"I Know It's Over" (Demo) stream - Today FM; "streaming single" Oct. 6?

Beautiful clean demo of I Know It's Over, from The Queen Is Dead touched-up album: streaming free Friday 6 Oct for those who pre-order the album, according to Paul McLoone
Exclusive - First Stream The Smiths 'I Know it's Over' - Today FM

Excerpt:

Paul McLoone has been given 'I Know It's Over' demo version for exclusive streaming.

Paul McLoone has the premiere stream of the demo version of 'I Know it's Over', taken from the Deluxe reissue of, 'The Queen Is Dead' by The Smiths.

The track goes live as an Instant Grat / streaming single on Friday October 6th. But we have it first!

We told you Paul McLoone is #FirstForMusic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that is quite the most beautiful demo/ rarity I've yet heard from the Smiths. Fantastically clear voice. Beautiful.

The last third of the vocal is the one that made it onto the original version released in '86. Either they used the demo vocal then or they tacked that part of the final take onto this release now. I do remember someone saying they heard Morrissey's vocal for the first time during recording. It's amazing virtually all of the vocals he ever recorded from '86 onwards were so good they could use the 1st or 2nd takes and release those.
I think the instruments on this demo are also pretty much the same as the original album version.

The last third of the vocal is the one that made it onto the original version released in '86. Either they used the demo vocal then or they tacked that part of the final take onto this release now. I do remember someone saying they heard Morrissey's vocal for the first time during recording.
I seem to remember that as well. I can't find a specific quote for 'I Know It's Over', beyond this one from Johnny - which implies the first time he heard it was when they recorded it:

"Morrissey's vocal on 'I Know It's Over' - I'll never forget when he did that. It's one of the highlights of my life. It was that good, that strong. Every line he was hinting at where he was going to go. I was thinking, 'Is he going to go there? Yes, he is!' It was just brilliant."

The last third of the vocal is the one that made it onto the original version released in '86. Either they used the demo vocal then or they tacked that part of the final take onto this release now. I do remember someone saying they heard Morrissey's vocal for the first time during recording. It's amazing virtually all of the vocals he ever recorded from '86 onwards were so good they could use the 1st or 2nd takes and release those.
I think the instruments on this demo are also pretty much the same as the original album version.

You're exactly right.... from 4:09 on is exactly the same take as on the album version. The same is true for the "Never Had No One Ever" "demo" -- the complete vocal take in that song is the same as the album version, just with less production. That said, the most likely explanation is they tacked this final third vocal track on to the final version... not the other way around.

These aren't "demos" -- more properly, they are alternate studio takes. Same with "There is a Light..."

Tags
tqid reissue
Back
Top Bottom