Happy 30th to Strangeways...

Halcyon days.
I have a few stories from that time period - especially lurking around Beckington and bumping in to Moz, but another time perhaps. The Wool Hall was sold and is no longer a recording studio unfortunately.
I listened to the album on launch and was just blown away.
By time Last Night... came on, I loved it.
Hearing drum machines was a novelty too.
It became a bitter-sweet album for obvious reasons, but it takes me back to a wonderful point in my life.
Regards,
FWD.

Remember racing home to listen to it. A brilliant album, the weird thing was knowing that you'd never hear them play it live. Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Happy unhappy birthday Strangeways! :guitar::clap:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Seems appropriate to post this here.
Billboard:

The Smiths' 'Strangeways, Here We Come' Turns 30: Contrasting Morrissey and Johnny Marr's Memories of Their Final Album.

Excerpt:
"Released 30 years ago this week, on Sept. 28, 1987, Strangeways represents for both artists one final bright spot in the Smiths story. In his 2013 book Autobiography, Morrissey calls it a “masterpiece, with everything in its perfect place.” Marr isn’t quite so effusive in 2016’s Set the Boy Free—a markedly less spirited book than his old companion’s—but his descriptions of the album suggest he feels likewise."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...miths-strangeways-here-we-come-morrissey-marr

Regards,
FWD.

So I've been going back in time with this thread, one of the next nostalgic 30th Anniversaries to come must be for Melvyn Bragg and The South Bank Show on The Smiths.
By the time the general public got a glimpse of our gang and what it was all about it was too late.
I'm just happy I was there, I loved every minute of it.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Looking forward to the deluxe version on this one next year! You know its coming....

Halcyon days.
I have a few stories from that time period - especially lurking around Beckington and bumping in to Moz, but another time perhaps. The Wool Hall was sold and is no longer a recording studio unfortunately.
It became a bitter-sweet album for obvious reasons, but it takes me back to a wonderful point in my life.
Regards,
FWD.

Now is as good a time as any...:)

Some more articles about the 30th anniversary -

Strangeways, Here We Come: thirty years on
"...epitomizes the anarchic opulence of The Smiths"
https://www.varsity.co.uk/music/13536

30 Years Ago: The Smiths Release Their Last Album, ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’
"It’s an essential album from the era (all of the Smiths’ records are), but following what came before, it sounds a bit exhausted and heavy..."
http://diffuser.fm/smiths-strangeways-here-we-come/

Simon Goddard was right. Death Of A Disco Dancer was and is a masterpiece.

Got to agree with that. I can count 7/10 irresistible gems on SHWC. I had actually forgotten how much I did like it overall :)

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2196.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2195.JPG
    IMG_2195.JPG
    640.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I always felt that the intro sound to "Last night I dreamt..." was recorded at the Old Trafford forecourt on February 26 1983 when United and Liverpool fans clashed after the 100th league meeting between the sides which ended 1-1.

That was the first time I saw United in the flesh and me and dad ended up jumping between police riot shields after the game cause I made him take me to the club shop after the game despite our guide on the bus telling us not to.

Everyone turned on the sound of a whistle and a scouser stabbed a police horse so that they could get out and fight the United boys and the sound of it all sounded just like that intro sound to that song.

I wonder if anyone know where that sound was recorded cause I suspect it is taken from some miners protest. A wonderful album and so emotional in so many ways.

When it was released I was working at a Vicks factory owned by Procter & Gamble whose american owner took the jet from USA to see the plant and us working. Back then I had a white Ted Bundy style VW beetle.

Highlights from the game:

Halcyon days.
Regards,
FWD.

the time is now ! :D

Looking forward to the deluxe version on this one next year! You know its coming....

yes, and we all know what won't be on it, simply because we want it. But what should be on it, is a dvd of... Morrissey at Wolverhampton, would it really be so strange ?

This album definately deserves the deluxe remaster boxset menagerie thingummy.With badges and posters an demo's booklets and all that jazz. I'd buy it, as usual.

This album definately deserves the deluxe remaster boxset menagerie thingummy.With badges and posters an demo's booklets and all that jazz. I'd buy it, as usual.

Hmmm...Niiice..."Strangeways..." the Jazz Version... :ha-no:

I hear they are planning to re-record it in Mariachi style, just in time for the 31 years, 4 months and 4 days anniversary.
Can't wait.
Now now IR, don't be negative i'm sure Morrissey's present band would do a fine job of butch... I mean rerecording this Smiths classic.

Now now IR, don't be negative i'm sure Morrissey's present band would do a fine job of butch... I mean rerecording this Smiths classic.

Rumour has it it will be Gustavo on vocals, Boz on drums and Moz on tambourine.
Mike was their first choice drummer, however he politely declined, offering no further explanation.
Make of that what you will...

Back
Top Bottom