In the land of Boz

Marto

Obviously the fact that Boz had no songs on I Am Not a Dog on a Chain is striking, but other than that I don't see any consistent "slide down the hierarchy".

Vauxhall and I was the only album where he almost contributed half of the tracks, but he has otherwise always contributed a much lower ratio.

Even if you go back to that 1995 to 1997 period, Alain wrote all of the tracks on the non-album singles and then Boz only had 5 of the 19 tracks that made the two albums.

I think he deserved to have so many songs recorded during the World Peace is None of Your Business period, and some (eg. Staircase at the University and Art-hounds) are real highlights.
Agreed.

I think it's to be expected that he would get less songs the more co-songwriters there are and there have never been more than at the moment (four including Boz plus Michael Daly and Roger Manning Jr., who got additional credits on Doggo.)

Boz didn't have any songs on Ringleader either. If anything, the large number of songs he contributed to World Peace was surprising.

c*** tit tossey wacker chipper curry northern base inn n nn nn n n nn n nn n n it.
What do you mean by this at the end of all of your posts? Especially the curry part?

You should give WP another spin. I've been critical of Morrissey since Years of Refusal, but I really did like it as a whole album.
I think it was the first Morrissey album I bought where I just thought - there's scarcely one decent song here. Great titles and very different musically but no hooks, nothing memorable. Stuff like "Neal Cassady...".. they're total non-songs to me, I would never reach to repeat them. When the lyrics are good, the melody doesn't measure up (Istanbul, Smiler with Knife, Forgive Someone) and when the melody is better, the lyrics are poor (Staircase, Bullfighter, etc). It's just a total misfire to my ears.

I wonder if the lack of songwriting credits even bothers him that much these days? I'm sure there was a time years ago (when he and Alain were very competitive), that publishing royalties for a co-write with Morrissey were worth a lot of money, especially for whoever got the hit single. Given the dire sales figures for the last couple of Moz albums (plus the almost non-existent radio plays etc), I doubt there's much cash in it now. All the money Moz makes is in the live area, and it wouldn't surprise me that as credited 'musical director' (whatever that means), Boz gets a bigger slice of that pie that the rest of the band anyway.
Very good point, I hadn't thought of that.

I think it was the first Morrissey album I bought where I just thought - there's scarcely one decent song here. Great titles and very different musically but no hooks, nothing memorable. Stuff like "Neal Cassady...".. they're total non-songs to me, I would never reach to repeat them. When the lyrics are good, the melody doesn't measure up (Istanbul, Smiler with Knife, Forgive Someone) and when the melody is better, the lyrics are poor (Staircase, Bullfighter, etc). It's just a total misfire to my ears.

To each their own. I think it's quite diverse musically, which you've touched on, and with some more interesting than usual themes. Some misfires, by all means (Kick the Bride... is abysmal) but good single material with Istanbul, Bullfighter, Staircase, Kiss Me a Lot, and quirky gems like I'm Not a Man (my second favourite album track of this side of the comeback, after Pigsty) and Mountjoy.

The bonus tracks are quite fun and reflective, though I've made my thoughts elsewhere on Scandinavia clear, and Art-hounds isn't the gem that everyone else believes it is.

Regardless, it pisses all over High School. Christ.

To each their own. I think it's quite diverse musically, which you've touched on, and with some more interesting than usual themes. Some misfires, by all means (Kick the Bride... is abysmal) but good single material with Istanbul, Bullfighter, Staircase, Kiss Me a Lot, and quirky gems like I'm Not a Man (my second favourite album track of this side of the comeback, after Pigsty) and Mountjoy.

The bonus tracks are quite fun and reflective, though I've made my thoughts elsewhere on Scandinavia clear, and Art-hounds isn't the gem that everyone else believes it is.

What’s wrong with Art-hounds?

It's too silly without any meaning that resonates with me. There are better songs that Morrissey has written critiquing the critics.

The clumsy lyrics kill Art-Hounds for me (fat aunt Mabel, really?) but weirdly - I love Scandinavia! It's just very different, very theatrical. And yeah, LIHS is an embarrassment. In my head, I've just wiped it from his discography.

The clumsy lyrics kill Art-Hounds for me (fat aunt Mabel, really?) but weirdly - I love Scandinavia! It's just very different, very theatrical. And yeah, LIHS is an embarrassment. In my head, I've just wiped it from his discography.
There was a live version of ArtHounds doing the rounds that was quite good, before the album came out (I think).
LIHS isn’t that bad. World Peace... is certainly much worse.

Take the best of the bonus tracks on 'World Peace', and shuffle them into the main album, and there are enough decent tracks for a very good album. Take the best of the 'World Peace' and 'LIHS' tracks, and you've got enough belters for a single GREAT album.

Unfortunately we got two very uneven albums instead.

Take the best of the bonus tracks on 'World Peace', and shuffle them into the main album, and there are enough decent tracks for a very good album. Take the best of the 'World Peace' and 'LIHS' tracks, and you've got enough belters for a single GREAT album.

Unfortunately we got two very uneven albums instead.
Agree,
Earth is the...
a forgotten gem,
One of our own,
A forgotten gem..
Art hounds, should have been a single..
Mix WP, LIHS about , and CS, and Dog on a chain...= Hatful of hollow part 2 ....
Nephew, a project for you👍

Back
Top Bottom