Johnny Marr banned from driving

Naughty Johnny. I hate speeder.

But I do love the fact that J'en ai marr means 'I've had enough' in French. Which felt like an uncanny coincidence back in the day.

Now for MOTD

But I do love the fact that J'en ai marr means 'I've had enough' in French. Which felt like an uncanny coincidence back in the day.

Now for MOTD

Guess he'll have more time to sit home and tweet now.

Marr should appeal this. He is patently a victim of the British state, and their Imperialist running dog lackies in the GMP traffic police.This country is in a sorry state if a clean living pavement pounding vegetarian millionaire cannot drive at almost twice the legal limit, then have that compounded further by being deliberately trapped "speeding" twice more subsequently, and then, to add insult to injury, have the courts take the side of the anti-Irish racists who have kept the sons and daughters of the Emerald Isle under their jackboot for centuries.We can only thank the Lord that some irresponsible idiot was not trying to cross the road at the time.

Marr should appeal this. He is patently a victim of the British state, and their Imperialist running dog lackies in the GMP traffic police.This country is in a sorry state if a clean living pavement pounding vegetarian millionaire cannot drive at almost twice the legal limit, then have that compounded further by being deliberately trapped "speeding" twice more subsequently, and then, to add insult to injury, have the courts take the side of the anti-Irish racists who have kept the sons and daughters of the Emerald Isle under their jackboot for centuries.We can only thank the Lord that some irresponsible idiot was not trying to cross the road at the time.

I like this. I see a career in Private Eye.

P.

It seems that Mr. Barleycorn is quite preoccupied with anti-Irishness; perhaps he has a penchant for such things?

Now for MOTD

Maybe he can hire Joyce, Michael as his chauffeur ....

It seems that Mr. Barleycorn is quite preoccupied with anti-Irishness; perhaps he has a penchant for such things?

No, I dislike hypocrites of all nations, Maher being a rather fine example it seems to me.

The logic of Barleycorn's post is that Marr's professional success, and occasional speeding, negate the prejudices he experienced as a youth.

Does he wish to downplay all forms of anti-immigrant prejudice, or only those directed at the Irish?

No, I dislike hypocrites of all nations, Maher being a rather fine example it seems to me.

Marr's hypocrisy, according to Barleycorn, is that he (a) experienced anti-Irish prejudice as a youth, and then (b) became rich and broke the speed limit.

The implication, then, is that Marr's success, and driving, diminishes any of the prejudice he experienced as a youth.

Hi Johnny Barleycorn,

Johnny Barleycorn I want to talk to you Johnny Barleycorn. I completely agree with everything you say. You are a smart man Jolly Barleycorn.

Thank you for posting.

The logic of Barleycorn's post is that Marr's professional success, and occasional speeding, negate the prejudices he experienced as a youth.

Does he wish to downplay all forms of anti-immigrant prejudice, or only those directed at the Irish?

No, my argument is that to hear a millionaire whining about the country which provided him and his family with free education and healthcare, and the relative peace and comfort to nurture his prodigious talent is galling.

To add to this his irresponsible behaviour behind the wheel makes me ponder just what Marr has done of any artistic merit since August 1987 and if he instead moved to a country he did not loathe what would we be losing apart from the chance of being run over in the street by an eighties rock star?

Re: Article: Johnny Marr banned from drivingngbetid the

No, my argument is that to hear a millionaire whining about the country which provided him and his family with free education and healthcare, and the relative peace and comfort to nurture his prodigious talent is galling.

To add to this his irresponsible behaviour behind the wheel makes me ponder just what Marr has done of any artistic merit since August 1987 and if he instead moved to a country he did not loathe what would we be losing apart from the chance of being run over in the street by an eighties rock star?

Marr and his family were happy to be in England, and appreciated the opportunities this offered. But they also experienced prejudice. These things co-exist. The poster sees Marr's account of prejudice as merely 'whining about the country which provided him ... '. This suggests that any account of prejudice is merely 'whining'. It equates racism with having a sore knee. The poster claims that Marr 'loathes' England. This is untrue. He simply dislikes nationalism of any kind (English, Irish or other).

I crashed out in the cross-bar and the pain was enough to make an 80's ,"has-been", like me, reflect and plan a reunion!

Marr and his family were happy to be in England, and appreciated the opportunities this offered. But they also experienced prejudice. These things co-exist. The poster sees Marr's account of prejudice as merely 'whining about the country which provided him ... '. This suggests that any account of prejudice is merely 'whining'. It equates racism with having a sore knee. The poster claims that Marr 'loathes' England. This is untrue. He simply dislikes nationalism of any kind (English, Irish or other).

The Irish are not a "race".

The Irish are not a "race".

No, but that didn't bother those racists who wanted to see them as such.

As Lynda Boose has explained: ‘If “race” originates as a category that hierarchically privileges a ruling status and makes the Other(s) inferior, then for the English the group that was first to be shunted into this discursive derogation and thereafter invoked as almost a paradigm of inferiority was not the black 'race’ – but the Irish ‘race’.

The historian L.P. Curtis explains that anti-Irish prejudice was 'one of the largest secular trends in English cultural history'.

This prejudice continued into the late twentieth century, as detailed by Liz Curtis (see the title of John Lydon's autobiography, No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs).

Marr's brief reference to this prejudice was described in one post as 'whining'. This downplays such prejudice, and equates it with, say, having a sore knee.

Another post implied that Marr could not (a) claim to be a vegan of Irish descent if he then (b) got rich and drove fast. The idea that (b) invalidates (a) makes no sense.

Another post claimed it was 'galling' that Marr, having made a success of himself, could even mention this prejudice. Perhaps it is more 'galling' that a young man of such talent (and such affection for England) had to deal with such prejudice in the first place.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom