Johnny Marr announces new double album

What's he supposed to do - produce a promo video where he's got grey hair, a bald patch, and is shuffling around with a walking stick and cardigan?

that would much cooler actually.

Johnny Marr now has the freedom to be applauded for any music he releases even if it is as bad as this track. The fact is his guitar playing said more to me than any of his lyrics and monotone vocals ever could.

What I mean is, regardless of a good or bad review, if interested in the movie, then it may be better to judge for yourself.

If the person doesn’t want to go in the first place, they may not enjoy the show no matter how good it is. They seem to have already decided that it’s not something they wish to experience.

Go on your own.

It was their idea, not mine. They thought it would be funny & camp to go see Moz in Las Vegas like Liberace or Wayne Newton. But yeah after seeing the setlists, we might skip it. Thanks.

The fact is his guitar playing said more to me than any of his lyrics and monotone vocals ever could.

You nailed it. It's sad that he can't see how much more eloquent his guitar-playing is than his singing and lyrics.

It was their idea, not mine. They thought it would be funny & camp to go see Moz in Las Vegas like Liberace or Wayne Newton. But yeah after seeing the setlists, we might skip it. Thanks.

‘Bad advice for the last time
And people being nice for the very first time
Oh, we're so glad
That you have finally decided !’

:tiphat:

Just listened to the single for the first time, and it’s definitely not a bad song. Strong chorus, nice driving energy in the verses and very cool soundscapes. Actually, it’s a great song and one of his best as a solo artist.

Just listened to the single for the first time, and it’s definitely not a bad song. Strong chorus, nice driving energy in the verses and very cool soundscapes. Actually, it’s a great song and one of his best as a solo artist.
No.
It's just cheese. The whole thing; the video, the posturing, the look, the lyrics, the music. It's just total embarrassing cheese.
It may well be "one of his best song as a solo artist", but it's actually not a "great song". Quattro formaggio.
As Moz may say: Johnny I hardly knew ye.

No.
It's just cheese. The whole thing; the video, the posturing, the look, the lyrics, the music. It's just total embarrassing cheese.
It may well be "one of his best song as a solo artist", but it's actually not a "great song". Quattro formaggio.
As Moz may say: Johnny I hardly knew ye.
After three albums with some good to great songs on them with a bit of filler material, I think Johnny Marr has finally reached the "This will do just fine" point. Spirit, Power and Soul sounds like the name for a Katy Perry album. We all want him to do well but this ain't no New Town Velocity.

‘Spirit Power and Soul’ pairs Marr’s classic six-string work with a driving electronic backing track that feels both fresh and confident. Unwavering in direction and infallible in delivery.

Marr adeptly manoeuvres his signature sound around icy synths and a club-ready beat. When the chorus hits that C# in the vocal melody (right as Marr sings the word “soul”) it’s enough to send shivers up your spine. For anyone that might have tuned out of his career around the time he started joining band’s like Modest Mouse and The Cribs, it would seem Marr has turned himself into a formidable singer on top of his lauded guitar skills.

“‘Spirit Power and Soul’ is a kind of mission statement,” Marr explained in a press release. “I had an idea about an electro sound with gospel feeling, in my own words… an electro soul anthem.”

After three albums with some good to great songs on them with a bit of filler material, I think Johnny Marr has finally reached the "This will do just fine" point. Spirit, Power and Soul sounds like the name for a Katy Perry album.

We all want him to do well but this ain't no New Town Velocity.

such a ‘high bar’ :rolleyes: :lbf:

Lyrics for thick people.

[Verse 1]
Yesterday is gone
Today I'm so on the run
How strange tomorrow will be
For you and for me
'Cause we got soul don'tcha know?
Now put your faith in the skies
And see the blues in my eyes

[Verse 2]
Now it’s starting to dawn
What in the world’s going on ?
I seen some shimmering things
Seen a vision in things
I’m so dumb don'tcha know ?
I’m steeling [sic] energy
Some for you some for me
The darkness comes
The night will fall
On and on we hear the call

[Chorus]
Now time has come
Spirit power and soul
And I get the feeling
Spirit power and soul

Hilariously, these can be found on genius.com

Yeah, these are pretty "genius" as well...

He can't dance or sing,
He can't do anything!
But what the hell?
The kid's a looker.

