Fiona Dodwell: "Clones and conformity: Why cancel culture keeps fans thankful for Morrissey" (January 24, 2021)

Clones and conformity: Why cancel culture keeps fans thankful for Morrissey

"Morrissey has found himself slandered and targeted by mainstream publications who viscously criticise his words without even examining why he said them."

Regards,
FWD.

On a related subject, Kathy's just found out about Gamergate, which is a million years ago.

"Morrissey has found himself slandered and targeted by mainstream publications who viscously criticise his words without even examining why he said them."

Regards,
FWD.

f***ing hell, how many more articles about Morrissey can Dodwell squeeze out? The continued desperation to be noticed and posted on the website is beyond pathetic. Give it a rest love.

Yes. She’s a writer.
In regards to Morrissey? That’s a no, then.
move followed him for over 30 years and only the last year or two she’s surfaced with her rubbish. And that’s what it is, rubbish. Hoping to get noticed. Nothing more.

She likes her “Silent Majority” and “Cancel Culture” slogans. Such favourites of the right wing press.

A living and breathing cliche.
Morrisseys utter wretchedness personified.
She's creating a pussy whipped knucklehead with every word.

Regards,
FWD.

A recent article by Joe Tiresome for Far Out magazine, has to make a boring reference to the fact that Johnny Marr "doesn't have questionable politics like a certain former bandmate of his".
Not much better than Fiona Dodwell in the fawning stakes to be honest.

There's currently a cancel culture debate about a New York Times editor who either got cancelled for saying Biden on a plane gave her chills or for 'more complicated reasons'... but the debate is 'what else do you call it'?

Will got fired for this:

IMG_20210125_174406.png

Helen Lewis has dug out her Atlantic article.

20210125_175830.jpg

20210125_175803.jpg

I like "cancel culture." You can call it twitter mobs or whatever you want to but the only people responsible for actually cancelling anyone's career are the people whose careers have been "cancelled" and most of them are still able to work but they just find their audiences are much smaller.
Bill Cosby still performed up until the time he was convicted up rape. He wasn't getting any big endorsement deals but those morals clauses are a pesky thing.
As far as Morrissey and those who "viscously criticise his words without even examining why he said them," actually I think quite a bit of effort has been put into looking at why "he said" these unspecified words. It's all his fault. He made uninformed statements about things he knew nothing about in some cases - Spacey and Weinstein - and used purposely sensational language designed to get attention in other cases, "subspecies" and his idiotic statement about the deaths of the young people in Norway.
But he hasn't been cancelled. He has simply made a series of statements designed to get attention or create an uproar, and then when he succeeded in doing exactly what he set out to do he has complained about the results.
We who follow his statements more closely might argue that he's not actually a racist but simply a xenophobe but you can't blame people who don't bother to carefully weigh every word and give the benefit of the doubt to his intention every time when he doesn't bother to weigh those words himself.
He's a troll and he has been since the beginning. When it was aimed at other pop stars or people in positions of power like Thatcher or the Queen it was acceptable, but when it's aimed at a nation of people, or the victims of sexual predators it's not.

Saying that a child probably shouldn't be hanging around at a well known predatory homosexual's shindig and asking where the parents were in all this is hardly a shocking statement.

In regards to Morrissey? That’s a no, then.
move followed him for over 30 years and only the last year or two she’s surfaced with her rubbish. And that’s what it is, rubbish. Hoping to get noticed. Nothing more.
I don't get the connection. She happens to be a writer .....who happens to be a fan of Mozza, so she supports him. Ill never understand people here who take the mainstream journalists shitting on Mozza's reputation all the time and say f*** all about that journalists "qualification" to have that opinion, but one person writing supportive stuff about him gets her hated.

I don't get the connection. She happens to be a writer .....who happens to be a fan of Mozza, so she supports him. Ill never understand people here who take the mainstream journalists shitting on Mozza's reputation all the time and say f*** all about that journalists "qualification" to have that opinion, but one person writing supportive stuff about him gets her hated.
As I said. I’ve never heard of her. Her opinion is never balanced and some of what she’s wrote is just rubbish. The underrated albums/tracks for a start. Underrated by whom????

anyway !!

I like her.

I'll be honest with ya Fiona, it really didn't take the
cancel culture to make me thankful for Moz.
Did ya really think Wild T was payin' attention to
all that kind of stuff?

I like Fiona Dodwell.

This time, while reading her article, I kept thinking that what she was communicating – to my understanding at least - was no different from what Morrissey would say himself on the subject, had he the habit of using the channels at his disposal – his website, for instance - for clarifying misinterpretations of his thoughts and feelings, and also to convey his perspective on subjects that are important to him.

I like Fiona Dodwell.

This time, while reading her article, I kept thinking that what she was communicating – to my understanding at least - was no different from what Morrissey would say himself on the subject, had he the habit of using the channels at his disposal – his website, for instance - for clarifying misinterpretations of his thoughts and feelings, and also to convey his perspective on subjects that are important to him.
Yeah, no shit. You’ve just discovered Fiona’s primary purpose, congratulations.

Morrissey isn't 'cancelled' for his views, he's cancelled because he's 61. Quarry (a sales abberation in the first place) went platinum, Ringleader gold, Years of Refusal silver, then oblivion. That's what happens, and to people way bigger than Morrissey.

It's Burns Night!

To shoehorn it into this thread, his song was featured in Jubilee, directed by Derek Jarman, who also directed The Smiths.

And Burns was denounced by the Kirk Sessions, which is like being cancelled by Twitter, but with less Calvinism.

Also he did write a kind poem about animals. Which is the main subject that gets Moz in trouble.

20210125_193003.jpg

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom