Johnny Marr Book Tour Dates US & UK

docinwestchester

JOHNNY ANNOUNCES TWO BOOK EVENTS IN LONDON & MANCHESTER - johnny-marr.com

Johnny has announced two book events to coincide with the release of his autobiography SET THE BOY FREE which is published on 3rd November 2016.

Monday 7th November – RNCM, Manchester part of the Manchester Literary Festival
Thursday 10th November– The Barbican, London

38921_marr_autobiography_back.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder how much hell devote to the smiths and if he'll get a bunch of crap like morrissey did for not making his whole bio a the story of the smiths. Also wonder how much he'll talk about the drama or if it'll be a bunch of recording info and dates. It'll be neat to hear how he wrote the songs though

I'm not expecting the whole thing to be devoted to the Smiths, but as long as he spends more time talking about his time in the band than moaning about Mike Joyce and the court case, I'll be happy.

I notice Amazon have the full cover blurb - is this new? Can't remember if it's been previously posted:

‘I saw Johnny Marr live in person, with The Smiths. He was light on his feet; like quicksilver. He caused the band to swing like crazy. And he smoked his cigarette like a star. I’ve been influenced ever since.’ Iggy Pop

Johnny Marr was born in 1960s Manchester to Irish emigrant parents and knew from an early age that he would be a musician. Forming his first band at thirteen, Marr spent his teenage years on the council estates of Wythenshawe playing guitar, devouring pop culture and inventing his own musical style.

It wasn't until the early eighties, when Marr turned up on the doorstep of a singer named Steven Patrick Morrissey, that both a unique songwriting partnership and the group recognised as one of the most iconic bands of all time were formed. In 1983 The Smiths released their first single, and within a year their eponymous debut album reached number two in the UK chart, paving the way for mainstream and critical success on their own terms.

For Marr, tensions within the band and desire for a wider musical scope led to his departure from The Smiths in 1987, ensuring the end of one of the most influential British groups of a generation.

But this was just the beginning for Marr. From forming Electronic and The Healers to playing with Bryan Ferry, Talking Heads, Kirsty MacColl, Pet Shop Boys, Billy Bragg, Nile Rodgers and Bert Jansch. From joining The Pretenders, The The, Modest Mouse and The Cribs to recently collaborating with Hans Zimmer and receiving acclaim and worldwide success in his own right as a solo artist, Marr has never stopped. Here, for the first time, he tells his own side of the story.

From roaming the streets of Manchester to constantly pushing musical boundaries as the most loved guitarist Britain has ever produced, Johnny Marr’s memoir is the true history of music - told by one of its very own legends.

I'm not expecting the whole thing to be devoted to the Smiths, but as long as he spends more time talking about his time in the band than moaning about Mike Joyce and the court case, I'll be happy.

Yeah. Doubt there will be as much of that though I would be interested to see his current opinion on the ruling. Like you said though I'd prefer a much more condensed comment on the subject

A really important event. Morrissey's career depends on the outcome of all this. If Marr blasts Morrissey, making a Smith's reunion impossible, then there's no way Morrissey will get another mainstream record deal. If Marr doesn't tell the truth about his dodgy dealings alongside Morrissey towards Rourke and Joyce, then Marr destroys his own credibility which was only salvaged by pulling out of the absurd court case.

Can't wait to read this book as I've always thought Marr was the real engine of the The Smiths, the entire soundtrack landscape of the band comes from his musical education, not Morrissey's tawdry Art-hound Magpie pick'n'mix

Johnny always was a slight rock'n'roll cliche. Good chowns but nanty riah.

Whereas Morrissey - desperate for fame, money, a record contract and a hit single - isn't like anybody else in pop-music. Wake the f*** up.

These days, Morrissey's only distinguishing characteristic is that, at the age of almost-60, he's still trying to use teenage angst as a marketable commodity.

Incidentally, have you seen his quiff these days? It's been shite for more than fifteen years.

Whereas Morrissey - desperate for fame, money, a record contract and a hit single - isn't like anybody else in pop-music. Wake the f*** up.

These days, Morrissey's only distinguishing characteristic is that, at the age of almost-60, he's still trying to use teenage angst as a marketable commodity.

Incidentally, have you seen his quiff these days? It's been shite for more than fifteen years.

If Morrissey was just about wanting fame, money, a record contract and a hit single he could get all that before the year is out by playing the game. He would also be able to afford a hair transplant.

JOHNNY ANNOUNCES TWO BOOK EVENTS IN LONDON & MANCHESTER - johnny-marr.com

Johnny has announced two book events to coincide with the release of his autobiography SET THE BOY FREE which is published on 3rd November 2016.

Monday 7th November – RNCM, Manchester part of the Manchester Literary Festival
Thursday 10th November– The Barbican, London

38921_marr_autobiography_back.jpg

How interesting Johnny Marr decided to publish an autobiography so soon after Morrissey did. I guess his writing will be more mainstream and it will follow the standard of what a biography is like. Let's face it, he was the one who made The Smiths disappear and now he wants some attention back with solo albums and a 'if Morrissey did it, I'll do it too' autobiography. He's aloud too and deserves it, but...

If Morrissey was just about wanting fame, money, a record contract and a hit single he could get all that before the year is out by playing the game. He would also be able to afford a hair transplant.

Get a grip. It's not 1989 anymore.

Mike and Andy could do an autobiography together. It would be the most wonderful compendium of lawnmower parts, I'm sure.

Crykey!..who cares...I almost ran over this guy on Highway 1 in Malibu when he was out jogging with his Dodger hoodie on. He just ripped off Roger McGuinn's style of playing like all those other Brit Rock "manc" bands from the 80's. I reckon can we post about some book signings about the best Smiths guitarist Craig Gannon?

You know that Morrissey-Marr "The Severed Alliance" do private gigs all over the USA for IBM, Apple, Chevrolet, Nike, and New Balance execs trying to relive their youth and get paid very handsomely... right?

Last edited:
I just hope there is a lot of info about writing the music itself. Which as nice as morrisseys book was, lacked in that area.

I just hope there is a lot of info about writing the music itself. Which as nice as morrisseys book was, lacked in that area.

That's true but to be fair it was a biography about morrissey the person and not a band bio. I think Johnny will probably deliver more on the subject though if I had to guess

Back
Top Bottom