How Devoted are you to Morrissey?

mozmic_dancer

One of the Good Guys
A friend asked me this question and it made me think.

Is there anything Morrissey can say or do that would turn you off completely and never listen to him or his music ever again? What would it take? A drug bust? Child abuse allegations? A country-western album? Getting married? A cancelled concert?

and if he did or said something you objected to, can you find it in your heart to overlook it and forgive him?

I think I would, for instance, be majorly pissed if he did a one-off reunion with the Smiths for this presumed Hall of Fame inductation. To me, that would be a an insult to the fans who loved their music for all these years only for them to get together and play for a bunch of industry "tampon-rollers", as Moz once called them, who never appreciated the Smiths in their heyday and still wouldn't know great music if it walked up to them and kicked them straight in the nuts.

Sadly, I would forgive him but...

A friend asked me this question and it made me think.

Is there anything Morrissey can say or do that would turn you off completely and never listen to him or his music ever again? What would it take? A drug bust? Child abuse allegations? A country-western album? Getting married? A cancelled concert?

and if he did or said something you objected to, can you find it in your heart to overlook it and forgive him?

I think I would, for instance, be majorly pissed if he did a one-off reunion with the Smiths for this presumed Hall of Fame inductation. To me, that would be a an insult to the fans who loved their music for all these years only for them to get together and play for a bunch of industry "tampon-rollers", as Moz once called them, who never appreciated the Smiths in their heyday and still wouldn't know great music if it walked up to them and kicked them straight in the nuts.

Sadly, I would forgive him but...

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I'm so used to hearing everyone hoping in vain for a Smiths reunion someday. I, myself, would LIKE to see it, but I know it's NOT gonna happen someday and it annoys me when people insist that someday it will. Given Morrissey's feelings on the subject and things that he's said in interviews, it looks EXTREMELY unlikely.

hmm, unless he happened to appear on an episode of "To Catch a Predator" there's probably not much that would turn me off...

HAIRDO

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I'm so used to hearing everyone hoping in vain for a Smiths reunion someday. I, myself, would LIKE to see it, but I know it's NOT gonna happen someday and it annoys me when people insist that someday it will. Given Morrissey's feelings on the subject and things that he's said in interviews, it looks EXTREMELY unlikely.

I was just using this as an example, since this was discussed recently. If the Smiths ever decided to reunite, I would hope it would be for the right reasons, in that, they want to do it or they have some musical ideas, but I would hate for them to reunite for the sake of nostalga or worse, to entertain the same industry bigwigs that dismissed them so many years ago.

Yeah, it would piss me off big time, and maybe I would forgive him so yes, I guess I probably would forgive him of anything. I don't think he is capable of doing anything heinous. Perhaps, the worst thing Morrissey is capable of doing is changing his mind. :D

Last edited:
oh, ...collaborating with Ashlee Simpson, yeah. good thing Bob took care of that one.

Oh my, I still can't get over that! Has Robert Smith gone plum loco?

Poor Bob.

I'm glad Morrissey is not too big on collaborations, thank heavens. The ones where he did collaborate with someone have been pretty far out.

Favorite Morrissey collaboration: tie between Kristeen Young and Mary Margaret O'Hara.

Last edited:
I’ve been really into artists in the past and thought I’d never change the way I felt about them, but then they’d alter in some way- decide to change their music style like they felt they’d outgrown their audience/ lose their inspiration and start producing mediocre middle-ground drivel/ have personal problems. Which inevitably led to me feeling disillusioned to say the least. It surprised me that that could happen, how such devotion and admiration could suddenly start to wane and turn to ambivalence, or even dislike. I thought I’d never change my mind about them and it upset me at the time… mind you, maybe it’s how you change as well as how they change. I know I was looking for an intelligent voice when I stumbled across Morrissey, it was perfect timing somehow.

So yeah, the musical output is pretty central to my passion for an artist, but with someone like Morrissey for whom I have a certain personal investment in, other events would affect how I felt about him. Like if he changed his lifestyle completely or did something morally dubious… but I can’t see any of that happening. That’s one of the reason’s I admire him so much- the things he said when he was 25 he still lives up to, so many people state one thing one year and the next they go and do the opposite. So (maybe rather dangerously), I feel safe in that he’ll remain true to himself and that he is honest in what he says, and so long as he continues to be that way, he’ll have my faith and trust.

I'm afraid I would like him more if he did something really disastrous, criminal or whatever. I saw the (real) light while watching The Youngest... video, so you cannot really blame me, well?

Only if Morrissey appeared in a daily paper shaking hands with Simon Cowell and proclaiming "We Are Best Friends!" i'm afriad i would seriously think about puting my CDs under my bed.

Only if Morrissey appeared in a daily paper shaking hands with Simon Cowell and proclaiming "We Are Best Friends!" i'm afriad i would seriously think about puting my CDs under my bed.

In regards to your signature, I LOVE that picture of Moz. It's one of my favorites. :DDD

Oh my, I still can't get over that! Has Robert Smith gone plum loco?

Poor Bob.

I believe Robert Smith made a statement on The Cure's webpage that that rumor was just that - a rumor. And that he would never do it...

As for my devotion to Morrissey - well, I don't think I'm really devoted to him in any way. He's just a singer I like. Not the only one, and not even my favorite one. I would say admiration is a better way of putting it than devotion...

I think if he was exposed as a carnivore that would take some getting over.

But that will never happen so...

I like his songs and the words. Stuff he does or does not do really doesn't figure into it. He's already made those discs and they will always be good no matter what he does, and I will always like those songs. But maybe I'm not as devoted as some people on here so I don't understand.

There isn`t anything he could do to change my undying devotion.He`s not likely to ever change in any radical way anytime soon.He`ll always be the most talented handsome man on the planet to me.:) :D :p

Back
Top Bottom