"Istanbul" single (digital download) released (May 20, 2014)

Just downloaded from Amazon.
First listen - wow! Very Smiths-esque.

As noted by Ryan., the download is should also now be available to those who pre-ordered the album. CrystalGeezer notes the song is also now available on iTunes.

As mentioned by Uncleskinny, this release has not been publicized yet on Harvest Records' Twitter feed, TTY, or Morrissey's Official Facebook page.

Also now available on Spotify.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a lovely song. Beautiful music and Mozz poetry. He's back! When he gets it right no one can touch him.

I love the song but am I the only one that thinks it sounds like something you can strip to? That bass line !

Last edited:
I haven't heard this song yet, and I don't want to hear it, or any of the other new songs, until the album comes out.

To all those people, though, who are praising 'Istanbul' so highly, can I just ask, did you like 'You Are The Quarry'?

I haven't heard this song yet, and I don't want to hear it, or any of the other new songs, until the album comes out.

To all those people, though, who are praising 'Istanbul' so highly, can I just ask, did you like 'You Are The Quarry'?

Yes. Loved YATQ. And am praising Istanbul.

Hanging in at number 59 in the UK, 24hr download charts which is an encouraging sign. At this point after release 'WPINOYB' was already into the high 70's and was dropping fast. Hopefully this means that it's picking up sales from people other than Moz-philes.

EDIT: 2hr later and it's climbed to number 53! It's picking up steam!

Last edited:
Wow, I mean just wow. This is immense. The chord changes and chorus is beautiful, gorgeous. it's sad but warm, hopeful but macabre. Just like our Moz.

"I lean into a box of pine/ identify the kid is mine" absolutely genius, this album is going to be fantastic, I feel it. This is well on the way to being my favourite Morrissey single he's released for a long while, I'm on my 4th listen as I type this, it's softer and gentler than the tracks off YOR but it has balls and guts, it's stirring. I prefer Moz when he tells stories and paints out characters and personas, instead of him writing about the inevitable self. This gets a solid 10/10 from me. I don't care.

It is a beautiful single, every instrument is in harmony, balanced and Morrissey sounds gorgeous. That bass line though. *sigh* fantastic.

Well done Morrissey, happy birthday.

I still love you.

I could not agree more with you but it could well be that it is just the two of us....

Cheers Moz

I could not agree more with you but it could well be that it is just the two of us....

Cheers Moz

Make that three.

I'm a hopeless 20th Century Boy ~ I'll wait until I have my hands on my CD {preferably Deluxe} and play the album as it was meant to be heard.....in pitch dark, dead drunk, with tears streaming down porcelain skin.

Just kidding! But no, album tracked as intended by Moz. Fade in to fade out. Repeat. etcetera....

Now I wasn't standing there in California a fortnight ago with my fingers in my ears going LA LA LA during the 3 new songs, so I guess it's kind of moot. But, to the best of my abilities, I will attempt to avoid the new songs and sounds until I have a physical, tangible object to insert into my device.

I did it when 'Years of Refusal' leaked aways upfront, and I'll do it this time around too. And I shall love every dreadful day of it :)

Incidentally, I seem to recall that many people on here at the time of the 'YoR' leak declared it to be 'his strongest since V*****ll', etc. So I'm always a wee bit suspicious of peoples reaction to such upfront releases. It tends to make some people more excitable in their reaction. I'm sure 'Istanbul' is a belter, but I don't mind waiting. Ish :o

This song is not even close to Now My Heart Is Full--seriously? The lyrics here are not as engaging and personal to the listener as NMHIF. How many us have gay prostitutes for children--come on now.

Why can't you who never question anything Morrissey does actually be openminded and critical of him when he does not produce quality?

So far, none of the new songs on this release would make a B side to the good old days of Boz, Alain, Gary, and Spencer. This group he has now--and the repetitive lyrics that are so faulty--mean another sorry release.

Proof, please?

There's something 'November Spawned a Monster' about 'Istanbul'. Heavy on bass. Dark ,dramatic, driven. Cinematic.

Also, I like 'World Peace is None of Your Business' more when I listen to it after 'Istanbul'. Context is everything, I suppose.

Looking forward to the album.

Sounds like a crappy B-Side in my opinion. Worst of the four new songs I've heard.

I think both songs are stronger than anything since Your Are the Quarry and I say that level headedly. "Istanbul" is unique and is the type of song that is engaging musically right away just because it is fresh and interesting.

So far this album seems like a nice change from the repetitive themes of the last three albums. You Are the Quarry I felt was totally necessary given the circumstances -- self justification and some scathing lyrics were appropriate but the same themes seemed to bleed into Ringleader and Refusal too much for my liking.

I have read some people expressing their desire for more personally relatable songs as far as the remaining songs from the new album and while the first two singles don't possess the personal and emotional quality a lot of people are looking for they are musically, lyrically, and also notably vocally -- very strong efforts. Neither song sees Morrissey going on about how he isn't sorry for this, is OK by himself, or death is imminent and for me that's fine because I kind of got the point already.

Last edited:
This looks promising for people wanting the setlist changed up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom