First of the Gang to Die vs. Staircase at the University

Post a poll. Just kidding. Well, not really. It's a great question - and one I've been thinking about.

"First of the Gang to Die" has better lyrics and music and vocals. I prefer it over "Staircase..."

Tough call. Staircase is so fresh to me still so for right now at least, I'd love to hear it live period.

I definitely vote for "First of the Gang to Die." I like the music a little better, and the lyrics quite a bit better. The lyrics in "Staircase...." seemed forced to me, and bothers me enough to always fast forward through the song. In the real world, if her boyfriend said something that incredibly stupid to her, she'd eject him out of her life so fast it would make his head spin. I've only made it past the boyfiend segment of the song twice and all the way to the end. I do like the Spanish guitar at the end of the song but it seems to play on for too long. Moz's vocals are solid in both songs.

First of the Gang to Die is one of those songs that speaks directly to me :straightface: without going into details :rolleyes:
line after line of it have a meaning for me in my own life's history and often can be seen to do so by those that know me :o
and while I've only karaoked it a few times since coming to China, the last time I did so, one of the people I was with thought that I'd actually gone up and sang a song of "my own" :eek:
for me, that misunderstanding which undoubtedly was mainly the result of things being lost in translation, but also included a component related to Y. knowing a lot of my personal history, way before ever hearing me at karaoke, a rare combination for the me of the last decade, one whose by product, in part, I shall cherish forever :blushing:

^^^^^
Oh, but that ending is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Vampire Weekend (2008)

Yeah, I can see that, and that's pretty cool. I wonder, who is playing the Spanish guitar at the end of the song? Is it Boz or Gustavo?

^^^^^
Robby, I was at The Cat and Fiddle in Hollywood some years ago and talked to a Mexican-American waiter / sometimes Moz chauffer...and well, after that, not only did it affirm how I imagined the song came about, but it made it very clear. He drove Moz to some gigs in L.A., including:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikel_Erentxun

Back
Top Bottom