Happy 6th Birthday to "Years of Refusal"

fredkocherpepsi

That makes my calculations on my canary's age way off, he was only 6ish, not 8.

i enjoy quite a bit of it. there is some shouting yelling going on but it doesnt come near to ruining anything for me.

I agree that the first side is great. The second side makes me grateful for WPINOYB

those critical of the second side are right, but would do well to remember "it's not your birthday anymore" is incredible

true enough the second side is the weaker but i still also like one day will be goodbye

His most under rated album imo.

Not really.

Per meteacritic it has a higher number of positive reviews than any of his post-2004 albums, including You Are the Quarry.

Per Pitchfork's rating it got a better numerical score than not only Ringleaders, Swords, and World Peace, but also the Viva Hate, Your Aresenal, Vauxhall reissues (which I can never tell if said reviews are of the reissue, as a reissue or of the overall quality of the albums). In fact, the only two albums to get higher scores than it are the Bona Drag reissue (which Bona Drag is probably quite frankly the best work of his entire solo career--though I suspect many on here will argue with me) and You Are the Quarry.

None of these reviews mean anything to me, but I have long since used them to point out to people on this forum who exist in an alternative version of reality and like to make silly claims about Years of Refusal being of universally recognized poor quality, hence why his career fell apart.

i was disappointed with the allmusic score for world peace. though it should have gotten a 4 1/2 out of five.

Not really.

Per meteacritic it has a higher number of positive reviews than any of his post-2004 albums, including You Are the Quarry.

Per Pitchfork's rating it got a better numerical score than not only Ringleaders, Swords, and World Peace, but also the Viva Hate, Your Aresenal, Vauxhall reissues (which I can never tell if said reviews are of the reissue, as a reissue or of the overall quality of the albums). In fact, the only two albums to get higher scores than it are the Bona Drag reissue (which Bona Drag is probably quite frankly the best work of his entire solo career--though I suspect many on here will argue with me) and You Are the Quarry.

None of these reviews mean anything to me, but I have long since used them to point out to people on this forum who exist in an alternative version of reality and like to make silly claims about Years of Refusal being of universally recognized poor quality, hence why his career fell apart.

I don't go on Pitchfork so I don't know but opinion of it on here seems pretty dim. Agree on Bona Drag.

I'm okay by myself would be on my Morrissey desert disc.

Shit then, shit now.

Having said that, it's still preferable to that nonsense he put out last summer. I still haven't had the patience or determination to sit through the entirety of 'World Peace...'.

Shit then, shit now.

Having said that, it's still preferable to that nonsense he put out last summer. I still haven't had the patience or determination to sit through the entirety of 'World Peace...'.

Well you are missing out because it's a great album.

Shit then, shit now.

which ones do you like

I don't go on Pitchfork so I don't know but opinion of it on here seems pretty dim. Agree on Bona Drag.

Oh I know. Opinion of that album on here is pretty universally that it is a terrible record--and responsible for any number of Morrissey's woes.

I don't usually go on Pitchfork very much, but they do seem to consistently review Morrissey albums. It was just a random review site I picked.

All Music Guide gave it four stars--same as Quarry and only half a star away from Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Your Arsenal, and Vauxhall and I.

Critically, it is one of his most acclaimed albums. I don't put much stock in that sort of thing, but I do find it odd given the naysayers on here. Than again to be totally fair I get the sense that people here seem to like World Peace much more than the commercial critics do.

I remember when YOR came out a lot of people I knew that were fans of his did not seem to like it or were very indifferent towards it. I think time has done quite the number on it, for me, because I enjoy it more now than I did in 2008 when I first heard it (the leak).

i still really love something is squeezing my skull. rachel loves to tell me what all the drugs are but i wonder how auto biographical this song is. did he go off of any meds he was previously on? curious

Oh I know. Opinion of that album on here is pretty universally that it is a terrible record--and responsible for any number of Morrissey's woes.

I don't usually go on Pitchfork very much, but they do seem to consistently review Morrissey albums. It was just a random review site I picked.

All Music Guide gave it four stars--same as Quarry and only half a star away from Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Your Arsenal, and Vauxhall and I.

Critically, it is one of his most acclaimed albums. I don't put much stock in that sort of thing, but I do find it odd given the naysayers on here. Than again to be totally fair I get the sense that people here seem to like World Peace much more than the commercial critics do.

I can imagine it gets highly rated, not so much on artistic merit, but because it's probably the most accessible of his recent work. Lets be real, Morrissey's recent output is usually only liked by core fans. I'd imagine that he could right the absolute best song he's ever written and people would yawn and ask him to play suedehead or there is a light. This is a rocking album for better or worse and it's one that could get someone interested. Moz-lite.

I can imagine it gets highly rated, not so much on artistic merit, but because it's probably the most accessible of his recent work. Lets be real, Morrissey's recent output is usually only liked by core fans. I'd imagine that he could right the absolute best song he's ever written and people would yawn and ask him to play suedehead or there is a light. This is a rocking album for better or worse and it's one that could get someone interested. Moz-lite.

i used to think that before i found all these new fans from quarry. young people whod never heard him site quarry and people my own age, read thirty to thirty five, only became fans from name recognition and first of the gang to die. i found a lot of people to be in this category, at least here in the u.s from just talking about music in person or at concerts. i was a bit surprised at the time but now ive come around

Back
Top Bottom