Film "Shoplifers of the World" U.S. release in 2021, U.S. Deal With RLJE Films - Variety

Finally this film will be released in 2021.

AMC Networks-owned RLJE Films has swooped for U.S. rights to “Shoplifters of the World.”

Inspired by true events, “Shoplifters of the World” is set over the course of one night in the life of four friends who are reeling from the sudden dissolution of British band The Smiths. The same evening, a local radio station is also hijacked by an armed, impassioned Smiths fan, resulting in a madcap evening that sends up the spirit of the 1980s.

Starring Joe Manganiello (“Magic Mike”) as the radio DJ and Ellar Coltrane (“Boyhood”) as the hijacker, the film also stars Helena Howard (“Madeline’s Madeline”) and Elena Kampouris (“Before I Fall”). “Shoplifters of the World” is written and directed by Stephen Kijak (“We Are X”) and also features 20 tracks from The Smiths.

The U.K.’s WestEnd Films, which is handling international rights, has also sold the film into Japan (Parco), China (Time-in-Portrait Entertainment), the Middle East (Front Row), Portugal (Nos Lusomundo Audiovisuais), Turkey (Fabula) and Taiwan (B-Side Film). WestEnd is overseeing sales for the title at this week’s Toronto International Film Festival.

The U.S. distribution deal was negotiated by Mark Ward and Jess De Leo at RLJE Films and the producers. RLJE Films, which recently distributed the Shia LaBeouf-starring “The Tax Collector,” is planning to release “Shoplifters” early next year.

CAA Media Finance helped to arrange financing on the film.

“With ‘Shoplifters of the World,’ Stephen Kijak brilliantly transports us right back to the 1980s with the amazing look of the film and the unbelievable soundtrack,” said Ward, chief acquisitions officer for RLJE Films. “We are incredibly excited to bring this story and these great performances to U.S. audiences in 2021.”

“Shoplifters of the World” is produced by Untitled Entertainment’s Laura Rister (“The Tale”), 3:59’s Joe and Nick Manganiello (“La Bare”) and Piccadilly Pictures’ Christopher Figg. Also producing are Phil Hoelting, Adam Schoon and Lorianne Hall. Robert Whitehouse, from Piccadilly Pictures, is executive producing.

WestEnd Films’ TIFF slate also includes Pierce Brosnan-starrer “The Last Rifleman,” Frieda Pinto and Constance Wu’s “Mr. Malcolm’s List” and the Ewan McGregor-led “The Cow.”

UPDATE Sep. 15:

Link posted by Nerak:

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
This story of a radio station highjacked by a fan is a myth invented by a journalist.
One has never seen any article of a local paper from the town where it happened, if it happened.
In which town did it take place, which was the name of the radio station ? where are the witnesses ?
That would make a good documentary but this film presented here is a pure fiction

A couple of pictures via writer/director Stephen Kijak

More rubbish. I’ll just sit here and wait for the Liz Dwyer biopic and hope they cast someone who can fill out a bathing suit like Moz’s mom. 😋

''I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic! I try to give that to people. I misrepresent things to them. I don’t tell the truth, I tell what ought to be truth. And if that is sinful, then let me be damned for it!''

Wasn’t this racist when Moz said exactly the same thing??

Wasn’t this racist when Moz said exactly the same thing??

Out of all the "scandals" his comments have caused, that one was probably the most ridiculous one.
The features Morrissey "criticised" have nothing to do with Khan's Pakistani background, they are very common in modern London accents and he was just being a snob for expecting the mayor to speak in a perfect RP accent.

In fact he described the accent quite accurately. Saying that he "can't talk properly" was bollocks of course but he's always made fun of other people's accents (see Johnny Marr in Autobiography etc.).

Out of all the "scandals" his comments have caused, that one was probably the most ridiculous one.
The features Morrissey "criticised" have nothing to do with Khan's Pakistani background, they are very common in modern London accents and he was just being a snob for expecting the mayor to speak in a perfect RP accent.

In fact he described the accent quite accurately. Saying that he "can't talk properly" was bollocks of course but he's always made fun of other people's accents (see Johnny Marr in Autobiography etc.).

If Moz met these hacks in the pub every so often & flattered them with insights into his songwriting process, none of this sh🍷t would have happened. The fleg would be unremarked on, the immigration comment would have drifted past, the Chinese would be besides the point, THE PIN would be unseen.

It's all bollocks.

IMG_20200725_204250.jpg

If Moz met these hacks in the pub every so often & flattered them with insights into his songwriting process, none of this sh🍷t would have happened. The fleg would be unremarked on, the immigration comment would have drifted past, the Chinese would be besides the point, THE PIN would be unseen.

It's all bollocks.

View attachment 59085
Not bad for a first attempt at a flowchart ;)

Yeah people jumped on the 'racist' bandwagon with that one.
Of course it had nothing to do with racism, but more to do with an expectation that people holding such high office should speak in a certain manner, as opposed to, what some might call, estuary English. Moz was just being a bit old fashioned in his thinking, & snobbish I think. He's quite particular & retains some old fashioned values when it comes to the English language...although he has been known to mangle it himself on the odd occasion.

Yeah people jumped on the 'racist' bandwagon with that one.
Of course it had nothing to do with racism, but more to do with an expectation that people holding such high office should speak in a certain manner, as opposed to, what some might call, estuary English. Moz was just being a bit old fashioned in his thinking, & snobbish I think. He's quite particular & retains some old fashioned values when it comes to the English language...although he has been known to mangle it himself on the odd occasion.

I think it was a joke.

It doesn't help him that he mixes indignation with mischief.

Or it would, if it wasn't taken literally.

It's all bollocks.

View attachment 59085

Well, in my opinion, Morrissey himself has produced his fair share of verbal bollocks over the years, starting in the 1980s. And he also can't help himself when it comes to stirring up controversy. I believe that one part of him actually enjoys and needs this outcast position, so my pity is limited. But this topic has been done to death, really.

You're right about the public perception of things of course.

It's all bollocks.

View attachment 59085
Yeah it's all bollocks but under no circumstances would he be trying to 'defend' his rep to some slimey reporters on a regular basis. You bring this idea up frequently and I don't know why you think Morrissey would contemplate this, it's just not him is it?

Yeah it's all bollocks but under no circumstances would he be trying to 'defend' his rep to some slimey reporters on a regular basis. You bring this idea up frequently and I don't know why you think Morrissey would contemplate this, it's just not him is it?

I'm not saying he should do it (although he should do it) I'm saying if he did do it, it wouldn't be happening.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom