How Eric Cantona's infamous Kung-fu kick helped inspire "Soutpaw Grammar" - NME blog

I like the angle but there was no 1996 tour - unless you count his time in the dock.

How Eric Cantona's Infamous Kung-Fu Kick Helped Inspire Morrissey's Most Daring Ever Solo Album - NME blog
by Al Horner

Excerpt:

Morrissey’s never directly confirmed the impact of Cantona on his music, but the parallels are interesting, even if unintended. Two decades and one strange 2009 reissue with a “reworked” tracklisting later, the loud, violent ‘Southpaw…’ still packs a formidable blow: a Cantonian kick-to-the-chest of an album that, much like his French kindred spirit, confounded, beguiled, enraged and enchanted in equal measure.

2015rexfeatures_239359k190115.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What's racist about calling someone a "French ***t"?

The object of Cantona's ire claims he said the wonderfully unlikely "It’s an early bath for you, Mr. Cantona.” before doffing his cap, lighting his clay pipe and returning to his Dickensian Workhouse, presumably.

Happy days though, and Southpaw deserves a reappraisal, especially in the light of recent albums.

When will the Brits, Nazis, Serbs, and other assorted Euro trash stop stating Morrissey and his music have kickball themes? This pic just shows how ridiculous that "sport" is, along with acting like you were just shot and flopping around on the ground like a fish out of water after someone just put their foot on your shin. The only thing I know about kickball is that the USA, a country where 99% of the people don't even know how to make the kicking motion with their legs beat and tied England in the kickball championships and I have been told that England invented kickball. That is pathetic for England. OK, I also know that Robbie Keane is Morrissey's cousin.

SOUTHPAW GRAMMAR WAS ABOUT A LEFT HANDED BOXER.

You don't see Americans on this board making up some shit like "I saw Morrissey hit a home run at Dodger stadium during batting practice and Nancy caught the ball in the bleachers".

When will the Brits, Nazis, Serbs, and other assorted Euro trash stop stating Morrissey and his music have kickball themes? This pic just shows how ridiculous that "sport" is, along with acting like you were just shot and flopping around on the ground like a fish out of water after someone just put their foot on your shin. The only thing I know about kickball is that the USA, a country where 99% of the people don't even know how to make the kicking motion with their legs beat and tied England in the kickball championships and I have been told that England invented kickball. That is pathetic for England. OK, I also know that Robbie Keane is Morrissey's cousin.

You don't see Americans on this board making up some shit like "I saw Morrissey hit a home run at Dodger stadium during batting practice and Nancy caught the ball in the bleachers".

Your obsession with Nancy Sinatra and racism is very alarming.

I have been told that England invented kickball. That is pathetic for England.

The Brits codified pretty much every major modern sport. Not Basketball though. That's why it took twenty-one years to cut a hole in the peach basket.

- - - Updated - - -

Your obsession with Nancy Sinatra and racism is very alarming.

Nazi Sinatra.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the dock?

In this context it is the dock in a court, where the accused sits during a trial. Morrissey didn't sit in a dock, but would have appeared in the witness box.

I've always found the anger coming from americans to be so very funny and while they claim to be living in the best country in the world that anger tells me something different. They all have ancestry outside of their own country and they know very little about the world outside of their own country and when it comes to football or soccer as they prefer to call it then that sport has completely taken over among the people in their country that are of any worth at all.

Their media also have to learn a thing about proper football as this headline from an american paper shows:

http://getnloose.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/ydjnd-664x720.jpg

Nice post Uncleskinny, would have missed it otherwise . I never knew the history of 'Southpaw Grammer' let alone the "fan boy" behavior Moz had for Eric Cantona . Love the photo of the kick and used CharlieFairheads link to read more on Eric. Being the typical American, the football part of the article was a bit tuff to understand but Cantona does have a passion for the game . Wonder if he ever got wooed to come to the United States to play ? He has the looks but may-be the USA market was to small at this time.

Nice post Uncleskinny, would have missed it otherwise . I never knew the history of 'Southpaw Grammer' let alone the "fan boy" behavior Moz had for Eric Cantona . Love the photo of the kick and used CharlieFairheads link to read more on Eric. Being the typical American, the football part of the article was a bit tuff to understand but Cantona does have a passion for the game . Wonder if he ever got wooed to come to the United States to play ? He has the looks but may-be the USA market was to small at this time.

He quit when he was at the top of his game so it definitely wouldn't have happened. I like Cantona, a good honest lunatic and a great footballer to boot.

He quit when he was at the top of his game so it definitely wouldn't have happened. I like Cantona, a good honest lunatic and a great footballer to boot.

Eric Cantona was shit. Ask any Manchester City fan.

Interesting-ish article, but could have done with dropping the dubious Cantona link and writing a fuller account of the background to the album.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom