HMV: "hmv's 1921 Centenary Editions - second batch of exclusive vinyl revealed” - Bona Drag LTD 750 copies / transparent green vinyl (June 17, 2021)

tE2SDPk.jpg

Morrissey – Bona Drag

Following the split of The Smiths and in the wake of his debut solo album Viva Hate, released in 1988, Morrissey opted against working on an immediate follow-up album, instead releasing a string of singles over the next couple of years that would eventually be compiled together on 1990s Bona Drag (released on the hmv label, no less…)

Featuring some of Moz’s early solo hits including ‘Suedehead’, ‘Everyday Is Like Sunday’ and ‘Last of the Famous International Playboys’, Bona Drag returns to hmv once more as part of our 1921 Centenary Edition range, with a new exclusive reissue pressed on transparent green vinyl and limited to only 750 copies.

"... all of which will be available exclusively in hmv stores on Saturday July 24."

Regards,
FWD.

Related items:

Last edited:
Yeah he's going to be rolling in it when he gets what ever royalty he's owed from the roughly 20,000 pounds 750 purchases is going to make. This is an anniversary release by EMI which would have very little to do with Morrissey.

What's with the hate for Bona Drag? It's basically the best collection of songs he's ever done.
Anyway my comment was meant to be humorous. Moz is filthy rich. I doubt if he cares about record sales of 750 copies. I'm railing against the interest in Bona Drag which anyone interested enough could have easily bought on vinyl before now. Give me the hard (impossible) to find albums: Southpaw, Maladjusted, Quarry, Ringleader, World Peace. Fuk a coloured vinyl of something we already have.

Action is my middle Name 😉
Acton is my surname
I only waste time anymore
I'll never have a date with an undertaker
Someone else can arrange that when I'm gone
Tongue against cheek and
We've only just begun
Could I interest you in
Hours of boredom?
Am I moving too slow for you?
Am I beginning to confuse myself?

Anyway my comment was meant to be humorous. Moz is filthy rich. I doubt if he cares about record sales of 750 copies. I'm railing against the interest in Bona Drag which anyone interested enough could have easily bought on vinyl before now. Give me the hard (impossible) to find albums: Southpaw, Maladjusted, Quarry, Ringleader, World Peace. Fuk a coloured vinyl of something we already have.
Yeah fair point. I'll just add that the music industry got royally fukd with torrent sites and now with covid cancelling concerts it's not the lucrative honey pot we think it is. How do musicians make a career these days at all is my question?

not everyone collected vinyl 10 years ago, although i do agree with your point

News on the central-announced reissues would be nice

Yeah he's going to be rolling in it when he gets what ever royalty he's owed from the roughly 20,000 pounds 750 purchases is going to make. This is an anniversary release by EMI which would have very little to do with Morrissey.

What's with the hate for Bona Drag? It's basically the best collection of songs he's ever done.
And Mike + Andy get performance royalties on Playboys / Interesting Drug :D

I think HMV Bona Drag (and the previous HMV Vauxhall.. offering) come under the heading of 'because they can'.
Central never advertised the Vauxhall vinyl, but managed a post about its charting. This may be the same thing. The murky waters surrounding which albums can be produced & made like this will probably never be clear, but the proposed/cancelled albums didn't go as far back as V&I, BD...

Re: HMVs - they say 120, I believe it to be less after the main closures. Some areas that had 2 or 3 shops now have one 'mega' store and their online catalogue/service was scaled back too (the excellent Vault in Birmingham being one such larger store).

This is more about their Centenary than Morrissey merchandising IMHO. The vinyl resurgence has lead to all sorts of interesting collectibles appear. This is just a random one that is pertinent here, but I wouldn't expect too many more (unless they start with 7&12s).
Regards,
FWD.

And Mike + Andy get performance royalties on Playboys / Interesting Drug :D

It would be interesting to know what kind of contract they had with Morrissey after the Smiths. Especially with Andy being co-writer on some.

Acton is my surname
I only waste time anymore
I'll never have a date with an undertaker
Someone else can arrange that when I'm gone
Tongue against cheek and
We've only just begun
Could I interest you in
Hours of boredom?
Am I moving too slow for you?
Am I beginning to confuse myself?
😉👌 perfect

I think HMV Bona Drag (and the previous HMV Vauxhall.. offering) come under the heading of 'because they can'.
Central never advertised the Vauxhall vinyl, but managed a post about its charting. This may be the same thing. The murky waters surrounding which albums can be produced & made like this will probably never be clear, but the proposed/cancelled albums didn't go as far back as V&I, BD...

Re: HMVs - they say 120, I believe it to be less after the main closures. Some areas that had 2 or 3 shops now have one 'mega' store and their online catalogue/service was scaled back too (the excellent Vault in Birmingham being one such larger store).

This is more about their Centenary than Morrissey merchandising IMHO. The vinyl resurgence has lead to all sorts of interesting collectibles appear. This is just a random one that is pertinent here, but I wouldn't expect too many more (unless they start with 7&12s).
Regards,
FWD.
I just bought the two boxes of 7" singles but I always thought they needed to do a boxset of Morrissey's 12" singles.

Last edited:
I just bought the two boxes of 7" singles but I always thought hey needed to do a boxset of Morrissey's 12" singles.
I'm the exact same. Two boxes of 7". Great to have and was way cheaper than buying the 7" individually (even if you could find them all). But I've always thought the 7" is the poor cousin of the 12".

I'm the exact same. Two boxes of 7". Great to have and was way cheaper than buying the 7" individually (even if you could find them all). But I've always thought the 7" is the poor cousin of the 12".
Especially when a lot of the 12 inch singles had four songs on them vs two for the 7 inch.

I have all the U.K./US 7’s and 12’s - including many other territories releases. Never bothered with the 7’ boz sets though but, would be very happy to pass over the cash should the 12’ ever have a box set release. Even if it’s to just keep them sealed.
I’ve still not got over DD and The Boy Racer not being issued on 12’. That was a low moment in Morrissey fan world.

I have all the U.K./US 7’s and 12’s - including many other territories releases. Never bothered with the 7’ boz sets though but, would be very happy to pass over the cash should the 12’ ever have a box set release. Even if it’s to just keep them sealed.
I’ve still not got over DD and The Boy Racer not being issued on 12’. That was a low moment in Morrissey fan world.
Indeed, a dark day Janice 😔

I doubt if he cares about record sales of 750 copies.
I think he cares greatly. If this means he gets in the LP vinyl sales chart you can certainly expect a post on Morrissey Central crowing about it.

Picked up this promo copy of suedehead for £30 from my local indie record shop which I think maybe quite rare. Lucky to have a decent shop near by, and of course he saves any Moz treasures for me which makes him ok by me.....

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_211246.jpg
    IMG_20210620_211246.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 0
For anyone who is buying this in person rather than gamble on the leftovers online, HMV reassures me (for several HMVs, but maybe not all), that they will be doing the turn up, leave a list and collect later approach that worked brilliantly for their last event.
Regards,
FWD.

For anyone who is buying this in person rather than gamble on the leftovers online, HMV reassures me (for several HMVs, but maybe not all), that they will be doing the turn up, leave a list and collect later approach that worked brilliantly for their last event.
Regards,
FWD.
That’s what they did the last few years in Manchester, but you wait outside.

Regards,
FWD
Is it the 17th or 24th they are available from store? Cheers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom