California Son: 4
I Am Not a Dog on a Chain: 3

UPDATE 11:25 AM PT:

Added placings:
#1 in the Official Physical Albums Chart Top 100
#1 in the Official Independent Albums Chart Top 50
#2 in the Official Vinyl Albums Chart Top 40

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a few comments - it's a totally unambiguous endorsement of a far-right political party which has never been retracted. A party so extreme that even Farage ridiculed them. A party that wants to protect the wealthiest people in society by slashing their taxes. A party that wants to spend billions more on military expenditure. A party that wants to deny the existence of a climate emergency. If you support this party and everything they stand for, then that makes you something of a see-you-en-tee. It has nothing at all to do with the wider world of UK politics.
The album sold? You missed a word off the end of that sentence. The album sold pitifully. You don't seem to have any understanding of record sales, album deals, recording costs etc. If you think this all means business as usual with another couple of new albums released in the next few years, you are massively deluded. But we'll see...

& yet the only party being investigated for racism is Labour.

So, aye. The ex-fans are not really putting things into perspective.

& it's selling fine. BMG will not be fussed.

Who the f*** do you think you are. How f***ing dare you call 70% of his old/current fanbase thick. Everyone has their own views on life and just because they do not align with yours or Morrisseys, it does not make them thick you utter c***.

70% of his old fanbase - allegedly - think they can't go to his concerts or buy his records because of politics, while Labour is being investigated for racism, is crippled with in-fighting & has lost its heartlands. And The Guardian has been involved in 2 race rows & a trans row. And Moz has barely mentioned politics & it isn't in his work.

It's not about them agreeing with him. It's about them looking at this landscape & thinking he's so uniquely awful he needs to be boycotted.

I would say that was lacking in judgement.

& yet the only party being investigated for racism is Labour.

So, aye. The ex-fans are not really putting things into perspective.

& it's selling fine. BMG will not be fussed.

What evidence points to it selling well. Everything points to it's selling appallingly, its his lowest selling album ever in the UK, its dropped out of the top 100 after 3 days and we have just found out it's his first album not to get in the Billboard 200 in the US?

I still dig Moz as much as ever and I really really like the new album but chartwise this is one of the biggest flops for a major artist I've ever seen.

1 week on UK 100?
Fails to chart on Billboard 200?

So you don't think sales are linked to reputation?

Despite the fact you called me a c***, I'll answer.

I'm looking for signs his reputation is on the turn & improving. Which it is. Sales are down the line. Although he's 60, so I don't think that's even a priority. Core fans & the interested can see him. It's more about getting him out of folk demon territory.

I still dig Moz as much as ever and I really really like the new album but chartwise this is one of the biggest flops for a major artist I've ever seen.

1 week on UK 100?
Fails to chart on Billboard 200?

He's not a commercial artist. A flop's when you spend a fortune on the marketing budget & it doesn't shift.

He's not a commercial artist. A flop's when you spend a fortune on the marketing budget & it doesn't shift.

Don't go mentioning facts, reasoning, or anything like that though...the dwerbs will go like this :ahhh::ahhh::ahhh:

So why was a lot of money spent on California Son, (which also flopped) Adverts were plastered on bill boards all over the UK, people were posting pictures on this site?

You come across as someone who discovered Morrissey last month, why do you assume he is not a commercial artist?

It's getting a bit sad isn't it? So now it's OK that his new album sold poorly because he never wanted to sell very many in the first place? Because he's not a 'commercial artist,' despite the fact that every chart showing is seized upon and trumpeted on Morrissey Central, even the dizzying heights of No. 1 in Scotland.
I take back what I said about expectations being lowered. That doesn't cover the half of it.

That's your criteria for what you consider a flop. Moz is a commercial artist in the UK. His album flopped hard. Now technically we would have to know what the album cost to make, what was spent overall by BMG and/or Moz to know if it was a financial flop but the album is his lowest selling album and his worst chart performance.
That doesn't mean that the album is a flop artistically. It isn't to me. I enjoy it very much. I also don't have a problem with Moz's political views. I think to claim he is "far-right" is a reach. Even if he was he has the right to believe what he wants. I do not consider him the least bit racist. I'm not trying to belittle him like other arseholes here. As a vegan I support fellow vegans (yeah I know he's not a perfect vegan, etc..). I think the album deserves to go platinum but it tanked.

As a top-3 album it was quite succesful actually.

Yes, it could have been number 1, if radio had embraced it like they did with Spent or even the CS-singles. As it is, and with the crisis we live in, I think it did what could have been expected.

That's your criteria for what you consider a flop. Moz is a commercial artist in the UK. His album flopped hard. Now technically we would have to know what the album cost to make, what was spent overall by BMG and/or Moz to know if it was a financial flop but the album is his lowest selling album and his worst chart performance.
That doesn't mean that the album is a flop artistically. It isn't to me. I enjoy it very much. I also don't have a problem with Moz's political views. I think to claim he is "far-right" is a reach. Even if he was he has the right to believe what he wants. I do not consider him the least bit racist. I'm not trying to belittle him like other arseholes here. As a vegan I support fellow vegans (yeah I know he's not a perfect vegan, etc..). I think the album deserves to go platinum but it tanked.

He really isn't a commercial artist here. He had a high point with Quarry, everything else has been enough to keep going.

As a top-3 album it was quite succesful actually.

Yes, it could have been number 1, if radio had embraced it like they did with Spent or even the CS-singles. As it is, and with the crisis we live in, I think it did what could have been expected.

I agree, getting a top 3 album at a time of a global pandemic is huge. Not many artists are going to be able to lay claim to that, past or future. Moz is truly unique & magnificent. Rises against all the odds. Mozonavirus for me (MOVID-20).

I agree, getting a top 3 album at a time of a global pandemic is huge. Not many artists are going to be able to lay claim to that, past or future. Moz is truly unique & magnificent. Rises against all the odds. Mozonavirus for me.

LOL. It is NOT huge when shifting 6,700 copies gets you a #3 placing. YES, clearly, the pandemic hurt sales but it hurt everyone's sales so it was basically a "normal" playing field all things considered. The album FLOPPED. Again, I wish it hadn't and didn't deserve it but get real.

It literally describes him as alternative.

And his latest album would be listed as number 3 in the UK, there's no sales figures or weeks in chart on the page.

Alternative is a genre of music not a statement on popularity. At one time Alternative was not mainstream. That changed long ago. REM was Alternative Rock...would you say they aren't commercial?

Alternative is a genre of music not a statement on popularity. At one time Alternative was not mainstream. That changed long ago. REM was Alternative Rock...would you say they aren't commercial?

REM were a crossover band.

Anyone that has 33 Top 40 hits is considered a commercial artist. Morrissey has been a commercial artist since his solo career began.
Not really. He had hits by selling to a small but loyal following. Most of these 33 hits only had a 1-week chart run.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom