Is Morrissey's career as we know it (1982-2014) basically over?

Is Morrissey's career as we know it (1982-2014) basically over?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Touring isn't everything.
Remember Morrissey's greatest triumph - 'Vauxhall and I'? He didn't play a single tour date in support of that album.

The tour cancellation is a big setback after a great start to the World Peace… era, but the spoken word videos have been really nice, there's a new album +extra tracks coming out which people will buy whether or not he's on tour, and Morrissey is still, as always, in the news. Empirically speaking -- not over.

Refresh my memory, what was behind the cancellation?

Will he ever tour agaib or is a retirement announcement on the way?

The tour cancellation is a big setback after a great start to the World Peace… era, but the spoken word videos have been really nice, there's a new album +extra tracks coming out which people will buy whether or not he's on tour, and Morrissey is still, as always, in the news. Empirically speaking -- not over.

There was such great marketing going for this tour and album. He killed it by objecting to the perfectly normal Twitter campaign. Now by scotching the tour he's made it even worse. Even when he gets a record company to take him seriously and devote resources to promoting him, he shits on the deal.

I'm sure there will always be someone who can be convinced to give him another chance, but why anyone would bother at this point I don't know. Being a musician is a job and he's never been willing to do the dirty, business-work of it. That's why so many artistically mediocre musicians end up with great careers. They're willing to do the hustle. Not saying it's nice or fair or right. But it is a condition of the market.

No one knows the real reason he cancelled. He initially claimed the entire band and crew were sick with a virus. Kristeen Young said no, she only had allergies. He retaliated by kicking her off the tour. She double down with more truth. Then he cancelled the remainder of the tour. Why any of it had to happen, no one knows.

It's all stupid.

Morrissey's career is always over as we basically know it and yet he rebounds. The break up of the Smiths, Kill Uncle, the lackluster performance of Southpaw/Maladjusted, the First Wilderness Years, the Second Wilderness years, last year's cancellations, etc. were all deemed to be irrefutable nails in the coffin. Yet, he came back.

This time though it looks like he's going to have a deeper hole than ever to dig himself out of and I am not entirely sure how he is going to get over the recent cancellations. I would say for certain his career was over if he hadn't been so resilient in the past. Though I am not entirely sure how he's going to overcome the latest set of obstacles.

really, the guy has to face up to his age and schedule now more than like 2 gigs a week if he really wants to tour again :guitar:

Last edited:
His career is over in the sense that his writing and choice of songwriting partners is uninspired, and has been since he parted ways with Alain Whyte.

Will he continue touring? Yes.

But not only is he a shadow of the artist he was in The Smiths and the Vauxhall and I era, he's now not even a shadow of what he was just 10 years ago.

This question would have made sense 12 months ago, but to ask it now, you'd have to be an absolute f***wit.
He has a brand new album coming out in a month's time. Did you miss this information? 12 new songs will be on the main album, 18 on the deluxe version. First new album in 5 years. How can that mean his career is over, FFS?
His new songs are not works of genius but they are a hell of a lot better than the 'new' stuff he's been previewing since 2009.
The songs have his most imaginative arrangements in years, and he has a proper new songwriter for the first time since 2006.
Why on earth is this question being asked? Because a few dates on a tour have been cancelled?
Really, threads like this are just unbelievable.

I agree with all of this. He'll be back. The touring structure will need rejigged (and he could stand to lose that Donnie Knutson pain-in-the-ass), but he's got a supportive band behind him and a supportive audience, both of whom want to see him do his thing.

Enough to the same one person who so butthurt because they tried to harass Moz in public and Donnie stopped it.

Not yet.

He has another album left on his contract with UMG and EMI are always going to be willing to exhaust what is left of his back catalog with reissues. You'll see smaller tour legs in safe selling areas for him. I'd be very surprised if ever does a tour leg of 30 dates or more ever again. His career isn't over, but he is winding down.

When is the last time he completed an entire tour with no cancellations or postponements?

It is really sad to see that he's winding down his career. Is it a music thing? You look at actors in their 50s ( George Clooney, Brad Pitt) and it seems they have great stuff ahead.

What will be interesting is exactly what kind of deal Morrissey signed with Harvest. We know for years record companies were only interested in offering Morrissey what is known as a '360 deal', where they get a cut of touring income as well as record sales. Did he finally give in and sign one with Harvest? If Harvest have funded the latest disastrous US tour, then they will be out of pocket, and given his health Morrissey looks unlikely to have any long-term future as a touring artist. If he isn't phsycally able to go out on the road and earn money, the relationship between Morrissey and Harvest could hit the skids very quickly.

Personally, I think in today's climate, these two Harvest records will be Morrissey's final two solo records. I honestly can't see how they are going to be multi-million sellers that will rescue his career. Short of a desperate, last-minute attempt to reconnect with Marr, with all the attendant hype and publicity that will bring, I think we are in the end stages.

What will be interesting is exactly what kind of deal Morrissey signed with Harvest. We know for years record companies were only interested in offering Morrissey what is known as a '360 deal', where they get a cut of touring income as well as record sales. Did he finally give in and sign one with Harvest? If Harvest have funded the latest disastrous US tour, then they will be out of pocket, and given his health Morrissey looks unlikely to have any long-term future as a touring artist. If he isn't phsycally able to go out on the road and earn money, the relationship between Morrissey and Harvest could hit the skids very quickly.

Personally, I think in today's climate, these two Harvest records will be Morrissey's final two solo records. I honestly can't see how they are going to be multi-million sellers that will rescue his career. Short of a desperate, last-minute attempt to reconnect with Marr, with all the attendant hype and publicity that will bring, I think we are in the end stages.

How sad is that? At his age he's at the end. He looked to be at the end in 2000 as well.

He needs attention. All the time. When this well dries up he knows he can reform he Smiths. And he will.

His career is over in the sense that his writing and choice of songwriting partners is uninspired, and has been since he parted ways with Alain Whyte.

Will he continue touring? Yes.

But not only is he a shadow of the artist he was in The Smiths and the Vauxhall and I era, he's now not even a shadow of what he was just 10 years ago.

This.

Back
Top Bottom