In this post -"World Peace is All of Our Business" climate, We All Owe "Maladjusted" an Apology

eugenius

Gabba Gabba Hey
I called in sick and spent the day working from home today. In this post-"World Peace is All of Our Business" climate, I cleansed the palate throughout the day with the one Morrissey LP I can honestly say I've listened to least, "Malajusted." (I believe Morrissey-SoLow polls prove that "Malajusted" is everyone else's least favorite record.)

Cranking up the 17-year-old release to maximum volume on a fairly decent sound system, it's clearly obvious this release stands head and shoulders above "World Peace" and dare I say "Years of Refusal." Song for song, "Malajusted" definitely has more memorable songs.

It has the light touch of Steve Lillywhite (of "Vauxhall" and "Southpaw" past), songs with proper structures, subtle ballads (Wide to Receive, Trouble Loves Me), uptempo singles (Satan Rejected My Soul, Alma Matters)--even the b-sides were hummable (I Can Have Both, and Lost).

Sure, the cover art was horrible--worse than "World Peace?" that's debatable and worthy of a poll) and sure, some of the lyrics were iffy (Roy's Keen) and Sorrow Will Come in the End should have been placed on a b-side, but it's still the LP I'll listen to before "World Peace."

Re: In this post-"World Peace is All of Our Business" climate, We All Owe "Malajusted" an Apology.

I don’t owe it an apology at all. I have always enjoyed it.

Re: In this post-"World Peace is All of Our Business" climate, We All Owe "Malajusted" an Apology.

I don’t owe it an apology at all. I have always enjoyed it.

Neither do I. I've been nothing but caring and nurturing towards it. It will remain close to my bosom forever, and I don't even have bosoms. I only stopped at giving people beatings for not liking it :)

Happy to see you've come round and I agree with your appraisal, even if it was to take another gentle swipe at WPINOYB.

Dear Eugene et al,

We await the "We all owe World Peace Is None Of Your Business an apology thread" in years to come!

Last edited:

Just glancing at the track list: title track, Alma Mtters, Trouble Loves Me, Ammunition, Wide To Receive, Roy’s Keen, He Cried, and Satan Rejected My Soul. All bangers. Still don’t know why he took Roy’s Keen off the reissue yet kept on Sorrow Will Come In The End.

actually...let me rephrase. I know WHY he kept Sorrow on there....,but he shouldn’t have.

Just glancing at the track list: title track, Alma Mtters, Trouble Loves Me, Ammunition, Wide To Receive, Roy’s Keen, He Cried, and Satan Rejected My Soul. All bangers. Still don’t know why he took Roy’s Keen off the reissue yet kept on Sorrow Will Come In The End.

actually...let me rephrase. I know WHY he kept Sorrow on there....,but he shouldn’t have.

The Papa Jack removal was sacrilegious!

Time to celebrate Fred. You just received your 100th thumb! Don't forget me :) Ooh I just noticed so did I! Spooky?

Last edited:

Neither do I. I've been nothing but caring and nurturing towards it. It will remain close to my bosom forever, and I don't even have bosoms. I only stopped at giving people beatings for not liking it :)

Happy to see you've come round and I agree with your appraisal, even if it was to take another gentle swipe at WPINOYB.

We await the "We all owe World Peace Is None Of Your Business an apology thread" in years to come!

I’m confused. I’ve had nothing but good things to say about WPINOYB from the onset!

I’m confused. I’ve had nothing but good things to say about WPINOYB from the onset!

Sorry mate that last part wasn't for you.

edited and corrected :)

The Papa Jack removal was sacrilegious!

Time to celebrate Fred. You just received your 100th thumb! Don't forget me :) Ooh I just noticed so did I! Spooky?

I will celebrate by listening to “Maladjusted” tomorrow, followed by “World Peace Is None Of Your Business”. My wife and oldest son will be happy, the youngest one will be livid as he hates that mom and I have been on such a Moz tear lately. We think he’s jealous :)

:thumb:
I will celebrate by listening to “Maladjusted” tomorrow, followed by “World Peace Is None Of Your Business”. My wife and oldest son will be happy, the youngest one will be livid as he hates that mom and I have been on such a Moz tear lately. We think he’s jealous :)

I will too seeing as though it's both out 100th Thumb day! :thumb:

That is hilarious about your son.

note: I will be listening to the original vinyl sans Sorrow...

On a somewhat obscure note does anyone else think there are multiple Father Ted references in "Maladjusted"?

"Papa Jack" could easily be an imaginary story of the enigmatic Father Jack's life prior to what he's become.

The "come on, come on, ah come on, come on, come on" in "Satan Rejected My Soul" is basically Mrs. Doyle's catch phrase "ah go on, go on, go on", essentially him pleading for Satan to take his soul as Mrs. Doyle pleaded for Father Ted to take her tea. Also the fact that that song talks about Satan and heaven -- Christianity and priests.

Last edited:

:thumb:

I will too seeing as though it's both out 100th Thumb day! :thumb:

That is hilarious about your son.

note: I will be listening to the original vinyl sans Sorrow...

Man, I wish I had that one on vinyl! I wish I could go back in time and stock up knowing that eventually vinyl would be “in” again :)

Man, I wish I had that one on vinyl! I wish I could go back in time and stock up knowing that eventually vinyl would be “in” again :)

Fortunately I don't keep up with what's in or out. Ignorance is bliss! :straightface:

Fortunately I don't keep up with what's in or out. Ignorance is bliss! :straightface:

Wish I did the same, at least in this regard. I was just young enough to be buying music when vinyl was on the way out (the early 90’s) and as you know that was the height of the CD era. Oh well. You live and learn. I have a decent amt of Moz / Smiths vinyl but mostly the represses.

i really really like the re release of maladjusted and play it way more than vauxhall. its just so relaxed and un morrissey in that way. its good aside from the title track which i can now just easily skip and pretend inst actually on the album. southpaw is his worst imo and i cant even play it though at least he put honey you know where to find me on the reissue which i love love. kill uncle is his second worst but that ones just slight and trite but not horrible. southpaw is the only morrissey album that i would rate as a bad album.

Wish I did the same, at least in this regard. I was just young enough to be buying music when vinyl was on the way out (the early 90’s) and as you know that was the height of the CD era. Oh well. You live and learn. I have a decent amt of Moz / Smiths vinyl but mostly the represses.

I remember resisting buying a CD player for quite some time. I didn't even realise there was a US vinyl version of Maladjusted. I have the UK Island pressing that doesn't have Sorrow Will Come In The End. I bought the US cd for that track. Now I want the US vinyl but I'm not paying $120 for it!

http://www.musicstack.com/item/6333488

I've always loved Maladjusted. I play it far more than Kill Uncle and a whole lot more than Years of Refusal or Quarry even.
World Peace is a masterpiece. Better than all of them.

It may very well deserve an apology, but that has nothing to do with 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'.

I don't find 'Maladjusted' better than that album (although I still like it), but we should be judging them on their own merit and not by comparison.

Maladjusted is very patchy but leagues ahead of World Peace.

Years of Refusal is, however, the second best solo album thus far.

Maladjusted is very patchy but leagues ahead of World Peace.

Years of Refusal is, however, the second best solo album thus far.

Years of Refusal: isn't that the one you said you initially dismissed and only realised recently that you liked it... before going on to dismiss World Peace?
Oops!
Can anyone else see a pattern emerging there?

Back
Top Bottom