posters. I think the sensible conclusion is that posters seem to be ok (mine are fine) and autographs you take with a pinch of salt. The smoke and mirrors (different ebay usernames, tall stories and the like) are suspicious (and perhaps unsavoury). And the fact the items are overpriced is irrelevant: something is worth what somebody's prepared to pay for it.

Thanks for the post.

Re:

I just went to hang up my Bigmouth poster and noticed it is actually smaller than the standard size by 1/2 an inch ( by standard I mean, say, How Soon Is Now? Shoplifters, etc). Can anyone verify this is normal or is this definitively a fake?

Re:

I was framing / replacing some of my posters last week and also noticed that Bigmouth was smaller than some of the others - shorter and narrower I think - I didn't frame it in the end, waiting to buy some coloured backing paper for it.

It's worth noting that many of the posters vary slightly from the expected 12 x 24 - often a few mm longer - to be honest I've damaged the edges to fit them into frames, figuring I'll guillotine them later.

Some will be 12 x 23 (ish) as the Cartel logo may have been guillotined off for overseas markets.

Dave

Re:

Thanks Dave!

Good to know. The ebay listers often just slap the 12x24 sizing for the majority of the posters, so I'd not seen it written anywhere that Bigmouth was in fact a slightly different size.

Tags
fake promo posters smiths
Back
Top Bottom