Fiona Dodwell: "From Morrissey to Marr: Why THAT Open Letter Was a Long Time Coming" (January 26, 2022)

BrummieBoy

• 'Dodwell writes an article praising Morrissey's Open Letter and how wonderful it is. This piece then gets shared on Central next week.'

'Please , Please, Please Fiona, tell us like it is.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Ring a bell, and there she is

Also - the question everyone considering reading this is as follows: who is Fiona Dodwell, what pedigree does she have, and why should I take any notice of what she's saying?

Well, the answer is you shouldn't. I've read it so you don't have to. It's the same article she's written 37 times, with a few words moved around. That's it.

Last edited:
'Morrissey has not leaned on, nor relied upon, the group’s impressive body of work to propel him forward. He occasionally plays tracks from The Smiths era when on stage,'
Fiona Dodwell

Occasionally?

When was the last time Morrissey played a 'solo' show without inserting songs by The Smiths in the playlist?

What % of 'solo' shows have featured purely solo material?

BB

Ring a bell, and there she is

Just like you. For a non-Moz fan like yourself, it’s always surprising to see you here whenever there’s a favorable Moz article to criticize or an anti-Moz article to praise. Look in the mirror.

Also - the question everyone considering reading this is as follows: who is Fiona Dodwell, what pedigree does she have, and why should I take any notice of what she's saying?

But still, here you are taking notice, she’s got you by the balls! Lol.

Well, the answer is you shouldn't. I've read it so you don't have to.

Lol.

It's the same article she's written 37 times, with a few words moved around. That's it.

Thanks for telling us what we already know without having to have read it.

'Morrissey has not leaned on, nor relied upon, the group’s impressive body of work to propel him forward. He occasionally plays tracks from The Smiths era when on stage,'
Fiona Dodwell

Occasionally?

When was the last time Morrissey played a 'solo' show without inserting songs by The Smiths in the playlist?

BB

I can't think of any Morrissey gig I've been to where he didn't play a Smiths song.

:clap::clap::clap:

FIONA TELLS IT LIKE IT IS AGAIN!(y)
observe how she sticks it to skinny and his trolls how
they all pop up as :cactus: among the readership. the usual
suspects

you cant beat Fiona journalism with haslam/lepew pap
its not possible 😐

once again Fiona wins the day :hammer:

Fiona Dodwell

I would agree with your comment, though she may mean when he was starting out on his first solo tours that he didn’t need to do Smiths songs to propel him forward.

Occasionally?

BB

I can't think of any Morrissey gig I've been to where he didn't play a Smiths song.

You didn’t see him on the Kill Uncle
or Arsenal tours?

Last edited:
or Arsenal tour?
Actually, on which tour did he start doing Smiths songs? It’s all a blur to me, lol.

I would agree with your comment, though she may mean when he was starting out on his first solo tours that he didn’t need to do Smiths songs to propel him forward.

Setlist: Morrissey, Wolverhampton Civic Hall, Wolverhampton, UK, 12/22/1988

1. “Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before”
2. “Disappointed”
3. “Interesting Drug”
4. “Suedehead”
5. “The Last Of The Famous International Playboys”
6. “Sister I’m A Poet”
7. “Death At One’s Elbow”
8. “Sweet And Tender Hooligan”

or Arsenal tours?

Actually, on which tour did he start doing Smiths songs? It’s all a blur to me, lol.

No, I was living/working abroad from 89 to 94. Saw him in 97 in Chester where he did vulgar picture and then shoplifters for the encore.

Setlist: Morrissey, Wolverhampton Civic Hall, Wolverhampton, UK, 12/22/1988

1. “Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before”
2. “Disappointed”
3. “Interesting Drug”
4. “Suedehead”
5. “The Last Of The Famous International Playboys”
6. “Sister I’m A Poet”
7. “Death At One’s Elbow”
8. “Sweet And Tender Hooligan”

Are we really counting that? come on. That was a Smith’s farewell show, of course there’s gonna be Smiths songs. So I wouldn’t count that as him doing Smiths songs to propel his solo years.

No, I was living/working abroad from 89 to 94. Saw him in 97 in Chester where he did vulgar picture and then shoplifters for the encore.

Ah yes it wasn’t until the Boxers tour 95 that he started doing Smiths songs, Shoplifters and London.

:)
the issue is that nobody remembers the unstoppable solo career songs of
:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: s when he does a tiny mini gig. only when he caterwauls the Moz smiths songs
with the out of tune guitar:sleeping:
nobody invites him onstage to do "hi hello' or some other sucy song like "european me'doh:
the least he can do is have the dude from the blossoms come on and sing the vocals so
the mini audience can make out whats going on. :hammer:

Ah yes it wasn’t until the Boxers tour 95 that he started doing Smiths songs, Shoplifters and London.

I think that's right, I went to the Sheffield date on that tour when part of Introducing Morrissey was filmed. Great night but slightly embarrasing when I ended up on the video!

I think that's right, I went to the Sheffield date on that tour when part of Introducing Morrissey was filmed. Great night but slightly embarrasing when I ended up on the video!
I was at the City Hall for that one...up in the gods so not on the video : ). That was the first time I'd seen a Smiths' song performed live...sort of, it was 'Shoplifters' but didn't last long due to the stage invaders. Exciting times! Perhaps slightly odd that he didn't perform Smiths songs on the Kill Uncle tour, but did perform songs by The Jam and NYD...what we would have given for a blast of Hand in Glove, but I don't think the band were up to it.

I was at the City Hall for that one...up in the gods so not on the video : ). That was the first time I'd seen a Smiths' song performed live...sort of, it was 'Shoplifters' but didn't last long due to the stage invaders. Exciting times!

Perhaps slightly odd that he didn't perform Smiths songs on the Kill Uncle tour, but did perform songs by The Jam and NYD...what we would have given for a blast of Hand in Glove, but I don't think the band were up to it.

Morrissey made the decision to not
do Smiths songs on his early solo tours because he didn’t want to be seen as using them as a crutch or
be seen as using them to propel his
solo success, he felt his own material was strong enough. And he was correct.

Having said that. Of course it’s impossible for any Smith to escape what made them and what brought them to the attention they continued to have after the split.

While it was a bit disappointing to not hear any Smiths songs on the first 2 solo tours... I get it. I was starting to think he wasn't going to play them as a solo artist, but then with the Boxers tour, Smiths songs are played. I am curious about the timing... by then, 1995, he had been solo longer than being a Smith. Is that the reason, or did he simply miss them? I don't know if he's ever addressed that specifically in an interview. I know he's said things like those songs (Smiths) are his and mean as much to him as his solo songs... but that was always the case.

I was just happy to see him on stage touring at all, so the absence of Smiths songs never entered my mind, nor did I feel he needed to.

I believe it was a combination of feeling enough time has past, his position as a successful solo artist
secure without the aid of relying on one’s former band’s work, and simply missing doing some of those songs, which are as rightfully his as they are Marr’s to do.

Back
Top Bottom