Favourite other bands

Only R.E.M. and The Monkees are on a par with Morrissey in my book as far as emotional, to-my-dying-day importance. But all of those artists are completely different from each other. It's like saying "if you could lose your arms, or your legs, or your eyes, what would you pick?" I couldn't imagine any of them missing from my life.

As far as repeat offenders go, I have massive love for Luke Haines, Aimee Mann, Michael Penn, Suede, The National, The Fall, Red House Painters, XTC, The Beatles, The Gaslight Anthem, Blur, early Radiohead, Springsteen, The Jam...

I went to a church bric and brack sale as a kid and found a 60's Monkee's annual with a signed photo from the band, dedicated to a fan.

Nice to see a fellow Scott Walker fan around these parts.
Scott was an indisputable GENIUS. I adore him in every sense of the word. I am especially fond of his absolutely fearless and mind blowing stuff from Climate of Hunter and onwards, but I love most everything he did. God rest his soul.

Scott aside, the GS favorites are:
Bruce
Joy Division
Elvis
Frank S
The Cure
Jason Molina
Conor Oberst
Nick Cave
Iggy
Rome

To name but a few, that you might recognize.

Bruce
Joy Division
Elvis
Frank S
The Cure
Jason Molina
Conor Oberst
Nick Cave
Iggy
Rome

Always good to see Nick Cave on anyones favourites list👍. And re Elvis, both are good but is that Presley or Costello?

Always good to see Nick Cave on anyones favourites list👍. And re Elvis, both are good but is that Presley or Costello?
Presley! He’s my priest, my antidepressant, the warm blanket I wrap my soul in.

Neither, it's Elvis Prestwick the Scottish tribute act, named after the airport when he landed in the UK for ten minutes.

Presley is great, I’ve got quite a bit of his stuff. I particularly like his 70s recordings.👍
That makes me happy! His 70s stuff is criminally underrated.

Bruce
Joy Division
Elvis
Frank S
The Cure
Jason Molina
Conor Oberst
Nick Cave
Iggy
Rome

The new bright eyes stuff was pretty good imo. He’s been on an upswing ever since that girl falsely accused him

The new bright eyes stuff was pretty good imo. He’s been on an upswing ever since that girl falsely accused him
I think you’re right. Ruminations was fantastic, as well.

I’ve got a 3cd collection, Elvis: Artist of the century, each CD is a decade of his career - the 70s CD is just brilliant.
He made some heart wrenching stuff during the 70s. If you haven’t already, you should check out his studio albums from that era.

He made some heart wrenching stuff during the 70s. If you haven’t already, you should check out his studio albums from that era.
I do have a couple of them, for me it was when he made his 'real' music & had grown up a bit.

It's always a wonder what he could have produced in the 80's & 90's if he'd lived, but at the same time, you just can't imagine it. He could have been an even bigger great, or ended up a sad old man. Which is what he was becoming.

He was like the Gazza of music in a way, a true great with too many hangers on who never had his best interests at heart. :mad:

I do have a couple of them, for me it was when he made his 'real' music & had grown up a bit.

It's always a wonder what he could have produced in the 80's & 90's if he'd lived, but at the same time, you just can't imagine it. He could have been an even bigger great, or ended up a sad old man. Which is what he was becoming.

He was like the Gazza of music in a way, a true great with too many hangers on who never had his best interests at heart. :mad:
We all become sad and old, I guess. However, it’s important to remember that his voice was never anything but formidable and his music, albeit not very rock n roll or innovative, was always soulful and honest. But yeah, he really was weighted down by all the hangers on and yes-men and his own self destructive behavior.

Back
Top Bottom