Herb Alpert

Herb Alpert.

Has Morrissey ever talked about him?

in the hot press of 2009 . i believe or was it in filter mag?
edit:
where he said he and the band listened a lot during the YOR recordings to herb and herb was even supposed to play on the record

will check the mags when i come home and tell you tomorrow

Last edited:
Herb Alpert. What a great name - sounds like a yoghurt / breakfast cereal.

I remember a lot of people making the obvious comparisons when YOR came out - but not any direct questions to/quotes from Morrissey...

in the hot press of 2009 . i believe or was it in filter mag?
edit:
where he said he and the band listened a lot during the YOR recordings to herb and herb was even supposed to play on the record

will check the mags when i come home and tell you tomorrow

thanks

Herb Alpert was on the brink of playing on three YOR tracks but he climbed down when the time came, as per Hot Press interview. Perhaps that's a collaboration for the next album. :thumb:

All I know is I still cant pronounce his f***ing name properly,

Herp Albert..Herb Aplert..Alp Herbert.....

Haha!

I didn't know if I still had the last Hot Press interview, not to mind where I'd put it. I presumed someone else would have it handy. I was looking for something entirely unrelated and lo and behold, the magazine looked back at me (still missing the other item).

Anywho...

the q and a about H.A. goes like this:

Q: "Certain of the new songs - 'Black Cloud', 'When Last I Spoke to Carol', 'One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell' - have an almost Saturday matinee daredevil bravado, suggested in part by Mark Isham's trumpet."

A: "We had been listening to a lot of Herb Alpert, and he agreed to come in and play on three tracks, so we were hugely excited. In the event, he cancelled and cancelled and then ultimately backed off. We cried. But Mark was terrific, and had played with Herb, and he caught that swirling Los Angeles gallop perfectly".

YOR was a good album but when i heard herb was meant to be on it i was sad because he could have made it great - i loved the early live version of goodbye/farewell but didn't much care for the recorded version (those drums?) and that song was crying out for herb - its a real shame and a missed chance

Back
Top Bottom