Just add cash and stir
And there you are
Another nonsense, non-star
(Da da, da da da da etc.)

There's no pretense,
This kid is dense
But what the hell?
The kid's a looker

Just add cash and stir
And the crash consumers line up
Shoulder to shoulder.
(La da la da da da etc.)

Sometime through the night
The kid shed his life
So very sad
However do not call this number again
We're busy moulding the face of the kid's replacement, yeah.
(La da da la da etc.)

He can't dance or sing,
He can't do anything!
But what the hell?
The kid's a looker.

Just add cash and stir
And there you are

There's no pretense,
This kid is dense
But what the hell?
The kid's a looker

Just add cash and stir
Shoulder to shoulder.
(La da la da da da etc.)

The kid shed his life
So very sad
(La da da la da etc.)

On purely objective terms, 'The Kid's A Looker' is a far better set of lyrics than 'Sprit, Soul and Hash' or whatever it's called. Morrissey's lyrics paint a clear picture of a youthful celeb, and have a couple of memorable phrases - "moulding the face of the kid's replacement", "Just add cash and stir" and are mildly humorous, so all in all, Morrissey packs quite a lot in there, for one of his lesser efforts.

Marr's piece of doggerel on the other hand begins with a tautology ("Yesterday is gone") and goes downhill from there with a string of vacuous, sub-Barney Sumner soundbites that mean precisely nothing. It sounds like a teenager's first effort at songwriting. You could literally make up drivel like this on the spot. In fact, here we go:

I've been looking deep inside myself
wond'ring what it is I can't find anymore
I've been finding ways to hide my love
living in the shadows, every day
I'm trying to score

Now I'm riding out;
this last train's
gonna take me through the night

Gotta shine that light
on something
so I know I'll be alright

When the Man calls out my number
dontcha see I'm gonna...

Oh f*** - etc etc. I could write this shit all night. And so can Johnny Marr, apparently.

On purely objective terms, 'The Kid's A Looker' is a far better set of lyrics than 'Sprit, Soul and Hash' or whatever it's called. Morrissey's lyrics paint a clear picture of a youthful celeb, and have a couple of memorable phrases - "moulding the face of the kid's replacement", "Just add cash and stir" and are mildly humorous, so all in all, Morrissey packs quite a lot in there, for one of his lesser efforts.

Marr's piece of doggerel on the other hand begins with a tautology ("Yesterday is gone") and goes downhill from there with a string of vacuous, sub-Barney Sumner soundbites that mean precisely nothing. It sounds like a teenager's first effort at songwriting. You could literally make up drivel like this on the spot. In fact, here we go:

I've been looking deep inside myself
wond'ring what it is I can't find anymore
I've been finding ways to hide my love
living in the shadows, every day
I'm trying to score

Now I'm riding out;
this last train's
gonna take me through the night

Gotta shine that light
on something
so I know I'll be alright

When the Man calls out my number
dontcha see I'm gonna...

Oh f*** - etc etc. I could write this shit all night. And so can Johnny Marr, apparently.

Johnny Marr - https://www.bmg.com/de/artist/johnny-marr

Morrissey - https://www.bmg.com/sc/artist/Morrissey

I have liked some of the music on Marr's solo albums, but I agree with the posters above that he was not meant to be a lyricist. It is actually remarkable how utterly incomprehensible his lyrics are. They just don't make any sense. Which I find a little odd, because in his interviews he comes across as pretty articulate and witty. Oh well.

I'm guessing this is intended to imply that Johnny Marr must be a Great Artist, as he has a string of gigs lined up, whilst Morrissey by the same reckoning, must not be. This is, of course, an idiotic argument. The more stupid and undiscerning people are, the easier it is to sell crap to them (as long as they have money to waste). As long as it's your money you're spending and not mine, I've no objection to how you spend it. Help to pack out those gigs, by all means.

He can't dance or sing,
He can't do anything!
But what the hell?
The kid's a looker.

Just add cash and stir
And there you are

There's no pretense,
This kid is dense
But what the hell?
The kid's a looker

Just add cash and stir
Shoulder to shoulder.
(La da la da da da etc.)

The kid shed his life
So very sad
(La da da la da etc.)
Would you prefer some tedious abstract lyrics?

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom