Johnny Marr announces new double album

Sounds alright to me on first listen.
Who cares if Marr's lyrics are not all that great, according to some folk? They dont have to be.
Every lyric doesn't have to be a work of absolute genius...

This song came up on youtube today and I was unpleasantly surprised. I went through some of his older songs and had completely forgotten his third album Call the Comet even existed, his solo work peaked early with New Town Velocity.

I almost feel like his work with Hans Zimmer has influenced his guitar playing for the worse. A better singer, or just a singer who had a knack for interesting vocal melodies, could possibly get away with this atmospheric, repetitive guitar playing, but with Johnny singing it is a chore to listen to.

I have liked some of the music on Marr's solo albums, but I agree with the posters above that he was not meant to be a lyricist. It is actually remarkable how utterly incomprehensible his lyrics are. They just don't make any sense. Which I find a little odd, because in his interviews he comes across as pretty articulate and witty. Oh well.
Exactly - Johnny is intelligent and well-read, so how (or rather why) does he comes up with such nonsense?

As usual with Johnny, I get the impression that he wants to avoid 'rocking the boat' with lyrics that are too personal (or likely to be scrutinised for Smiths/Moz mentions) - which is fair enough, he doesn't want controversy. But God, he needs some better ideas for topics - 'Spirit, Soul and Hash' is the perfect description for this cosmic stoner crap.

Sounds alright to me on first listen.
Who cares if Marr's lyrics are not all that great, according to some folk? They dont have to be.
Every lyric doesn't have to be a work of absolute genius...

Agree and the views of a handful of posters on this site don't represent the views of the wider public and BMG, who seem to like it.

Agree and the views of a handful of posters on this site don't represent the views of the wider public and BMG, who seem to like it.

Not so. Only a small percentage of "the wider public" have actually bought his records - the large majority has not.

As testified to by the sales figures of his records, it's therefore the views of the "handful of posters on this site" who are completely unimpressed by his records, that truly represent "the wider public".

Therefore BMG's liking it has got nothing to do with the views of the wider public. They'll like it if it makes a profit. As noted above, the fact that it does make a profit says nothing about its inherent aesthetic worth.

In other words, your constant response to criticism of Marr's records is a defensive "well, the record company likes it" or "other people like it". So what? That says nothing about the aesthetic worth of his records.

But I accept that the kind of people who lap Marr's songs up aren't going to be capable of employing their critical faculties to assess it, since they evidently don't have any.

Not so. Only a small percentage of "the wider public" have actually bought his records - the large majority has not.

As testified to by the sales figures of his records, it's therefore the views of the "handful of posters on this site" who are completely unimpressed by his records, that truly represent "the wider public".

Therefore BMG's liking it has got nothing to do with the views of the wider public. They'll like it if it makes a profit. As noted above, the fact that it does make a profit says nothing about its inherent aesthetic worth.

In other words, your constant response to criticism of Marr's records is a defensive "well, the record company likes it" or "other people like it". So what? That says nothing about the aesthetic worth of his records.

But I accept that the kind of people who lap Marr's songs up aren't going to be capable of employing their critical faculties to assess it, since they evidently don't have any.
correct, besides his good buddy "Bernard" wrote in his dumb book that :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: is mentally limited and didnt know anything but sucky music so its doubtful hes even read a book:lbf:

oi "wider public", he cant sell a 200 seater FFS:hammer:

Spinach, flour & salt...

Now, that would have been interesting!

Someone should do a cookbook album. But not Morrissey, it would be all bland potato dishes and toast and beans on the side. Lol.

Exactly - Johnny is intelligent and well-read, so how (or rather why) does he comes up with such nonsense?

As usual with Johnny, I get the impression that he wants to avoid 'rocking the boat' with lyrics that are too personal (or likely to be scrutinised for Smiths/Moz mentions) - which is fair enough, he doesn't want controversy. But God, he needs some better ideas for topics - 'Spirit, Soul and Hash' is the perfect description for this cosmic stoner crap.
Why so hysterical about Johnny Marr lyrics? It’s a dance song with an uplifting message. The lyrics fit fine. Geez.

Why so hysterical about Johnny Marr lyrics? It’s a dance song with an uplifting message. The lyrics fit fine. Geez.

There is nothing uplifting about idiocy - and the lyrics are idiotic. How ironic that somebody would post a message like yours on a Morrissey website of all places.

Not one of his most melodically compelling songs, but a solid dance track. I don't listen to Johnny for the lyrics, and 99.9% of rock lyrics are dumb anyway, so I see no need to hold his to Morrissey standards (and Morrissey has had PLENTY of rough lyrics in recent years, but the "Dog" album was a good improvement). Anyway, looking forward to what else he's got coming up. With 16 new songs, we should get a good variety of styles.

There is nothing uplifting about idiocy - and the lyrics are idiotic. How ironic that somebody would post a message like yours on a Morrissey website of all places.
Oh another hysterical response, how unironic on a Morrissey site. The nice thing is you’re probably going to be hearing a lot of this song and you’ll probably grow to like it.

Hardly hysterical.

Oh another hysterical response, how unironic on a Morrissey site. The nice thing is you’re probably going to be hearing a lot of this song and you’ll probably grow to like it.

You're wrong on both counts.

Firstly, you clearly don't understand what 'hysterical' means - a simple statement of fact is not hysterical. So in describing a statement of fact as "hysterical" you're either employing the word for no reason, or you're implying that you think the lyrics to 'Spirit, Power and Soul' are not idiotic - which doesn't speak wonders for your own intelligence.

Secondly, I won't be hearing it a lot, as I can and do choose what music I listen to. Evidently it has never occurred to you to do the same.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom