Fiona Dodwell: "Morrissey reflects on 'the horror of 2020' after departure from BMG" (November 17, 2020)

Morrissey reflects on 'the horror of 2020' after departure from BMG.

BMG should surely be begging for Morrissey's hand for every future release he will produce.
For there lies true diversity: committing, with loyalty, to an individual who thrives as completely himself in a sea of conformity.

Regards,
FWD.

Update:
November 18, 2020.
Now the topic of a Central post:
Update:
November 28, 2020.
Now a YouTube video:

Morrissey reflects on 'the horror of 2020' after departure from BMG.

BMG should surely be begging for Morrissey's hand for every future release he will produce.
For there lies true diversity: committing, with loyalty, to an individual who thrives as completely himself in a sea of conformity.

Regards,
FWD.

Yeah, it's an absolute mystery why his stuff doesn't sell these days, isn't it Fiona? How brown is that nose?

"One only has to look at the singles chart to realize that, in fact, artists like Morrissey are the ones continually underrepresented."

Fiona Dodwell must be one of the thickest people ever to call herself a writer . The charts are all about sales and streams. Artists like Morrissey are underrepresented, because not enough people listen to them. I can't find any skiffle or opera either in the singles chart.

"One only has to look at the singles chart to realize that, in fact, artists like Morrissey are the ones continually underrepresented."

Fiona Dodwell must be one of the thickest people ever to call herself a writer . The charts are all about sales and streams. Artists like Morrissey are underrepresented, because not enough people listen to them. I can't find any skiffle or opera either in the singles chart.
I'm not sure that latter part is totally the case. Many people do stream Morrissey, but radio stations won't play his stuff so he has limited exposure.

Streams are included in the charts too nowadays. So not enough people stream Morrissey to matter chart-wise.

Actually in that point I agree with dodwell.
The music industry is hugely ageist. Just look at radio 1 and their refusal to play Madonna once she turned 60, and now she sells far less than before.
Older singers never get the same exposure and radio play or promotion. Its always the young or up and coming.

They probably told him to sort his social out.

They didn't distance themselves, so it's fine.

Hire a social media manager & a young designer.

Grads are cheap!

Streams are included in the charts too nowadays. So not enough people stream Morrissey to matter chart-wise.
Not true, Morrissey has a massive back catalogue. Without adequate promotion, there isn’t the consumer focus to make an impact on the charts. But significant Morrissey interest remains. Certainly enough to get him back in the charts.

BMG intentionally tanked Dog: an LP with at least 3 (possibly 4) potential top twenty singles on it.

Yeah, it's an absolute mystery why his stuff doesn't sell these days, isn't it Fiona? How brown is that nose?

What do you got against brown noses?

Not true, Morrissey has a massive back catalogue. Without adequate promotion, there isn’t the consumer focus to make an impact on the charts. But significant Morrissey interest remains. Certainly enough to get him back in the charts.

BMG intentionally tanked Dog: an LP with at least 3 (possibly 4) potential top twenty singles on it.

I think it was a stand-off. He wants them to promote him like he's dead. They want him to normalize enough to do a bit of promo.

He needs to find someone to get creative with him.

It's an interesting problem. How do you sell someone who hates being sold but wants to sell?????

I think it was a stand-off. He wants them to promote him like he's dead. They want him to normalize enough to do a bit of promo.

It's an interesting problem. How do you sell someone who hates being sold but wants to sell?????

to be self and sell at the same time?

now there’s the rub.

Hasn’t that paradox always been the problem, and ultimately the feature that attracts people to his records?

Looking back, BMG acted conspicuously limply when some indignant pleb complained about a Morrissey promotional poster, in Liverpool—and succeeded in getting it removed. In interested hands, that story would’ve been seized as an open goal; one which explained, justified and ultimately highlighted Morrissey’s public persona and vital relevance. But BMG shrank back like puppies that had just pissed on the carpet.

to be self and sell at the same time?

now there’s the rub.

Yeah. It's not the done thing in music.

Playwrights, poets & novelists can be themselves - but a pop star is supposed to symbolise something for the audience & everything they do in public reinforces the symbol.

The press fall back on This Charming Man when he's behaving himself & Bigmouth when he's not.

Hasn’t that paradox always been the problem, and ultimately the feature that attracts people to his records?

Looking back, BMG acted conspicuously limply when some indignant pleb complained about a Morrissey promotional poster, in Liverpool—and succeeded in getting it removed. In interested hands, that story would’ve been seized as an open goal; one which explained, justified and ultimately highlighted Morrissey’s public persona and vital relevance. But BMG shrank back like puppies that had just pissed on the carpet.

He is more fascinating because he can't be reconciled.

They should have done more for the album - but it's highly unlikely they've got anyone who could steer their way through that kind of political scandal. He obviously didn't strike them as a terrible racist, but conveying that to the public is a tricky thing. And he won't help.

Yeah. It's not the done thing in music.

Playwrights, poets & novelists can be themselves - but a pop star is supposed to symbolise something for the audience & everything they do in public reinforces the symbol.

The press fall back on This Charming Man when he's behaving himself & Bigmouth when he's not.

The thing is, I feel Morrissey doesn’t understand why the labels don’t try to sell him as he is, he being the ultimate alternative to what is in the charts. Token weirdo, madman, voice of reason.. but of course not, for a label to package that that would actually take some brains, work and dare I say ? .... money from their own pockets. Not in these times.

It was never perfect for artists and their relationships with labels, but there seemed to be a time when big labels were creative and didn’t mind taking the risk as long as they made some money back and they seemed proud to have such difficult artists on their label.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom