Film "Shoplifers of the World" U.S. release in 2021, U.S. Deal With RLJE Films - Variety

Finally this film will be released in 2021.

AMC Networks-owned RLJE Films has swooped for U.S. rights to “Shoplifters of the World.”

Inspired by true events, “Shoplifters of the World” is set over the course of one night in the life of four friends who are reeling from the sudden dissolution of British band The Smiths. The same evening, a local radio station is also hijacked by an armed, impassioned Smiths fan, resulting in a madcap evening that sends up the spirit of the 1980s.

Starring Joe Manganiello (“Magic Mike”) as the radio DJ and Ellar Coltrane (“Boyhood”) as the hijacker, the film also stars Helena Howard (“Madeline’s Madeline”) and Elena Kampouris (“Before I Fall”). “Shoplifters of the World” is written and directed by Stephen Kijak (“We Are X”) and also features 20 tracks from The Smiths.

The U.K.’s WestEnd Films, which is handling international rights, has also sold the film into Japan (Parco), China (Time-in-Portrait Entertainment), the Middle East (Front Row), Portugal (Nos Lusomundo Audiovisuais), Turkey (Fabula) and Taiwan (B-Side Film). WestEnd is overseeing sales for the title at this week’s Toronto International Film Festival.

The U.S. distribution deal was negotiated by Mark Ward and Jess De Leo at RLJE Films and the producers. RLJE Films, which recently distributed the Shia LaBeouf-starring “The Tax Collector,” is planning to release “Shoplifters” early next year.

CAA Media Finance helped to arrange financing on the film.

“With ‘Shoplifters of the World,’ Stephen Kijak brilliantly transports us right back to the 1980s with the amazing look of the film and the unbelievable soundtrack,” said Ward, chief acquisitions officer for RLJE Films. “We are incredibly excited to bring this story and these great performances to U.S. audiences in 2021.”

“Shoplifters of the World” is produced by Untitled Entertainment’s Laura Rister (“The Tale”), 3:59’s Joe and Nick Manganiello (“La Bare”) and Piccadilly Pictures’ Christopher Figg. Also producing are Phil Hoelting, Adam Schoon and Lorianne Hall. Robert Whitehouse, from Piccadilly Pictures, is executive producing.

WestEnd Films’ TIFF slate also includes Pierce Brosnan-starrer “The Last Rifleman,” Frieda Pinto and Constance Wu’s “Mr. Malcolm’s List” and the Ewan McGregor-led “The Cow.”

UPDATE Sep. 15:

Link posted by Nerak:

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how much the decline and fall of Morrissey contributed to the delay of the movie's release?

The legend of the armed Smiths fan hijacking the radio station isn't actually true, is it? I've always loved the story as a display of raging Smiths obsession, but isn't the truth that it never actually happened?

The legend of the armed Smiths fan hijacking the radio station isn't actually true, is it? I've always loved the story as a display of raging Smiths obsession, but isn't the truth that it never actually happened?

As an old Manchester associate of Morrissey once said...

“When you have to choose between the truth and thelegend, choose the legend.”

Morrissey mentions the incident:

"Once, in 1987, a young man in Denver held the local radio station at gunpoint, demanding that they play only Smiths songs. For four hours they complied and the Colorado airwaves were filled with the then-unfamiliar sound of Morrissey, until the police persuaded the gunman to back down. When Morrissey heard what had happened he felt, of course, extreme pleasure.
"But how did you know about it?" he demands.
"I've never come across anybody who knew about it." The fact that the siege has never been properly reported anywhere outrages Morrissey.
"If it was any other artist, it would have been world news. But because it was poor old tatty Smiths it was of no consequence whatsoever."

The updated Westword article that features James Kiss (who is quite real).

Regards,
FWD.

20 songs,anyones guess what they could be.

20 songs,anyones guess what they could be.
You'll Be Gone
I Wish You Lonely
Jim Jim Falls
At Amber
Morning Starship
Lady Willpower
Once I Saw The River Clean
If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me
Munich Air Disaster 1958
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Seasick, Yet Still Docked
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Home Is A Question Mark
Love Is On Its Way Out
Back On The Chain Gang
Never Again Will I Be A Twin
I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
Some Say I Got Devil
Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage
That's How People Grow Up

hopefully its better than that god awful england is mine movie.

You'll Be Gone
I Wish You Lonely
Jim Jim Falls
At Amber
Morning Starship
Lady Willpower
Munich Air Disaster 1958
Home Is A Question Mark
Love Is On Its Way Out
Back On The Chain Gang
Some Say I Got Devil
so you typed all this out in the hope that someone would find it amusing.
would make a good setlist.

You'll Be Gone
I Wish You Lonely
Jim Jim Falls
At Amber
Morning Starship
Lady Willpower
Munich Air Disaster 1958
Home Is A Question Mark
Love Is On Its Way Out
Back On The Chain Gang
Some Say I Got Devil

Hey seasick and changed my plea are great songs! I can tolerate at amber even!

You'll Be Gone
I Wish You Lonely
Jim Jim Falls
At Amber
Morning Starship
Lady Willpower
Munich Air Disaster 1958
Home Is A Question Mark
Love Is On Its Way Out
Back On The Chain Gang
Some Say I Got Devil
They've decided to replace the 20 songs with an extended version of Sweetie Pie, with a runtime of 60 mins. Available on translucent double vinyl with brown shit coloured splatter.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom