Votes: 12 40.0%
  • The Kid's A Looker

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • none of them

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Scandinavia.

Action is my Middle Name

I'd have to say "Scandinavia" too - although I do have a fondess for the somewhat daft anthemics of "Action Is My Middle-Name".

"Art-Hounds" is probably my favourite of the recently debuted tracks, but "The Kid's A Looker" strikes me as perfectly amusing b-side fodder; I like the Joe Meekness of the arrangement.

"People Are The Same Everywhere" somehow manages to midly amuse me and leave me cold at the same time. His vocal on the song is great though and I'd happily have it appear as the flip-side to any future single. If there ever is one.

I liked "Action is My Middle Name" the best.

I don't think "People are the Same..." is a very well-written song at all,lyrically speaking, but for some reason, it kinda makes me smile when I hear it.
Morrissey always seems so joyful while singing it. (Remember those head-bobs he did on "Conan"?)

I wonder if Jesse was influenced by The Cars when writing the music? I think I read somewhere that they were/are one of his favorite bands. It sounds so early 1980's to me, but that could just be the video-game sound effects in it.

Last edited:
I loved to watch and listen Scandinavia with a high quality sound & vision.
To be honest, my preference goes to Action and People but I do believe that now we have Scandinavia with studio quality.
Now it is only missing Art-hounds - which I really really love.

I would have had Scandanavia as my favourite, because live it is played with a lot more vigour and passion, but in the studio it felt a little more subdued. Action is My Middle name however, is played much better here and sounds great. The Kid's a Looker is lyrically quite good and funny, particularly in the face of the contempory pop stars but People Are The Same Everywhere is just one big flop. It's an enjoyable, happy song but it is basically three lines repeated over and over and the lines aren't as good as those in the other songs.

1) Action Is My Middle Name
2) Scandanavia
3) The Kid's A Looker
4) People Are The Same Everywhere

I used to like more Action is my middle name, but in this session:

The Kid's a looker
Scandinavia
People are the same
Action is my middle

.....from the 7 songs played last year and this year that hadn't been played in previous years, my order goes:-

1. People Are The Same Everywhere
2. The Kid's A Looker
3. Action Is My Middle Name
4. Scandinavia
5. Satellite Of Love
6. To Give (The Reason I Live)
7. Art-Hounds

I liked "Action is My Middle Name" the best.

I don't think "People are the Same..." is a very well written song, lyrically, but it kinda makes me smile. Morrissey always seems so joyful while singing it. (Remember those head-bobs he did on "Conan"?) I wonder if Jesse was influenced by The Cars when writing the music? I think I read somewhere that was/is one of his favorite bands. It sounds so early 1980's to me, but that could just be the video-game sound effects in it.

I think it's reminiscent of something he said in the first Janice Long session back in 2002:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHft7OO44o8
(min 2:20)

About how "people are mad everywhere". I guess it turned into a song.
I think had he sang "People Are Insane Everywhere", it'd carry more of a punch.

It's an observation only one who traveled or lived around the world can make. We all think people are more civilized, nice, etc. in another country, but it's not true.

I like how refers to himself as the "biggest mistake of all" and his coming of age realization "We're all in a rush, to find a lover's touch, and when it's found, you wonder why it meant so much?" so true. In the same vein of "That's How People Grow Up" - "Yes, there are things worse in life than never being someone's sweetie".
He has become more lyrically direct since 2004.

Scandinavia by a long, long way. "Kid" still makes me want to hack my ears off, and the others are underwhelming.

Scandinavia. Morrissey should run with that musical direction. It's the best way to go musically.

Scandinavia by a long, long way. "Kid" still makes me want to hack my ears off, and the others are underwhelming.

No , I can't let that one go , if only because mentions of ear-hacking make me laugh out loud. I'm biased because "Kid" is my favourite but what, more specifically , don't you like about it ? It doesn't seem that different to , say , "What She Said" musically or , lyrically , "Paint A Vulgar ..." or "I Know It Couldn't ..." ...

Yes , I'm ducking for cover after having compared a Marr track to "Kid" ....

'The Kid's A Looker'. Morrissey writing lyrics about something other than himself again is nice. The last verse is the only thing that needs to be fixed lyrically.

The Janice Long version is superior, though...harder music, faster tempo, less dainty voice.

.....from the 7 songs played last year and this year that hadn't been played in previous years, my order goes:-

1. People Are The Same Everywhere
2. The Kid's A Looker
3. Action Is My Middle Name
4. Scandinavia
5. Satellite Of Love
6. To Give (The Reason I Live)
7. Art-Hounds

To Give is the best out of the 7. His rendition is superb, haunting, and teases musically. One expects an uplift at times, but is instead twisted and caught off guard. It is f***ing brilliant, and superior to Valli's.

To Give is the best out of the 7. His rendition is superb, haunting, and teases musically. One expects an uplift at times, but is instead twisted and caught off guard. It is f***ing brilliant, and superior to Valli's.

yeah I loved it in Edinburgh

I agree. When I learnt that he was singing this a slight chill of dread passed through my calcium deficient bones. I was relieved to hear it live. It was fantastic. And yes, much better than the original.

No , I can't let that one go , if only because mentions of ear-hacking make me laugh out loud. I'm biased because "Kid" is my favourite but what, more specifically , don't you like about it ? It doesn't seem that different to , say , "What She Said" musically or , lyrically , "Paint A Vulgar ..." or "I Know It Couldn't ..." ...

Yes , I'm ducking for cover after having compared a Marr track to "Kid" ....

I think 'Kid' sounds like what I imagine you would get if you took the sheet music for 'Pregnant For The Last Time' and 'You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side', put them in a blender and then tried to reassemble them again.

I think 'Kid' sounds like what I imagine you would get if you took the sheet music for 'Pregnant For The Last Time' and 'You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side', put them in a blender and then tried to reassemble them again.

"Action Is My Middle Name" is "Paris" reworked. The choruses are almost identical.

P.

Back
Top Bottom