JK Rowling recalls 'amazing' moment she met her idol Morrissey - The Guardian

And again, are you dumb or what? This is not NEWS. Not long ago she told exactly the same story. (And yes, please attack me, I'm quite used to it by now)

Whether it warrants legal investigation is a slightly subjective question. What I'm saying is it makes you vulnerable. But, that aside, it's still something you ought to have a word with yourself about.

The defence about just innocently making two independent observations is obvious bullshit and you know it, of course.

I'm legally in the clear. And don't second guess my motives. I know what I mean. You don't.

JK Rowling recalls 'amazing' moment she met her idol Morrissey - The Guardian

Excerpt:

JK Rowling has said that she wishes she could go back to her 16-year-old self, “who’s lying there in the dark with the joss sticks, listening to Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now”, and tell her that one day she will meet Morrissey – and that the Smiths singer will know who she is.

The novelist, who has sold over 450m copies of her Harry Potter books and whose almost 6m followers on Twitter regularly fall into paroxysms of delight when she responds to them personally, was speaking to Lauren Laverne for Saturday’s Weekend magazine. Rowling told Laverne that she understood why the Harry Potter book “still means so much” to adults in their 20s, “because I know how much it meant to me to meet Morrissey”.

Their encounter occurred in Harvey Nichols, revealed the self-confessed “big Smiths fan”. “We were looking at each other, getting nearer and nearer, and at almost exactly the same moment we both put out our hands. What was amazing to me was, Morrissey knew who I was,” said the novelist. “I was with my sister-in-law and she said, ‘Put. Your. Hand. Down.’ I was walking around afterwards with my hand out, like that ... I said, ‘Morrissey touched me!’ She said, ‘I know, you look stupid.’”

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
YOU'RE a f***ing idiot. It's a brand new Guardian article based on a brand new Lauren Laverne interview. So you can take your reflex German f***wittery and shove it up your capacious German arsehole. How conflicted you must be - I posted it, so you HAVE to respond in the negative - but it's a NEW article about Moz, and not, as most are recently, unkind. In the end, your reflex need won through. You can go jump off a f***ing bridge, you f***.
Ooooh the comment Diarrhea of Solo has a shit fit over a valid post, hit a nerve?

When you're pointing out that someone is German, and it has nothing to do with your point except, possibly to say that you can see where they post from, neither of those things puts you in the best light. What does their being German have to do with anything?
And when someone points out that your statement appears xenophobic and bigoted , and you run to look up the law instead of looking at what you posted and why they might get that impression from it, it makes you look like some kind of keyboard hooligan. If that is the impression you intended to make, carry on. Well done. But otherwise you might want to consider how others read it.

"There has to be an intent to stir up racial hatred." What does that sound like? It sounds like delusional Derek17 talking about how "slits for eyes" was a joke with no harm intended.

Never mind Derek17, how does this relate to Morrissey's totalisations of 1.3billion Chinese people as a 'sub-species'?

best
BB

I appreciate her Moz influences,
But I can not abide her books.
To me (flame away), I find her a wizarding equivalent of Enid Blyton... Where everything is so 'twee' that everyone battles dragons and is home in time for scones....
The ultimate irony (as I have moaned about before) is that the whole Hogwarts = a wizardly prep school being loved by working class people whilst they hate 'Tories' is just beyond funny. Rowling has a formulaic approach to writing fantasy and it works for the masses - for other, more sophisticated thinkers - other books are available.
Regardius Maximus,
FWD

Thanks Uncleskinny for posting this. Cute story. Nice to see a little brightness in these dark times.

'how I love all of
the very simple things of life
such a little thing
a fumbling politeness'

Oh you poor darling ! I forgot all about you being left In the wings on the recent posts.
It's been realy terrible around here the last few days please post some of your smiley facey things to lift the mood won't you !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Oh you poor darling ! I forgot all about you being left In the wings on the recent posts.
It's been realy terrible around here the last few days please post some of your smiley facey things to lift the mood won't you !

Benny-the-British-Butcher 

:thumb:

:lbf:

:rolleyes:

:guitar:

best
BB

Never mind Derek17, how does this relate to Morrissey's totalisations of 1.3billion Chinese people as a 'sub-species'?

best
BB

Well depending how you connect the dots the picture will look different. You've got these elements: sub-species, German person, Chinese people, slits for eyes, Morrissey, Uncle Skinny. I don't see any direct connection. I just don't think Morrissey is a role models for humanitarian diplomacy. I used Derek17 as an example because of his recent extended defense which I thought was a clear example of "doing it wrong." The "German" thing caught my eye the first time partly because it shows up twice in one sentence, and, as I wrote, I assumed intention. It's an angry post and so I don't think it's used in a complimentary way. I thought maybe the intention was to say that Uncle Skinny knows they are posting from Germany. That's still not really nice, but it's better than the alternative which is that the country a person is from was used as an insult, which seems to be a reasonable reading of the post. He seems to be saying it's neutral, now. In any case it was not inciting racial hatred, which is nice. I'm not stupid enough to say, "oh no, this clearly means that Uncle Skinny made a bigoted post," not because that's not my reading of it, but because who knows? I do know that when your defense is, "What I said was not against laws regarding hate speech," that you're probably saying something that a reasonable person might want to reconsider.
I felt that Morrissey's statement, "Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies," was made from anger, and I understand the anger that can come from seeing cruelty against helpless living beings, so I decided that his wording was unfortunate but I did not think that it was fair to reduce it to "Morrissey says 'Chinese people are a sub-species.' " Now I believe that he probably knew exactly what he was doing, essentially trolling.
I don't see the relevance, unless your point is to ask how they can criticize Uncle Skinny's choice of words while defending Morrissey. And if that's the point, I doubt the people that pointed this out are big fans of the "sub-species" comment. Maybe the focus is being pulled away from throwing Morrissey into flames, but I only voiced my opinion when Uncle Skinny started defending what he said. I ignored the actual post, but the defense of it is interesting.

4ck J K Rowling let's get back to the wizard of Moz and debunking.

I'm so sad. This week we've finally lost Morrissey to #ProfitfromParis. What a psycho he turned out to be.

I used to like him, but these days, it's embarrassing to even mention his name. I hope my signed memorabilia will keep their worth.

Goodbye my friends from the good old days, like SundownPlayboy, BB and Kenneth.

I'm off. I will beat the cancer and live happily ever after.

And thank you David T, for enabling all of this. We all owe you. A lot.

I'm so sad. This week we've finally lost Morrissey to #ProfitfromParis. What a psycho he turned out to be.

I used to like him, but these days, it's embarrassing to even mention his name. I hope my signed memorabilia will keep their worth.

Goodbye my friends from the good old days, like SundownPlayboy, BB and Kenneth.

I'm off. I will beat the cancer and live happily ever after.

Keep up the good fight Eric, I shall miss your witty contributions.

1) Angry man - nope, happiest I've ever been, I've got a fantastic life.
2) Legally dodgy ground? Horseshit - go ahead and do something about it. Prove your point.

Give us a bleedin' f***ing break, mate. You're the one of the most angry, hostile, bitter, loony f***ing blokes on the www. Always insulting someone, always shouting, always being...angry! Is this the happiest you've ever been? What kind of a life do you lead? You're on here every day, shouting, insulting people. I bet you'd beat...people (ahem)...up if you didn't have the internet, so I guess we should be grateful.

And the only horseshit is you defending your racist German rant. Up there with Moz's Chinese one.

Give yerself a break. Have a Boddington, and leave Morrissey and his world alone. Engage in something more positive.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom